News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beech Court, Deal, Kent  (Read 3188 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Beech Court, Deal, Kent
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:56:35 »
Looking at some maps, this house starts off originally as "Cotmanton", after which it becomes "Beach Court", before finally settling on "Beech Court".

It's marked on newer OS maps as "Saint Mary's Convent".

Offline ElleM

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 23:58:55 »
One of my friends has an old visitors' book for Beech Court starting from October 1906 and going up to August 1938. There are some fascinating comments and quotes in it too. There some eminent names, also, including classics scholars and archaeologists. There are many mentions of the Radcliffes.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:30:31 »
I went and had a look on GE and it was interesting to be able to see the road and the entrance with the sign.  I tried going up the drive, but it was very frustrating as although I could see something through the trees, I just couldn't get there!  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 18:48:51 »
Ah.....!  Thank you so much for that info  :)  I'll go and have a look, as I haven't had time yet.

It sounds as if the Nuns moved on, as (like a lot of the religious groups etc.) their numbers fell and they couldn't keep the house going.  I'm pleased that it was taken over for the elderly though, but suspect that it had to be modified inside.  I really wish I'd had chance to look at the inside way back when it was unaltered. Having said that the Nuns had moved on, from the notice, they could still be using it as well.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 18:37:54 »
In fact you can position yourself in GE to see the entrance to the drive (in Rectory Rd). And there's a sign there: "Our Lady of the Missions. Residential Care Home. KCC Registered". And in KCC's Kent Care Directory (glad I didn't dump it :)) they're registered as "St Joseph's Residential Home, owner Mrs E.A. Page, Client Group: Older people". Which may or may not include elderly nuns, of course...

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 18:16:08 »

I've since done a google search and found that the Sisters have a website, but it doesn't mention being a rest home for the elderly nuns now.  At least it still seems to be in their care.  Shame that the trees obscure the view, but I think that is why it was used as a retreat.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 17:18:34 »
Looks as though it's still there, busyglen: 86 Rectory Rd, Deal, at the junction with Glack Rd. Nice aerial view on G.E. but surrounded by trees so street view's no use.  :(

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
Beech Court, Deal, Kent
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 17:02:14 »
I've just come across these photos that I obtained in 2003, and thought I would post them as I am not sure if the place is still there now.  The reason for my interest, is that my mother went to work there as Kitchen Maid when she was fourteen in 1918.  It was occupied at that time by Mr & Mrs Radcliffe and they had quite a large staff for the size of the property.  Later my mother took over as Cook, when the current Cook ran away with the Chauffeur!  

My mother had many stories to tell of her time there and when she was poorly, towards the end of her life, I persuaded her to write down her memories of her time there.  I eventually included this when I wrote her life story some time later.

I had no photographs at all of the house, and in 2003 started searching the internet (not so easy in those days) for the house.  Eventually I came across a mention of Beech Court as being a retreat for retired Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions.  I wrote to them asking if they had a copy of any photos of the house, and they sent me these two on loan from their archives.  I was over the moon, but I only had an antiquated scanner, so these copies are not very good I'm afraid.  Still, they do show what the house was like, although it was much larger than it looks.  There was also a Chauffeur's cottage in the grounds.  The house had a long drive, which swept down to the entrance which had Beech trees on either side.  

If anyone knows of other photos of this house, I'd be very grateful, or even if the house is still there.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines