News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Summers, Chatham High Street  (Read 5948 times)

KeithJG

Re: Summers, Chatham High Street
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 19:23:54 »
I never bought any of my geometric stuff from Summers.

Luckily by the time i started at Fort Horsted College of Technology from 1963 to 1968 i used to go along to the shop with the hatch and counter  just inside on the left of the double blue doors of the main central building nearest the offices side.

They had a varied amount of things needed for classwork.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 14:21:39 »
AlanH. I've still got my LogLog slide rule as well! Afraid no market for drg. instruments- unless VERY old. My son tells me that in his design office there are 6 doing the work- on computers- that 20 would have done in the past. Never heard of "tracers" either.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 13:31:45 »
The geometrical drawing sets used for school work were usually made by Helix. I believe they're still in business.
Rotring and Staedtler were the main German companies and I've still got some of mine, too :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:01 »
I'm sure Summers was where I bought a technical drawing set (Made in Germany) for use at Medway Tech at Fort Horsted. Didn't get a lot of use as they refused to continue my further education for some reason....  :)
I've still got it 56 years later and wonder if there's a market for that sort of thing.
AlanH.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 00:22:22 »
Letratone, found this great little website, well worth a trawl through.

http://www.forgottenartsupplies.com/?what=news&start_date=1320120000&end_date=1322715600

I remember French curves from school,.they were plastic and came in the same set as the protractor and triangle sets.(what were they called?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_curve

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 23:03:18 »
Just a small correction to the title of this thread - Summers didn't quite make it into Chatham, it was actually in Rochester. But not by much.

sandynan46

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 19:46:51 »
I worked at Summers from leaving school until I left to have my son in 1968.  Mr Geoffrey Stibbs and Mr. Gerald Stibbs were the owners, and I remember them with fondness and much respect.  Mr. Geoffrey was a stickler for competence and watched over every aspect of each empoyees work.  All employees had to learn each department, the boys had to learn to type also, so that no department would ever be short staffed. We could fill in anywhere.  A huge well run 'family'.  I t was a pleasure to work there.  I worked mostly in the stationery office, manager, Mr. King.  Then there was drawing Office, recently managed by one of the original #packing room boys' Alan Daniels,  Machine Department and Machine repairs, Mr. Knapp, and Mr. Hartley was the manager of the furniture department. My friend Mavis Bartlett (now Holloway) was the manageress of the Northgate Branch.  I can think of loads of other people from the 60's at Summers,  Alan Hill, Roger Pearce, Molly Farrow, Dorothy Harpum, Jenny Kane, Mr. Whale, to name but a few.  Would be great if anyone mentioned sees this and messages me.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:50:11 »
I remember going to Summers in the 70s and 80s for stationary supplies for my employers. I think they had a place on the Medway City Estate at one time?
mmitch.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 17:35:14 »
Didn't George go into business with his sister Anne?

Now sell paper dolls and paper underwear :)

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 19:37:06 »
Didn't George go into business with his sister Anne?

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 21:36:13 »
Speaking of Summers, whatever happened to the company? I remember they were quite well established, supplying to the public and business. They had quite a considerably sized shop in Chatham High Street towards the Rochester end, opposite roughly where Featherstones was. I went in there in 1984 I remember, and I recall they had a large premises on the newly built Medway City Estate in the mid eighties. I assume they transferred their premises there from the High Street and it would seem they even had a close named after the business (George Summers Close). Intriguing how such a large company local company could vanish.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:41 »
I joined Chatham Corporation Treasurers's Dept in 1971 and had to go to Summers on a regular basis for various items-usually heavy ones! I think they had a smaller shop in Rochester High Street as well .

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:39 »
Summers supplied me with most of my Draughtsman's equipment during O & A-Levels and at college. I always ended up coming out of there with more stuff than I'd intended buying!  Was a real goldmine for that kind of thing. :)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 23:56:19 »

I remember going to Summers to buy things like Rapidograph pens, Letraset, rulers, etc. You actually used to get a student discount. Still didn't stop some people nicking stuff of course.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Summers, Chatham High Street
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 22:47:47 »
Summers, suppliers of office equipment and stationery. When I started evening classes in 1946 I needed a slide rule, and bought it there. The snag was the only ones available were made by A.W. Faber and had to be specially ordered and imported from Germany, the country we had just beaten in the war! With lots of new students starting courses each September, I imagine Summers and similar shops did quite well. I can't remember the cost, except that it was a lot of money for those days

Slide rules, logarithm tables, and trigonometry tables were the only  maths aids we had then. Does anyone remember them? I've still got my slide rule; I wonder how much it's worth.

In the late 1960s or thereabouts, at Medway College, I first saw an 'adding machine', which we borrowed from the office each year to do the end of year records and reports. You turned some wheels to enter each number, then pulled a handle to get the total - real high tech stuff :).

About 1975 my then future son-in-law bought a Sinclair electronic calculator. All it could do was add, subtract, multiply, and divide, and it cost him 30, about 220 at today's prices! How much is a full-function scientific calculator today?  
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines