News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paine & Co., Chatham High Street  (Read 15580 times)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
Re: Paine & Co., Chatham High Street
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:43:28 »
Paine's, 168 High St.

I scanned this from this Weeks Sheerness Times Gardian, it has a 1970 addition this week, hence the Paine's advert.  Any remember or know anything about the shop?

Paines had 3 shops.  The one in Chatham, one in Strood and one in Grays.  They were all mens outfitters and also sold toys such as Triang bikes etc.  They were also pawnbrokers.  My father started in the Strood shop as an apprentice pawnbroker in 1926 aged 14. He went on to work at both the Strood shop and then the Grays shop until it too was sold for redevelopment.  Some 50 odd years (redundancy pay like today was not in then).  I have a photo in 'Are you being served madam' which shows Paines in Chatham in 1946.  It was the first shop in the town to have fluorescent lighting.  It closed in the 1970's. Am not sure about copyright on photos otherwise I would have scanned and posted (any advice please). The photo shows long counters on both sides (with a number of chairs for customers to sit on). Assistants standing waiting to serve, male and female. 

At the Grays shop when customers bought items the payments would be sent through to an office via a cash railway.  A wooden container would have money and the bill placed in it and it would then be screwed into a metal holder and propelled by a catapult to the cash desk. It was operated by a handle on a rope which would be suspended from the ceiling. The assistance would pull this down and it would wind the machine up.  Upon release it sped off along a wire near to the ceiling to the cash office and then any change etc. would be sorted by the cashier and returned to the department in the same way. There was a network of rail tracks along the ceilings in all the departments for this purpose.  I think it was likely that this was a Rapid Wire.  I am sure that something similar if not the same was used in the Chatham shop.

Ann

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:10 »
Paine's, 168 High St.

I scanned this from this Weeks Sheerness Times Gardian, it has a 1970 addition this week, hence the Paine's advert.  Any remember or know anything about the shop?

If my memory is not too foggy, I remember Paines had clothing on the left hand side of the shop and the right hand side at the rear had toys / models.

Can anyone else confirm this or is it just me getting confused???

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 22:15:44 »
Paine's, 168 High St.

I scanned this from this week`s Sheerness Times Guardian, it has a 1970 addition this week, hence the Paine's advert.  Any remember or know anything about the shop?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 21:27:02 »
does anyone remember the shop, somewhere in the region of the Central Hall, that sold school uniforms and scouts and guides uniforms and equipment? I can't remember the name.
Looked in Kelly's Directory 1967. Paine & Co. Ltd was next door to the Central Hall.

Picture dated 1929 to 1934, looking east, showing the Central Hall (No 170) and Paine's just this side of it, on the south side of the High Street.

Now turn the Time Machine back to before 1908 and looking west. Paine's shop sign is just visible, but was then on the north side of the High Street, at No 175. What is there now?

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Paine & Co., Chatham High Street
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 22:19:07 »
does anyone remember the shop, somewhere in the region of the Central Hall, that sold school uniforms and scouts and guides uniforms and equipment? I can't remember the name.

Looked in Kelly's Directory 1967. Paine & Co. Ltd was next door to the Central Hall.

Also found out something about Green Shield Trading Stamps Ltd. , but I'm up at 4 tomorrow morning so it'll have to wait :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines