News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show.  (Read 2573 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 17:07:33 »
Heres a bit from Wikipedia about the WildWest Shows.

Buffalo's Bill's Wild West Show continued to captivate audiences and tour annually for a total of 30 years (1883-1913). After opening on May 19, 1883 in Omaha, Nebraska, the show was on what seemed to be a perpetual tour all over the east of America. The show 'hopped the pond' in 1887 when Queen Victoria requested the presence of Buffalo Bill's Wild West show at her Golden Jubilee in 1887 at Windsor Castle, in England. The whole troop including 200 passengers plus 97 Natives, 18 buffalo, 181 horses, 10 elk, 4 donkeys, 5 longhorns (Texas steers), 2 deer, 10 mules, and the deadwood concord stagecoach crossed the Atlantic on several ships. They then toured England for the next six months and the following year returned to tour Europe until 1892. With his tour in Europe, Buffalo Bill established the myth of the American West overseas as well. To some Europeans, the Wild West show not only represented the west, but all of America. He also created the cowboy as an American icon. He gave the people of England, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany a taste of the wild and romantic west.

Merv

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 15:52:36 »
I recall a program about one of his performers, a Native American who settled, married and died here.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 15:27:40 »
My Grandmother went to one of his shows, I think it was after they moved to Bluetown from London in 1902. P

merc

Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:52:06 »
Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show, alegedly put on one of their shows in the area which later became Gillingham Park. Buffalo Bill fired live bullets through the top of the tent.

It was probably some time between 1887-1906.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines