News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Invicta Works, Sheerness.  (Read 4279 times)

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 5
Re: Invicta Works, Sheerness.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:46 »
Does anyone know if the 'Invicta Works' was built as a factory or was it originally a Church or Synagogue (as it is near to a Jewish Cemetery and looks similar style to a place of worship)?

Thanks for any information you can give me on this subject.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 19:05:24 »
Way back in the  1940's?  Les Jacobs was in the same table tennis ( ping pong ?)team as I was , he was a very good player.
I play  cards every Fiday from circa 10.30 to 4.00 ish with Bob Malherbe  etc and his brother was the manager at this Shirt Factory before going to South Africa to bring their shirt factory up to modern standards, A  report on this was in the local newspaper The  Sheerness Times and Guardian 24th or 31st complte with his photo.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 16:51:02 »
You are right, Busyglen.  Mr. & Mrs. Jaccobs had two children, Jeffery and his sister, whos name I cannot remember, Jeff was one of my school friends.   Back then in the 1970s, the shirt factory was in New Road, near the garage, so I guess that at some point they move to there from Hope St.

For those folk who do not know where abouts Invicta Works was, it is in Hope St, Hope St, is just off the High St, near the clock tower.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 13:51:42 »
Yes that is correct.  I can remember a lot of females going to work there.  In later years I believe it was run by someone called Jacobs, and I can remember my Mother & Father getting loads of packs of boxes to make up for the shirts to earn a bit of extra money after he'd retired.  I helped sometimes and although it was a boring job, it was surprising how quickly you could do it with practise.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:17:39 »
I have a copy of the 1902 Parsons Street Directory and it calls it 'Invicta Shirt and Collar Works - Newland and Gompertz' and its manager was a Thomas Saunders.

Next door, on the site of Hogbens funeral directors was 'The Good Intent' Public House

You can find a copy of the 1902 Directory on:                                                       http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/Sheppey%20Sheerness.html

Hope this is of some help to you

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Invicta Works, Sheerness.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 22:47:38 »
I took these photos today, anyone know anything about the Invicta Works?  Now, and for many years used by Hogben's undertakers.  I'm sure that this has been mentioned on here before.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines