News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Clarence  (Read 77076 times)

nutmagnet

Re: Fort Clarence
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2012, 04:37:43 »
Hi

One of these flats have came up on Rightmove not so long ago although there are no current images from any sales that I can find on-line at the moment.

Might be worth adding the postcode search to either rightmove or zoopla and wait for a notification for any sales.

ME1 3GX

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/

I'm pretty sure I downloaded a sales brochure for the last flat but can't find it at the moment.. Might be on a backup drive.  :)

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2012, 08:07:31 »
The attached is a plan of Gun Tower Mews showing the development in relation to some of the tunnels [shown in black].

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:47 »
I remember that building from long ago as I went past it on the way to St Margarets school as an infant in the late 40s early 50s.  A friend of mine lived at the houses up behind it but it was so long ago I can't remember his name but he was either Indian or Anglo Indian and his Dad was in the army.
Thinking back the houses were next to stables and from memory were very small.
AlanH.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2012, 12:27:25 »
Pic 1 is of the Main Magazine showing its parabolic entrance and lighting recess.
Pic 2 is od the parabolic tunnel leading from the main tower to the Sally-Port(West Casemates).
Pic 3 is of the upper floor of the Sally-Port (West Casemates).
Pic 4 is of the Expense MAgazine in the ground floor of the Sally-Port.

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2012, 18:03:18 »
Sorry if this duplicates some of the pictures on here already, but just a couple of shots taken today - getting quite overgrown down there again.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:23 »
Maidstone Road Guard Tower

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:16 »
I know this was mentioned way back in this thread, but there are now some new members who might be able to contribute. In 1952 I lived at No 5 Fort Clarence. It was actually an army MQ occupied by a Sergeant who worked in civvy clothes at the War Office in London and was a customer of my dad's pub - the Forester's Arms. The Sergeant moved out for some reason and sub-let it to my newly wed wife and me, probably not quite 'according to regulations', although we did pay the rent into his bank account. Also, we had an address in (I think) Kitchener Barracks to contact in emergency, which we did have to on one occasion when there was a wiring fault.

It was a bungalow about halfway through the fort, on the right going from Maidstone Road, and in the back of the kitchen was a door that led into a corridor with about 4 or 5 cells each side - creepy! I was in the RAF at the time so was only home at weekends and then was working when I came out , my wife was working and out all day, and we were only there for a few months, so can't remember much of the detail of what was happening. However we do remember that someone ran some sort of workshop, and there was a couple of other MQ's there.

I would be grateful if anyone could identify the site on any of the plans in this thread. 
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2012, 08:54:04 »
I think some of the original wall is still there on the road side? it caught my eye yesterday as a lot of the morter has fallen out...

After saying this and then relising the photo of st margarates tower was the original post and not the latest
heres a photo to help understand what i meant and that im not just posting random rubbish.. :s

Not that anyone is interested!

jamie.

I think there would have been a lot more objections if it was proposed to demolish it these days. The sixties has a lot to answer for (Admirals House at Gillingham was demolished to make way for something that was never built).

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:44 »
Well spotted!  I didn't realise anything was left!

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2012, 21:47:06 »
Hello Jamie,

Yes, I too think that they are original walls and I am interested!

jamie_st200

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2012, 20:50:01 »
I think some of the original wall is still there on the road side? it caught my eye yesterday as a lot of the morter has fallen out...

After saying this and then relising the photo of st margarates tower was the original post and not the latest
heres a photo to help understand what i meant and that im not just posting random rubbish.. :s

Not that anyone is interested!

jamie.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2012, 11:58:53 »
First picture shows the upper level emplacements, and the second picture shows the Board of Ordnance branding in the wooden floor boards.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2012, 15:36:45 »
They were all converted, but I do think they were done to retain the atmosphere, with the brick walls just being painted etc...  There was a newspaper cutting on the forum which showed internal shots.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2012, 12:27:44 »
kyn are there any of these rooms still like your photos or have all been converted to flats?

jamie_st200

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2012, 20:59:27 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines