News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kent Beer Bottles  (Read 49617 times)

darrenlink

Re: Kent Beer Bottles
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 12:03:26 »
Thank you so much snodlandmalc, sheppey_bottles and seafordpete for all your wonderful responses.  Seeing the photos of the mineral water factories and all of those Lyle mineral water bottles is fascinating.  I wish I had such a wonderful collection of Lyle bottles!!!

I found the following website and the style of the bottles is very similar
http://www.swanseabottles.com/Brighton%20page.htm
Does the style of bottle originate from south Wales?  Arthur John Monkley Lyle and Daniel Thomas James Lyle were born in Cardiff.

Snodlandmalc: The D.T.J. Lyle bottle on the far right of your photo has Strood & Crayford below the crest.  It looks as though Daniel Thomas James Lyle also had a factory in London Road, Crayford as shown in the following photo:  (I wonder where the Strood site was?)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andytakersdad/1348055793/

Another photo of the same building (by the same person) suggests the building was also a former R. White's factory!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andytakersdad/2770620188/

Here is the streetview link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4+London+Road,+Crayford,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.451645,0.177586&spn=0.001397,0.003449&sll=51.451663,0.177616&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&layer=c&cbp=13,325.68,,0,1.52&cbll=51.451645,0.177586&hnear=4+London+Rd,+Crayford,+Greater+London+DA1+4,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=0&panoid=OS3TICK9RGSAFUb3BUIS7A

AnDy: My dad believes that my uncle has a Lyle mineral water bottle with a marble in the top.  I will speak to him soon.

seafordpete: I see what you mean about the brackets on the King Street, Maidstone building.  They are in the same position as the bottle in the photo posted by sheppey_bottles.  I had a good look on street view.

I may well take a trip to Maidstone tomorrow to take a look at the building and visit maidstone museum.

sheppey_bottles: I like the photo of the Lyle works on fire which you think is Tunbridge Wells.  Are you able to confirm that this was the business of Alexander Charles Lyle?
The following link shows his death details.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/39731/pages/6849/page.pdf
Do you have any idea where this photo was taken in Tunbridge wells?  He died at Chatswood, Culverden Park, Tunbridge Wells, Kent but that may have been his home rather than his business.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Darren

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 14:01:39 »
Thank you Sheppey Bottles for your kind words,I did have more from the other towns but rather rashly sold them ! Great picture,never seen that one before,the one I remember was taken from the corner looking down King St.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 11:12:51 »
Took a photo of that picture in my book as scanner is still playing up...see my previous post for details and it is as you said seafordpete. I  Hope Meresborough books do not mind me putting it on here..it is from Old Maidstone Volume One and I can thoroughly endorse the book and Vol2 is just as good...I do love Meresborough books titles, so many good books I have from them. i wonder if those chaps by the vans were dunking biccies in their Lemonade :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 09:10:54 »
Well done snodlandmalc, I was going to have a look for those Lyle bottles this morning but you have saved me, what could have been, a back breaking job  :). My Codd bottles were as your first and second to last examples if I remember correctly..I also have a amber and a black glass beer type bottle from maidstone and Tunbridge Wells. A very nice selection from the company and in super condition..thanks for putting up the picture.SB.

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 03:48:06 »

a selection of lyles bottles I have dug over the years (apart from the swing stopper found under the floorboards of a house in gillingham)

seafordpete

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 13:34:06 »
It wasn't that clear in my earlier posting, I'm sure the giant one is in Maidstone museum

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 12:50:35 »
I have just found the other image of the giant Ginger beer outside Lyles works at Maidstone on the corner of Queen Anne Road and King Street. it is in the book Old Maidstone Volume 1..I cannot scan it as my scanners gone on the blink again!!! and even then maybe I should not re copyright on Meresborough books. Can someone else help darrenlink please. SB. In Seafordpetes Google street view image...The large ginger beer bottle was on the wall just before where the green traffic light is and between the first two windows above the brown door..there are two bracket/rods sticking out. The bottle looks identical to the one in the Tunbridge wells picture and of the same huge size. I wish I had one in my collection of bottles etc from Sheerness! :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:16 »
Found this picture of giant ginger beer outside Lyle works which was on fire...I think at Tunbridge Wells. I think/sure this image is in a book on Bottles from this area called Yesterdays bottles. I have a copy but cannot put my hands on it at present!

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 11:23:46 »
Hi darrenlink, I will have a look and see if I have a 70's book with the Lyle story but please do not hold your breath. A family history site or maybe someone on here with access to census returns may be able to help re family details, sons etc. The bottles that have a marble inside are not beer bottles but Mineral water bottles, Lyles produced these and I think/I am sure I may have one somwhere, which still has the marble inside. I have seen a picture of the large Stonware bottle outside a building..it could be in one of my old books or mags..I will have a look for you. If you go back over this thread you will see a clear glass Jones bottle which still has the marble in the neck cavity..the Lyles bottles look just like this but have the shield trademark to the front, These are known as Codd bottles after hiram Codd the inventor of the Globe stopper closure, Some bottles say Codds patent on the back of the bottle. All the best, SB.

PS... I have a copy of Marks book if you need any details from it..PM me.

seafordpete

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:41 »
Above the door with the crest are 2 brackets sticking out, I reckon these held the bottle.

AnDy

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 00:14:07 »
Are there any remaining beer bottle's with the marble still in the bottle in existence??

darrenlink

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 21:55:06 »
Thank you snodlandmalc and seafordpete for your information about the Lyle mineral water manufacturing businesses.  It was very interesting to see the Lyle factory in King Street Maidstone on street view.  There appears to be a crest of arms on the building which very much resembles the pattern on my two D.T.J. Lyle & Sons bottles.

I am going to contact the Invicta Kent Bottle collectors club to see if I can find any info about the "old bottle collecting magazine of the 1970's".  I'll also see if I can track down a copy of "Kent Bottles: Illustrated History of Mineral Water Companies 1870-1940" by Mark Reed.  If anyone has a copy or can point me in the right direction please let me know.

Thank you so much for your responses.

Darren

seafordpete

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 09:37:57 »
Lyles was the white building with funerals on it. The bottle hung on the corner. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=king+st+maidstone&ll=51.27334,0.528636&spn=0.000001,0.000593&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=king+st&hnear=0x47ded602f8347067:0xa6f562520cb400cd,Maidstone&cid=0,0,5724682458569019664&t=h&z=21&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.273334,0.528636&panoid=uksSn1608K6JPeSt-7fM5g&cbp=12,296.67,,0,0

I can't remember a worse lemonade than Lyles (sorry darrenlink)  horrible yellow/orange colour and very low carbonation . I think the bottle may be in Maidstone Museum.

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 04:36:31 »
Hi Darren,this wont be of much help but I remember there was a 2 page article about the Lyle mineral water dynasty in the old bottle collecting magazine of the 1970's.Unfortunately my copy has been lost during house moves but there must be one out there somewhere ! It might be worth contacting the Invicta Kent Bottle collectors club as I would think someone there would have info if not the article.I remember there was a picture of the Maidstone works at 91 King st which featured a sign outside in the shape of a giant champagne ginger beer bottle.
Mark Reed mentions in his book that Elizabeth Lyle moved to Kent from Liverpool and brought with her 6 more sons,but doesnt mention names(Daniel already being here)but does say they were spread across kent,surrey and sussex. regards malc

darrenlink

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 23:30:45 »
sheppey_bottles and ellabumbles,

I am very much interested in the Lyle mineral water manufacturing businesses due to a very close family connection.

Arthur John Monkley Lyle (b. 1854 Cardiff, Wales, d. 1836 Fulham, London, England) was my great-great grandfather. He had a mineral water manufacturing business in Ashford, Kent, England:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/27650/pages/1272/page.pdf
Ashford, Kent, England is my home town.

I have recently purchased a couple of D.T.J. Lyle mineral water bottles from ebay which I believe were from the business of
Daniel Thomas James Lyle (b. 1852 Cardiff, Wales, d. 1924 Maidstone, Kent, England). It looks as though his business was at 91 King Street, Maidstone, Kent, England according to the 1911 census.

As I have these bottles (and the close family connection) I would very much like to confirm the connection between Arthur John Monkley Lyle and Daniel Thomas James Lyle.  I belive they may have been brothers but have conflicting information from Ancestry.com

sheppey_bottles:
I note the following post from you:
    My bottle is embossed E Lyle which ia shade earlier than your
    A C one. E for Elizabeth and A C for Alexander Charles
    her son, one of six.

Do you have the details of all of E Lyle's sons?  I have some information saying Eliza Lyle (d. 1907) and other infomation saying Elizabeth Lyle (nee Monkley).  Are they the same person?  I have different listings for the children of Eliza and Elizabeth but both have a death year of 1907.  Arthur John Monkley Lyle and Daniel Thomas James Lyle were both born in Cardiff within two years of each other so I'm hoping you are able to confirm they were brothers.  The various extracts of info I have were supplied by a friend with an Ancestry account.  Unfortunately I cannot afford to subscribe.

I have also found details for "Samuel Francis Lyle Limited" (Another mineral water manufacturing business).  Was he another son?

I appreciate this may not be the best place to discuss the details, so perhaps we can take this offline?

Many thanks for your help.

Darren

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines