News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kent Beer Bottles  (Read 49718 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Kent Beer Bottles
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 15:32:27 »
Sorry, I thought you were digging an old dump Isley as your initial post said that this Jones bottle turned up on a bottle dig on the outskirts of Folkestone. If you ever come across anything that you are unsure about PM me and I will try to give you good advice. I am no expert Isley, Jack of all trades master of none so to speak,  but have a basic idea of whats what. My interest is local sheppey items mainly which extends to Kent beers also.  All the best..SB.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 14:17:28 »
All good advice sheppey_bottles - I must admit if I come across a site it'll be as a result of 'exploring' rather than seeking out a bottle tip but having said that, I'm interested in locally branded items - hence this particular enquiry. I certainly don't mind sharing details of a site with established members via PM.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:31 »
No probs islesy..just one more thing be carefull with how you dispose of any unwanted finds if digging an old dump as certain items as well as having historical value also can have a great monetary one as well. For example a Blue glass poison bottle in the shape of a coffin, submarine or binoculars can easily run into four figures as can a cottage shaped inkwell with tiled roof and bow windows in blue glass. :)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:21 »
Thanks again sheppey_bottles, will have to look that book out.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 11:30:30 »
Company established in 1839 by Mr M Jones who was a tobacconist in High Street Dover. In 1871 had become M Jones and Son, Daniel had joined the company trading as Wholesale Tobacconists and importers of Cigars and started mineral water production. Jones by now also had a store at 105-107 Dover St Folkestone trading as a Coal merchant. In 1878 Jones relocated the Mineral water production to Folkestone store and closed High St Dover. By 1887 Daniel was running the company and depots at Lewisham and New Cross were added. In 1887 mineral water production began again in Dover at 1-2 Elizabeth Street. In 1907 the company closed and it would be interesting to find out why. Probably the other big companies in the area Souters, Leneys, Folkestone L.V and Silver spring took the trade away etc but who knows.

Info gleaned from the excellent book...'Kent Bottles' by Mark Reed. Well worth hunting out if you have an interest in bottles and local companies, although not bang up to date it is the Kent bottle collectors bible still. They often appear on Ebay as now out of print.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 10:55:52 »
Glad to be of help Islesy. There are quite a few details in Marks book..I will copy them out a bit later for you. I am not saying that Jones was not a bottler of beers he may well have been, I cannot find him listed as a brewery. Some small shops/companies etc used to buy in kegs and put the beer into there own bottles or may have had a larger company such as Leneys put a beer into their own named bottle. I have the same codd bottle as you by the way. Look out for the Thomas Cook bottles which are nice..they have a pictorial of a foaming drinking glass as a trademark on their codds and stone ginger beer bottles.

PS..I would like a Jones beer bottle please if you find one :)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 10:03:59 »
Thanks for that sheppey_bottles, I knew you'd know!

I had realised this was a 'pop' bottle, I thought that maybe, like Leney's in Dover, Jones may have been a brewery who also happened to bottle Mineral Water etc. It surprised me that I couldn't find a reference, now I'll have to ask Kyn if she'll move this to a more relevant board!

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 12:59:20 »
Daniel Phineas walter Jones was at 105-107 Dover Street in Folkestone, they closed in 1907. As regards cleaning, try washing soda if this does not work something that includes an acid such as path and patio cleaner, spirit of salts or if you can get it Hydrochloric acid..mind your self though it catches your breath and can burn (fill bottle up and let it stand for a day pour it back out but keep for next bottle). These measures are ok if it is just internal residue muck etc. If it is those white misty patches that look like the bottle has been frosted then only  a proffesional special strong acid dip or tumble will do it. Hope that is of some help.SB. One other thing this is not a beer bottle but a fizzy mineral water bottle holding something like cola, lemonade cherryade etc, they were a mineral water company not a brewery.

Little tip..if you have a bottle that you want to display but it has that horrid white frosty finish all over that seems to go when wet!! and then return once dry...give the inside and out a thin coat of clear UV stable varnish.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 23:13:05 »
Haven't been able to find anything out about this brewing house, so I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a firm/individual named Jones of Folkestone.

Turned up on a bottle dig on the outskirts of Folkestone.

(By the way, just how the b****y hell do you get the bottles clean beyond soaking/vinegar/lemon juice?)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 08:47:19 »
 I have updated my list of old Kent beer bottles at the start of this thread to include two new items..Webb & Co of Margate and A. Bayly of Margate. I am still looking for any that are not on this list please. Thankyou S.B.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 18:50:19 »

WASTALL:  I have a note :
E.G. WASTALL & Company,  Dover, Ramsgate, Margate  (Dover Chronicle Jan 5 1884 p.5 col.1)
(I don't know if this is an advert or something else, probably an advert)

Ellenkate

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

David 1524

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 01:44:53 »
Dear Sirs,
I did intend this as a PM to "Sheppey_Bottles" but I gave up trying to work the PM bit as a newcomer (it doesn't say if the message was sent or not my end. Anyway, please don't feel excluded, the offer is open to anyone who can help because I'm running out of time now. Can anyone?;

I appreciate this is a little unusual but I hope you don't mind my cheek. My partner and I have just gone potty and bought a pub in Margate. We intend to refurbish and open in time with the new Turner Gallery and carry a few Real Ales. Anyway, I was perusing this forum when I was struck by one of your bottles (if you know what I mean). I couldn't help but notice the name on the bottle was the same as that of those selling me the pub at auction. "Wastall" the Ramsgate importer. Now a couple of elderly lady actors living in central London. This is where the grovelling begins.

Having just read an enormous pile of Deeds all about the family and my new boarded up derelict purchase, I would love one of those bottles. If that is impossible (I regret I know nothing of collecting them) I wonder if I could borrow it (I saw it pictured in one of your very informative posts) because we have the TV Homes Under The Hammer team coming in a few days to film and I thought it would be a nice touch to show it. I would of course leave you a healthy deposit and look after it and an invite to opening day is guaranteed. What do you think?

In any event many thanks for considering.
Kind Regards,
David Gorton (Sidcup Nr Dartford and, ISle of Sheppey)  

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 22:40:55 »
Baldwins has still got a shop in London :)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 21:53:49 »
A little more about Elveys from the London Gazette 2nd May 1939.

Notice is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned Richard Vincent Elvey and Victor Baldwin carrying on business as Mineral Water Manufacturers at Elizabeth Street Dover in the county of Kent under the style or firm of Elvey & Co. has been disolved by mutual consent as from the 29th day of April 1939. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be recieved and paid by the said Victor Baldwin who will contunue to carry on the said business under the above style or firm- Dated 29th April 1939.

Richard V. Elvey.
                             V. Baldwin.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 21:35:12 »
A few notes I have about Elvey, Barnard, Forster and Leney.  Don't think Elveys ever sold beer, just mineral waters. And probably Barnard and Foster the same.

ELVEY & CO.  bottles (in Dover Museum)
ELVEY & CO of Dover ? aerated waters, cordials etc.  advert on front page (Dover Standard Jan 7 1893)

Thomas Edward BARNARD  from Cowes came to Dover May 1901 and opened grocery shops in Biggin Street/ Woolcomber Street / St Margaret?s Bay and Deal.   Died suddenly May 1901 and eldest son took over (John Maurice BARNARD)  and also owned the Plaza Cinema in Biggin Street in 192
0s.  
Other brothers were Edward Blake BARNARD and Sidney BARNARD  (info ex D.Barnard)

"G.F. FORSTER"   of 52 Castle Street, Dover -  Lemonade Bottle in Dover Museum -  he was a chemist and mineral maker (business established 1834).

A. LENEY & Co.,  Dover ? ale advert  page 2 col.1  (Dover Chronicle Jan 5 1884)
A. LENEY & CO.,  Brewers, Dover etc.  front page advert (Dover Standard Jan 7 1893)
Alfred LENEY,  18 Victoria Park, Dover  (PO Directory 1878)
Alfred LENEY & CO.,  pale ale and porter brewers and maltsters, Phoenix Brewery, Dolphin Lane, Dover and at Folkestone  (PO Directory 1878)

Alfred LENEY:
"The Brewer, Alfred LENEY sought magistrates' permission to convert Crabble Cottage on the verge of the new athletic ground into a pub he intended to call The Cricketers Hotel.  The Band of Hope asked the magistrates to call on pub landlords not to serve children under 13 with beer for consumption off the premises.  It was normal for youngsters to call at pubs with a jug for beer for their fathers."      
(from our files, 100 years ago, from Dover Express of 28.8.1997 page 4)

LENEY "businessman and brewer, Dover, decided to have house built for himself at  Saltwood to be called garden house ? story re house fire and employee John COOK  
(Folkestone FHS Journal Vol.2 No.8 Summer 1982 page 98)

LENEY of Dover ? bottles and other items  (in Dover Museum)

-------------

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines