News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Berry Ede and White  (Read 8567 times)

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
Re: Berry Ede and White
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 09:13:07 »
Just remembered there was a blind chap who always worked on his own machine,we called him "Blind Bill".  He had a watch That the front opened up, and he could feel the hands to tell the time.

Worst job was cleaning the castings by blowing them out with a pressure hose.  You had to wear protctive goggles but they kept getting so dirty it was easier not to wear them.  I had many scratches cause by filings that my eyes took years after I left there before they fully healed.
2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline anton46

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 22:10:54 »
I worked at Berry Ede and White when I left school , I worked on the Furnival cutting and creasing machines

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:49 »
Hi Django. There was a mate of mine who drank in the Bridge Wardens (1960s) by the name of Bill Dimmock or Dimmick who I'm sure  worked at BEW. Wonder if that was the same man? If so he would be well into his 90s now.
He lived in Binnacle Rd., Cookham Wood.
AlanH.

Django

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 19:41:36 »
A friend of mine Bill Dimmick went into partnership with Keith Grinstead, and bought some of the machinery of Berry Ede and White
when they closed down.  They set up a workshop along the banks at Rochester. They were there for a number of years employing
some of the ladies who had also worked at Berry Ede and White, including Rose Austen and Joan Jarrett, workmates for over 40 years.

Bill and Keith closed down about nine years ago. Shortly after, Keith passed away. Bill is still enjoying his retirement.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 13:36:27 »
I worked at Berry Ede and Whites for about 18 month in the mid to late sixties.  If memory serves me correctly there was a main building on one side of the road and a smaller one on the river side.  I remember if we wanted to use the canteen we had to go to the larger building.  I may be wrong about the larger building which may have been another company who allowed BEW to use their canteen.

I do remember one of our workers asking for 'shirtlifters on a raft'  (beans on toast) and was promptly banned!

There was also a raft race in which home made rafts were built by several of the factories along Rochester esplanade, the race was to the new bridge and back to a point which I forget. BEW made a raft and our team did well up to the bridge.  Again, if memory serves, the return was marred by the raft falling apart.

The main part of the work in our building was to machine gear casings for Ford engines.  Drilling and reaming holes and smoothing edges etc.
2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 16:55:11 »

Can you post a few names of your workmates in the printing dept., man-of-kent? I worked with a few ex-BEW people in the trade but can`t remember their names. There was another printing firm in Medway - I think it was Brown, Knight and Truscott and I may be confusing the two companies.
[/quote]
David Bowers; Colin Mier; John Champion; John Tuff; Dave Conway; Roger Martin.
Foreman: Eric Richardson; Asst Foreman:  Kieth Grinstead.

Derek
Derek Brice

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 13:21:42 »
I was in the stationary area on a rather ancient printing machine.

Derek Brice
Can you post a few names of your workmates in the printing dept., man-of-kent? I worked with a few ex-BEW people in the trade but can`t remember their names. There was another printing firm in Medway - I think it was Brown, Knight and Truscott and I may be confusing the two companies.

Offline CHANTALIAN

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 11:06:35 »
Started at Berry, Ede & White on 20th April 1970 and worked there until 5th October 1970, whilst waiting for college results.

My pay, for the 40 hr week was 13 4s 6d a week paid in arrear on the Friday of each week except in the case of overtime and/or any bonus due, these were paid on the Friday the following week.

If anybody is interested I could scan the contract and conditions and post them.

A fairly happy place to work, especially if you knew you would not be there forever.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:44:50 »
It was called BEW (auto products) when i worked there.... Moved to Medway city estate years after i left
Is it still going?

Back in the days of my mis-spent youth I sold life insurance and pensions.  Somehow I managed to get a meeting with the MD of BEW (until I went, I hadn't twigged it was Berry, Ede and White) - would have been early 1978 I think.

Nice enough guy or so he seemed, can't remember his name.  I never saw the end of our negotiations though.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:20:25 »
I worked for a part of BEW in 1967. It was small workshop up the back of the main factory and I'm sure it was called "The Practical Machine Co" or something.
They made little machines for wetting envelopes to save them having to be licked. This was a great little device for companies which had hundreds of letters to be mailed every day.
AlanH.

medwayboy

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 19:10:52 »
It was called BEW (auto products) when i worked there.... Moved to Medway city estate years after i left

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 16:49:09 »
I was in the stationary area on a rather ancient printing machine.

Derek Brice
Derek Brice

jaj

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 14:56:34 »
My brother did his time there and a couple of years after.(Mick Jones)

1973-79 ish

medwayboy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 14:52:14 »
I started there in 1983 working on the manifolds (SAAB if memory serves) and moved into the small spray shop at the back later on... Spent many hours in the tunnels during lunch....

Loved working there before I moved onto Alloy wheels ..... 

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
Berry Ede and White
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 14:35:27 »
Are there any former Berry Ede and White workers here?
I worked there for three years back in the late 1960s.
For those who didn't work there, it was located between CAVs and the chalk bank in Rochester Esplanade.

Derek Brice
Derek Brice

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines