News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Ringlestone Arms [i]  (Read 19111 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: The Ringlestone Arms [i]
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:18 »
I went there one Sunday evening shortly after their antics made the daily papers. Cars were lined up on the opposite side of the road, all waiting to catch a glimpse of the two `old dears`.

seafordpete

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 23:37:37 »
It was a free house and I think in their family for a while, think there was  a case once but they got away on some loophole over the right to refuse service and then feeling threatened and firing into the air.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 23:30:54 »
So who were the brewers that let them get away with that behaviour, or was it a Free House? And where were the police, for that matter?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 23:12:08 »
I never managed to get in! If you did manage it, the old ladies apparently served you with the drinks that they thought you should have, not what you ordered!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 21:28:19 »
I have vague memories of stories that the Ringlestone Arms was run by two eccentric ladies who were very fussy about who they allowed in as customers, even to the extent of keeping a shot-gun behind the bar. Sounds implausible, I know, but the memory is nagging me!
I think I must have posted this as a reply in another thread that I can't find now, because I was quoting something I'd only heard about. So where actually is the Ringlestone arms, please?

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 19:39:40 »
I served them a couple of times when I worked in Chiesmans,

That is going back a few years, always thought it was a strange store with the floors seemingly not to be on regular levels.  Unfortunately, the place is rather a mess at the moment with the ground floor looking like a building site.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

erfman

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 19:30:28 »
who did you make the cheque out to... seafordpete??  :) :) erfman

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 19:15:21 »
I served them a couple of times when I worked in Chiesmans, one carried the cheque book but the other one signed it very shakily, I had to write in the amounts etc as they were too shakey to write it themselves

erfman

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 18:05:39 »
i heard that rumour too! the closest i ever came to the ringlestone was driving past it in my truck. In the late sixties we were picking up lawn turf from a field nearby, it was warm weather at the time, strange, i never felt thirsty when passing the pub!!  :) erfman

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:34 »
Yes Peter and Lyn you're both right. The pair of old bats that ran the Ringlestone were quick on the draw with that shotgun as I found out one night when I accidentally walked the wrong way and found myself behind the bar!!!
Out the gun came and out the pub I went but they'd forgotten all about it a few days later and served me OK. Used to be a very popular pub in the 60s.
Alan.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:01 »
Your memory is right on the ball peterchall, yes there were two very eccentric ladies  ( with guns !) that ran the Ringlestone, it was very small  , a converted cottage , we managed to get in a couple of times in the mid 60s, haven't been past there for years now, but I believe it's now a rather nice home again, and not a pub, I could well be wrong. Just re-reading JSTs post I have got that wrong, and it's still trading.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
The Ringlestone Arms [i]
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:38:13 »
I have vague memories of stories that the Ringlestone Arms was run by two eccentric ladies who were very fussy about who they allowed in as customers, even to the extent of keeping a shot-gun behind the bar. Sounds implausible, I know, but the memory is nagging me!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines