News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Clock Tower  (Read 14009 times)

John38

Re: Sheerness Clock Tower
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 16:19:04 »
Thank you, conan. These wonderful photographs are from before my time, but accurately reflect how I remember the Sheerness I grew up in.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 14:44:52 »
Some more oldies from my Dads archive

Firstly a clearer picture of the first of colin haggarts scans although it fails to show the tram wires

secondly a the clock tower in the distance

and lastly a close up,love those lamps

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

John38

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 17:49:41 »
When looking at the photograph of the Clock, below, it really shatters my memory (illusion?) of it. It used to seem twice as big, and was always brown.

We met our dates (girls) at the clock and then took them into the Britannia for a drink, before going dancing! 

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 16:47:01 »
Sebs, The first house that we had, circa 1950, was No. 82 Alma Street and one day I repaired the hall woodwork flooring  and underneath the whole of the house was a 2 to 3 foot  high space to enable me to crawl from the front to the back. I was told the house was built just above the flood level (as every 25 years was a slght flooding and every 50 years was a bad flooding). Alma Road also has a large gap underneath each house.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

johnabutler

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 18:43:00 »
I think that you will find that the ceremony depicted is the laying of the foundation stone for the Clock Tower.

Lofty

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 16:03:11 »
Gas Installation for Clock Tower.
Placing iron cover pror to laying Tram Track.
Edward Street Sheerness 1902.
The streets were already lighted by gas.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 16:56:11 »
SentinelS4  Agree . In the Sheerness Times article it also had a photo of the "hole "

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 15:26:19 »
I know very little about the Sheerness trams other than they had overhead pickup, with bow collectors and not trolley poles, and not conduit like a lot of the London Trams. I also believe that the clock tower was the junction for the system. It was also not only one of the first electric tramways in mainland (ish) England but also the first one to close. Interesting as to how a system that lasted for just about twenty years left so much behind in the form of legends.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 15:14:13 »
A few years ago , the Sheerness Times had an article on this topic and the tunnels were stated to have been tram lines ( now under ground ) and the main area at the Town Clock was the switching point for the trams lines.

sebs

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 20:33:11 »
when I was younger we lived in one of the houses in Alma Rd Sheerness. And in the cupboard under the stairs there was a small in the floor, when lifted there was a dark whole. My older brother was the only one brave enought to enter it. He crawled along for about 22 ft in a straight line going towards the front of the house, and then quickly returned as I think he was getting a bit Scared as it was very dark and dusty. We never found out what it was used for.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:57:21 »
Plaque on the clocktower at Sheerness, I should imagine most of these people are in the photo..

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:28:41 »
The laying of the foundation stone.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:25:15 »
I reckon it could be a ceremony to do with the new clocktower in 1902. At the top of each pole is a crown so is the coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:05:27 »
An oddball photo from Sheerness any ideas

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:43:11 »
My husband worked on the Council when he left school (many years ago) and went inside the clock in order to effect some repairs.  He has never heard of tunnels underneath it and neither has anyone else that we can find.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines