News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Angel, High Street/North Road, Strood [i]  (Read 10901 times)

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
Re: The Angel, High Street/North Road, Strood [i]
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:50 »
I have been given a load of photos of Pubs that are, it seems, from around the 1920s. 80 odd photos were found in a tin in an attic.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:01 »
What a great photo, but it shows a very different looking 'Angel'. In the previous old photo on this topic is the pub circ. 1890's with the tollgate. It has what looks to be a flat roof.  Whilst the upper windows seem the same, this photo clearly shows it with a  roof.  It must also be later as no toll but a bobby on duty.  May I ask the source of this photo (looks like it could be a postcard). Very intrigued.

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 10:01:46 »
Here is another picture of the Angel.

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 18:27:43 »
Indeed it did - I first used it as Pitchers, but it then reverted back to the Angel a few years back... sad really, I did quite like that pub and it always seemed to have a good lunchtime trade which was the only time i was ever in Strood.
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 23:14:39 »
Hi Leofwine, I have found the book that I took the caption from and it is dated 1974.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 18:16:35 »
Not sure I can see they are the same people. Are you sure?  The picture (Peterchalls link) is also in 'Strood - A Pictorial History' and the caption says it is the closing of Tollgate at the Angel Inn 1st December 1896.  HOWEVER in the write up in the book it says '....both gates were finally abolished on 30th November 1876.  As this photo shows quite clearly Sladdens which was demolished in 1896 - could this be how the dates got mixed?  I think we are all agreed the Tollgate at Strood did close in 1876.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 17:50:03 »
I thought it looked a similar (or same) group of people too, so I would tend to think that the dating of patmore's picture may be inaccurate, and that the photo was taken in 1876 to commemorate the closing/demolition of the Toll gate. Any costume historians who could suggest dates based on the clothing?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 17:35:40 »
Looking at both the pics ( the link in peterchalls last post ) they are taken the same day but from different angles, as the people are the same in each one . So surely (?) the date of demolition of the Tollgate is wrong in the books if this latest pic is c 1896  or the pics were taken in 1876. Please excuse if I'm talking out the back of my head.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 16:44:50 »
Great pic, first good image I have seen of the old Angel inn.

I wonder how approx the date of that picture is patmore?  In the Strood Tollgate thread another picture was posted that had a  couple of captions in 2 different books:
The Turnpike gate at the corner of North Street, Strood c 1870. The gate stretched from the South-West corner of the 'Angel' Inn, rebulit in 1899 and still in business, to the Workmen's Institute opposite. It was demolished on 30 November 1876 when the bridge wardens paid the remainder of the debt. The Clothiers shop was demolished in 1896.  Hope that is of some help.
Here's the caption that went with the photo.
(transcription of image text to save quoting pictures) The Strood Turnpike, or toll gate, stood at the junction of the High Street and Cage Lane (now North street). It was removed on 1 December 1876, the day on which this photograph was taken. The Toll payable for a coach drawn by six horses in 1792 was one shilling, making it a very expensive way of travelling indeed. On the extreme right of the picture is the Angel public house. There has been an Angel inn hereabouts for at least 400 years and this road junction, although entirely changed, today retains the name Angel Corner. The latest version of the Angel stands nearby.
(any ideas on the date of publication of those books numanfan and sheppey_bottles?)

That picture still shows the clothiers (on left of pic) next to the Angel (suggesting 1896 as a latest date), but also seems to show the tollgate that was supposed to have been demolished in 1876.

It is also intriguing to see the style of the building, which suggest that (assuming the pub had actually stood there for over 400 years) the building that was demolished and rebuilt in 1899 was not the first Angel Inn on the site.
=========

patmore

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 15:52:58 »
Approx. 1896

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 14:00:24 »
It is odd to see such a modern looking building, but realise that the Angel Inn had been on the site for over 400 years.
=========

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:34:28 »
Came across this tin Strood memorabilia of The Angel Pub.  Does anyone know more about them, how many in a set, was it just Whitbread pubs etc?
See: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4583.msg37182#msg37182

But was there a previous Angel? That looks the standard Whitbread pattern pub from the 1960/70s.
The previous Angel stood right out on the corner of High Street and North Street, with only a 'normal' width path (I think).

See also: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3021.0
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:28:29 »
But was there a previous Angel? That looks the standard Whitbread pattern pub from the 1960/70s. if the card is tinplate then it almost certainly predates that building. I can remember installing the metered beer dispense there about 1976 and the place was fairly new certainly no more than about 5 years, 10 maximum. Always a rough pub and attempts to thene it didn't make any improvement. It was the first Whitbread pub to have a video screen wall

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 21:10:35 »
Coming out of carpark in North Street and there it was, The Angel has become an estate agents.  Didnt have a camera with me to take a photo. The whole front window section has been  taken up but the Angel sign showing in Leofwine's photo is still hanging above.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 23:48:46 »
The Angel on the corner of High Street & North Road. It has apparently had many names and many managers over the years despite being a fairly modern pub. Like many pubs in Medway it has now closed.

Photo from 2010
=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines