News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Medway Fire Station  (Read 12222 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: Medway Fire Station
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 11:47:40 »
I always remember the fire station in New Cut. I also remember, back in the 50s, when the firemen were needed, they used the old air raid siren to call them in.

To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 19:35:13 »
Hi hollands and welcome to the Forum. :)

What a cracking photograph! Two Commer K1's (Water tender/ladder) and Water tender, and the Bedford Turntable ladder). I'm guessing that photograph was taken from 1967 onwards. The K1's began to be replaced during the mid 60's by the K2 and the TTL was there until 1980 when it was replaced by the Simon Snorkel Hydraulic platform.

hollands

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 22:37:29 »
Added a new smaller version below.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 17:02:22 »
Hello GP :)

The Steam Pump that was restored by Claud's generosity was the Bromley Steamer, not the Speedwell. See my posting on 15/10/2010 for info regarding the Speedwell's restoration.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 20:21:39 »
The steam engine was restored by a donation from Claud Everden, in memory of his wife Margaret. He was a former Officer in charge of the Gillingham retained Fire Station, and lived in Second Avenue, Gillingham.

It was presented back to the fire museum at a ceremony at Medway Fire Station, and was pulled round the yard by horses provided by John Weir (undertaker).

The steam engine was fired up and demonstrated water pumping.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:23 »
Here it is outside Medway Fire Station, taken from an old Open Day programme. Interestingly, the text says that it stood there until the early 1970's, but speaking to the Curator yesterday who was in the brigade at the time, he seems to think that it was removed earlier than that; around 1968/69.

I have ongoing research relating to the Medway Towns Fire Service so I will see what I can turn up when I next use their archives.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 20:54:44 »

I distinctly remember seeing it as a child from the bus on the way to the Gaumont. I'm pretty sure the film was "Lady and the Tramp". There's trivia for you!

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 18:22:49 »
Hello smiffy.  :)

Yes, indeed!.  It was Hythe's Steamer "Speedwell." It went to Medway as a static exhibit around 1957 and was there until the late 60's although the exact date that it was removed isn't known. The decision to remove it was taken because of theft and vandalism during its last years there (the brass chimney was stolen) and also, a lot of kids throughout the 60's were regularly chased off by the firemen for sitting on it, (including me!!)   

From Medway, it went to Headcorn Fire Station where it spent a good many years in storage and from there it moved to Chatham Dockyard in the early 90's, where it stayed until 2000 when a Mr Drewitt from Epsom took custody, during which time, it has been fully restored.

Movement information courtesy of KFRS Museum Curator

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 15:08:10 »
I'm sure they had an old horse drawn appliance on display outside the station at some time. If I'm right I think it may have been moved to the museum in Maidstone.

merc

Medway Fire Station
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 15:30:15 »
I found this interesting article amongst some newspaper cuttings we have :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines