Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Ghuznee Fort/Countryman, Gillingham [i]  (Read 5893 times)

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Re: The Ghuznee Fort/Countryman, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 19:21:56 »
New pub sign
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 19:20:33 »
Although very sad to lose yet another historic Gillingham pub some consolation can be taken in knowing its very attractive and distinctive exterior is to be preserved. I've always loved admiring those old tiles whenever I've walked past the building. The interior conversion into residential use seems to be done to a very high standard, at least the building's identity will be maintained and not be demolished to become just another bland modern set of flats.

I particular like the way they've even put up a traditional pub sign with the name of the new building, Countryman Cottages.

It's a shame we've never found out when or why the change from Ghuznee Fort to The Countryman.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 20:16:51 »
Davpott, the only reason it is boarded up like it is, is because the boards were on the inside, and vandals smashed the windows, so none of the windows are intact. So I was told.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 16:29:56 »
My photo I took today, 6th of April, 2017.   The pub is now being made into flats.  The outside is staying the same.

A sad day. But an unfortunate trend of our times.

Now that the property is properly secured I will post the pictures I took when we viewed inside the pub late 2015.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 66
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 18:55:34 »
There's a wonderful description of the actual battle with a lot of paintings,maps etc. to be found here

http://www.britishbattles.com/first-afghan-war/battle-of-ghuznee/
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 20:26:25 »
My photo I took today, 6th of April, 2017.   The pub is now being made into flats.  The outside is staying the same.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 16:33:39 »

The Ghuznee Fort April 1982. My father Frederick Pott right (died 2009) with a still 20 something me David Pott on left.

A picture on fox street taken about two years earlier.

Offline misseda paeg

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 18:02:25 »
I celebrated my 21st birthday at the Ghuznee Fort, in the hall at the back upstairs, where all the furniture consisted of tables & chairs made from the old beer barrels.

BONZO

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 15:40:51 »
Previous landlords can be found here: -

http://deadpubs.co.uk/KentPubs/Gillingham/GhuzneeFort.shtml

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 14:58:51 »
The Ghuznee was my great grandfather's pub from about 1894 until his death in 1906.

The top photo was taken about 1980, perhaps a little earlier. Somwhere I have a few more taken about 1982-3 after the pub had been done-up and looked much as it does in the pictures posted earlier (I'll post them when I find them). Inside there were a number of framed photos that the current landlord had found in the attic. They were all taken about the same time as the older picture posted here when my great grandfather was landlod. Unfortunately I never got around to taking copies of the pictures, and on my next visit to the pub in the early 90s the interior is as sparten as it was a couple of years ago.

Frederick is standing in the doorway, unfortunately there is no record that I know of any of the others in the photo.

Frederick Pott was born March 1853 at Mud Row Eastchurch Sheppey died 6 August 1906 at the Ghuznee Fort Hotel, Gillingham. He is recorded as being a member of the court leet and was one of the court's members on Gillingham's incorporation commitee; he was also in the local masons who I was told by my father used to meet in the function room of the Ghuznee. He married Ann Simmonds June 1874 Preston next Faversham.
He is first recorded in the Medway area in the 1881 census living in Bryant Street Chatham where he was a dockyard labourer. In 1891 he had moved around the corner to 22 Church Street where he is recorded as a watchmaker. He took over the Ghuznee after the death of his uncle Robert Pott who was  landlord of the Wellington Arms, New road Chatham from 1861 until his death 1893. His uncle died childless and left his estate to his nephews and nieces with Frederick getting a much larger share than the others.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 16:20:31 »
Not much help, but I think it was still called the Ghuznee Fort in 1992, my Dad lived very close to it.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 349
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton: Then & Now
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 15:54:43 »
Has anyone got any pictures when it was still the Ghunzee?  And can anyone remember when the name changed?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 349
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton: Then & Now
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 22:39:46 »
Although now called 'The Countryman' this pub was originally called  the Ghunzee Fort. It takes its name from a great fortress in the Khyber Pass, captured in 1839 by blowing up the main Kabal Gate as mining and escalading were impossible. Many Royal Engineers from the nearby School of Military Engineering, were involved in the action and brought the name back with them.

I'm not sure exactly when the name was changed to the Countrymen, or why.

Photos from February 2011

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 22:02:05 »
It's still there, it's called The Countryman, it's at the Saunders St. end of Fox St.

Offline ETA

• Appreciation 1
The Ghuznee Fort/Countryman, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 21:48:32 »
I remember there used to be a pub in the Black Lion area of Gillingham called The Ghuznee Fort.  The story I heard was that it was named as a memorial to the Sappers who were killed at Ghuznee in the First Afghan War, and that the only other memorial to that battle was one in Cambridgeshire (Saffron Waldon, maybe?).  I believe the pub was renamed - possibly the Welcome Stranger - and that it has now shut down.

Can anyone shed light on why it was renamed and what happened to it, or even whether the military connection is correct or just a local myth?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines