News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Globe & Laurel, Britton Street, Gillingham [i]  (Read 5118 times)

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
Re: The Globe & Laurel, Britton Street, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:01 »
Lovely picture in it's heyday.

Offline Rambo

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 12:18:32 »
First landlady I found 1869 - 1870  Sarah Flynn. 1973 the Licence not renewed. I remember many years ago this house had a table tennis team, only played there once a bit small. Nice pint tho'.
rambo.

drunkenbaker

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 16:30:19 »
From 1910 street directory
No 11 Plough Inn G Fletcher
No 87 Beer shop JW Upton
No 105 Beer Shop JD Pearson
No 153 Neptune Arms

Hi seafordpete could you please check that 1910 street directory again for Britton Street. I make no 153 the Napier Arms (see KHF link: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9754.0). Could it be a typo or perhaps a short term name change?

Offline misseda paeg

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 22:15:55 »
I used to frequent the Globe & Laurel in the early 70s until its' closure in 1977 or '78. As you can see from the photos it was tiny, perhaps the smallest pub in Gillingham. On entering there was a small table or two with a few seats & a bench to the right (backed to the front window) facing the tiny bar which was situated in the front room and divided the two downstairs bars. The back bar consisted of three or four small tables. On the walls hung old photos of the owners - unfortunately I've forgotten his name, she was known as Queenie. She had been a vaudeville entertainer & he used to be a boxer or prize fighter. They served 2 different beers from barrels (& "Cherry B" for the ladies) but weren't licensed for spirits.     

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:26:04 »
The Globe & Laurel takes its name from the Royal Marines Crest, not surprising considering the nearby Royal Marines Barracks and Chatham Dockyard. It had been in existence since at least 1860 and closed in about 1975.

The Globe & Laurel is a perfect example of the many thousands of beerhouses that once dotted the country.  Under the 1830 Beer Act, any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in his home (usually the front parlour) and even brew his own on his premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits and fortified wines and any beer house discovered selling those items was closed down and the owner heavily fined. Beer houses were not permitted to open on Sundays. The beer was usually served in jugs or dispensed directly from tapped wooden barrels lying on a table in the corner of the room. Often profits were so high the owners were able to buy the house next door to live in, turning every room in their former home into bars and lounges for customers.

Within eight years of the Act there were about 46,000 Beerhouses opened across the country, far outnumbering the combined total of long-established taverns, public houses, inns and hotels. Because it was so easy to obtain permission and the profits could be huge compared to the low cost of gaining permission, the number of beer houses was continuing to rise and in some towns nearly every other house in a street could be a beer house. Finally in 1869 the growth had to be checked by magisterial control and new licensing laws were introduced. Only then was the ease by which permission could be obtained reduced and the licensing laws which operate today formulated.

Although the new licensing laws prevented any new beer houses from being created, those already in existence were allowed to continue and many did not fully die out until nearly the end of the 19th century. A very small number remained into the 21st century. The vast majority of the old beer houses applied for the new licences and became full public houses, or closed down as time went by. These usually small establishments can still be identified in many towns, seemingly oddly located in the middle of otherwise terraced housing part way up a street, unlike purpose-built pubs that are usually found on corners or road junctions. Many of today's real ale micro-brewers in the UK started as home based Beer House brewers under the 1830 Act.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 21:14:11 »
1974      105,Britton st,  Globe & Laurel,  PH

I spoke to the owener of the chip shop near by, he has been there since 1980, and said it was a pub then and closed about a year after the Dockyard shut.   

Online redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 20:19:26 »
1974      105,Britton st,  Globe & Laurel,  PH
redge

Offline prefabkid

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 17:27:51 »
From 1961 Kelly's.
105 Britton Street. Potter H W. beer retailer.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 13:22:14 »
From 1910 street directory
No 11 Plough Inn G Fletcher
No 87 Beer shop JW Upton
No 105 Beer Shop JD Pearson
No 153 Neptune Arms

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:29 »
RiGdens of Faversham, more likely to be an off licence

I doese look more like a shop than a pub, I was told it was a pub and in the alley way at the back you can see what looks like where a hall was.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:33:01 »
RiGdens of Faversham, more likely to be an off licence

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
The Globe & Laurel, Britton Street, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 22:11:05 »
Saw this one today in Britton St, Gillinham, i've posted my other photo on here without the writing.

The writing says,  Ricden's Pale Ales,  crates and cases delivered.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines