News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Grand Cinema, Gillingham  (Read 10774 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: The Grand Cinema, Gillingham
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 16:07:52 »
Money not wasted KeithJG very interesting and lots of great pictures

KeithJG

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 15:53:24 »
Just to say smiler, i have just bought the book "Gillingham and Around", another to my collection.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 18:07:59 »
That interior shot shows it as GRAND. When I knew it in the late 30's, it was somewhat down market & refered to as " the flea pit". I remember specifically going there with my parents in '38/39 to see The Crazy Gang in " Alf's Button Afloat" & on the way home buying some hot chestnuts from the " roasting" hand cart next to the High Street Co-Op in Gardner Street?( where the subway toilets were).

KeithJG

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 13:59:31 »
smiler ...as you have made my day i will tell you my sob story.

My mother when i was 8yrs in 1956 managed to get breast cancer ( a lump) after falling from a tree while apple picking.

My Mum`s best friend actually gave me the money and told me to go to the pictures at The Grand because the "King and I" was on being shown, only went to Saturday Morning pictures until then.

These were the days when us youngsters were protected from everything and i was not even allowed to go to my Mother`s funeral when she ultimately died in 1959.

But it was only a few years back that i did realise that my Mum`s best friend coersed me to go to the pictures because she accompanied my Mum to St Bart`s hospital for x-rays etc.

I haven`t seen the inside of this cinema since.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 10:39:15 »
Interior of the Grand taken in the 1920s. Ventilators in the ceiling alleviated the tobacco smoke and in the summer roof sections could be slid open for additional air.   photo from Gillingham and Around by Joyce and Miller.

KeithJG

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 19:15:19 »
This was my favourite cinema at the age of 7yrs in 1955...later the next year i saw the "King and I"  12 times... absolute magic ...I used to sing and skip to the tunes all the way home.....what good childish times!

Used to go to Saturday Morning pictures for 6d, matinees were 6d and 9d upstairs, don`t think I ever went upstairs though as I like the confectionery long bar at the rear of the downstairs.

Got thrown out one time for being very jolly. Had bought my ticket and when inside ran all the way down heavy footed to the front seats, they were wooden floors so imagine the noise, an usherette with a torch came down and got me and threw me out. Being an only child I was always on my own.......Happy Days.

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:43 »
If anyone wants to watch the movie 'Larceny Lane' (aka 'Blonde Crazy'), [1931] with Guy Kibbee, James Cagney and Louis Calhern, you can jump the queue shown in Post #1 at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RioqJ5AML0
Life's different upside down

David Beattie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:52:37 »
A shot of The Grand between 1912-1916 I think, when it was a music hall and before it became a cinema.  Part of my genealogy search for William T Beattie.  Who was manager of the Theatre in 1912/13 and Secretary after that.  I believe he is the figure in the picture in the bowler hat in front of the left hand pillar.  Any information to help me date this photo more precisely or identify the "cast" in the photo gratefully received.

gina drexler

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 22:10:01 »
I remember going there one Christmas Eve with my sister. I was about five, they gave the kids free Mivi icecreams!!!!!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:59 »
Can we keep to the topic please, this thread is for the Grand Cinema in Gillingham.

Mike Young

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:44:51 »
Hello gavinparson,

The Classic was indeed formerly The Odeon, but even more formerly it was The Embassy.

The Gaumont, formerly The Palace, up on the"Top Road" is actually in Chatham; just, by a few yards!

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 21:45:54 »
Hi gavinparson
I suggest reading the book Dumb, Show and Noise by Brian Joyce (ISBN - 0954578503) it mentions the cinemas of the Medway Towns. Gillingham had lots of mini cinemas. For example the Hippodrome, where Balmoral Health centre is now, and a cinema in an old chapel on Pier Road, amongst others.
Well worth a read :)

gavinparson

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 21:39:49 »
My mother was only talking about The Grand today. We were trying to recall how many cinemas there'd been in Gillingham.

I reckoned there were 4.

Grand
Plaza
Classic- Formerly the Odeon?
Palace

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 13:06:03 »
Brings back a few memories and am I right in remembering double seats up the back [old bus seats] or was that the Royal in Rainham?

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:01:43 »
where was this one?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines