News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Faversham Old Brewrey  (Read 3766 times)

seafordpete

Re: Faversham Old Brewrey
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 10:18:00 »
Another bit of info, I went to Gales brewery at Horndean about 10yrs ago, they had a number of the smaller coopered Frementing Vessels there which they had bought from Faversham. No idea if they are still in use now Gales is part of Fullers but your London Pride may well have Faversham links

PowerSurge

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 18:32:56 »
That rings a bell about the loading stage

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 13:12:04 »
There were numerous vaults and cellars under most parts of the site but the only one that I knew of  was a duct with a couple of beer mains (pipes) that went across the road to Sheps. Most likeley your one was either for the clean casks coming down or the full ones to go up to the loading stage. II seem to remember some pictures of the cellars on an Urb Ex site in which they claimed the rolling tracks/skids in the floor were a miniature railway for hauling casks. There was a large cellar under the main offices fronting onto Court St that had a secure walk in vault as well as masses of old paperwork from the 1930s -bills advertising, cancelled cheques etc.

PowerSurge

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 13:03:36 »
Thanks for the replies. Its always fasinating to see how places used to look. I was shown around what reamains of the cellars at the brewery as well and saw the enterance to an old tunnel that I think lead towards the creek, sadly its now sealed up.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 19:08:28 »
If only the clock could be turned back to see all the original workings and goings on seafordpete. Sounds like you saw the best of the last of it..wish I had been there. :)

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 19:04:55 »
The gardens on the right were the Head Brewers. In the 1970s they were ripped up and tarmaced to make a trailer park for tankers delivering to the bottling stores. The left hand block held the malt bins, mills and mash tuns and the coppers. The Right hand block was the fermentaion rooms at the top, conditioning rooms below and then the cellars. The Malting is the block in the middle with 3 cowls, Water tanks at the top for steeping the grain and then the sprouting floors, All sealed up in my time and no idea where the malt kilns were. The bridge had gone by 1970 when I first went there, in fact never knew ther was one. The left chimney was the Boiler house  and I'm guessing the right one may be for the coppers or a seperate boiler for the cask wash plant. This thing had to be seen to be believed, especially ion a winters day. It was called a Goliath washer and essentially a cradle ( think of a huge swingboat at the fair)that moved the casks over a number of jets of cold water to rinse out then hot, then steam. In an open side shed it looked like a scene out of Dickens, wreathed in clouds of steam.  The casks then went down a skid and under the roadway to the cellars on the right hand block

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 18:42:09 »
Here is an image of the old brewery from a trade card in my collection..cannot find it right now but here is an image I had on the PC.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:56:34 »
Nostalig photos for me, thanks. I never went to that area and had a job to work out where it was but think it must have been behind the cask return and wasking yard

PowerSurge

Faversham Old Brewrey
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 20:43:15 »
Thanks to the lovely guys from Pearce, I had the chance a while back to climb the chimney at the old Faversham Brewery, Which is amazing feat for me as I detest heights. Like the third Loco Shed in Faversham this building is actually been saved and renovated and turned into flats as well as an extension to our Tesco's.

The site manager played on my fear of heights a little bit when he explained that the scaffolding was canter leaver and only attached to the chimney by two pivot points and some weights.

Here are a couple of shots from the day. I would love to hear what stories people have about this place.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines