News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Featherstones, Chatham High Street  (Read 5332 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: Featherstones, Chatham High Street
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 16:02:40 »
My Mum had a "club" running with Featherstone's (posh people would, no doubt, call it "an account").  Mum paid in a set sum every week, then twice a year my brother and I were "rigged out", and I believe Christmas presents came from Featherstone's as well.    A bit later Featherstone's opened a boutique called Copper Penny and the clothes were pretty decent - but Mum believed in "buying for growth", so what would have been a nice mini skirt in olive green corduroy became, in the next size or so up, a great big skirt walloping round my calves!  Bitter row, that one was!

Jill

Jill i remember the Featherstone's Club very well and a man calling round to collect the money and yes we were rigged out once a year from there. Always remember they only had one pay till and you paid at the counter the money was put into a container that was then sent alone the ceiling on wires to the cash point and the change returned. As a child i used to love watching the little containers flying around the shop the Co-Operative had the same sort of system but was air based in tubes.
Also remember back when the front door key was kept on a piece of string inside the letter box and if we were out mum would leave the club book and money inside and when the Featherstone's man got no answer he would pull the key out open the door take the money and mark the book. We also had a Co-op card and we spit between the two depending of which one we owed the less too.

Peter
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:16 »
Featherstones had an excellent upholstery department. I took many manager's chairs there to be rebuilt!
mmitch.

Toooldtodance

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 20:53:14 »
I remember being dragged  shopping in Featherstones with my mum when I was very young. We caught the 146 bus to Star hill. I passed it today and funny enough took a picture.

grantidge

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 18:19:34 »
My Mum had a "club" running with Featherstone's (posh people would, no doubt, call it "an account").  Mum paid in a set sum every week, then twice a year my brother and I were "rigged out", and I believe Christmas presents came from Featherstone's as well.    A bit later Featherstone's opened a boutique called Copper Penny and the clothes were pretty decent - but Mum believed in "buying for growth", so what would have been a nice mini skirt in olive green corduroy became, in the next size or so up, a great big skirt walloping round my calves!  Bitter row, that one was!

Jill

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 19:39:00 »
In the sixties I worked for Grays of Chatham motorcycles, a man had bought a motor bike and sidecar, it was my job to show the customers how things work etc  I asked  have you ridden a sidecar  outfit before? he replied  iv'e ridden more bikes than you've  had hot dinners! ......as he sat on the bike still with both of his feet on ground ,I tried to explain that you dont need to have your feet on the ground unless it was a solo bike, he got very annoyed with me i think more embarrassed he then revved the engine and roared off I stood and watched him go of in the distance , after a few seconds i heard  a great CRASHING noise............he had got out of control  and had crashed  right into" Featherstones" curved glass shop window............. and as I recall the impact had  pulled the" famous" overhead  cash cable device from it's fixings     ah' well life goes on..........................

colin F

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 23:39:55 »
Hi  Smiffy,   i  baged   coal    for   Featherstones   year,s   ago.

colin F.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Featherstones, Chatham High Street
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 17:23:30 »

Photo taken in 1972. Always went there for school uniforms.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines