News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Burtons Tailors and Snooker  (Read 15623 times)

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
Re: Burtons Tailors and Snooker
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 00:57:24 »
In 2013 we revisited "The Court School of Dancing" above "Burtons", Chatham.  In 1973 I met my wife there.  The current snooker club operators were happy for me to take some pics.  The photo taken that includes the bar, has been altered very slightly to remove two people that were there.
"Change is the only constant"

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 09:37:45 »
Chatham High St and Military Road was a magnet for everyone on a Saturday afternoon in the 60s KeithJG. Not all of us spent our time looking at clothes though as there were many other attractions.... especially those selling liquid refreshment.  :)
Then they built that monstrosity the Pentagon and spoiled so much. :-((
AlanH.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 16:27:32 »
Ah, yes Dinsy, thanks for the reminder :) I had forgotten Wilsons but there were so many different dress shops back then ( 1960s onwards ) it's difficult to remember who was who and where they were now.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 13:32:31 »
I think that the National Electric Cinema building had become a dress shop called 'Wilsons' by the seventies, Lyn L, and sometime in the eighties it was a low-budget clothing store called 'Mark One' (or something like that anyway!)  :)

KeithJG

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:36 »
Here is a picture of  "The Fifty Shilling Taylor"

Anyone remember opposite Burtons was Top Man?.....one of my friends embarrassingly had to lay on the floor to do up his flies as his jeans were so tight :)

Also Weaver to Wearer were up the High Street  near Lyons tea shop.

We were all around the clothes shops on a Saturday afternoon in the early/mid sixties.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 16:48:59 »
Yes you are right KeithJG, it is opposite what was BHS. I didn't remember Dorothy Perkins being there though, but the names changed quite often. My boys quite liked going there, the slope intrigued them  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

KeithJG

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 16:26:12 »
I've had a bit of a google and found this ....https://www.flickr.com/photos/22737830@N02/6985402404

I knew it wasn't called the Invicta and there was previously a pic on the forum of it posted by our dear PC. I can't find it now but this is the one I recall. After a flash of inspiration, I remembered the dress shop there was called Gergels (flashes don't happen too often now :) ) many a few bob I spent in there, can't remember who took it over but it was a dress shop for years after, just known by different names.

Also Lyn L that National Electric Cinema used to be Dorothy Perkins as I hated standing on the slope while my Stepmother picked her clothes out. It is more opposite where British Home Stores was.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 09:18:34 »
"Best Marks and Spencer's cardigan worn draped over the shoulders as an ensemble topped of with a small hand bag to go in the middle when dancing with her mates."

Blimey Signals. Didn't realise you used to dress up like that for Victors! I just used my normal clothes...... :-))
Can't remember any of the girls at the Parlour itself but the Parlour ice cream van which used to go around Cookham Wood was driven by a lady named Sheila.... lovely person and my first love.
All in the mind as she was in her late 20s I think and I was about 12. :-))
Wonderful stuff but how can we all remember stuff going back 50 and 60 years with such clarity but what the cook (wife) told us to do earlier today has faded away .......
AlanH.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8874.0;topicseen

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 13:06:17 »
I've only ever been into Burtons once, and that was because my brother was buying some clothes. I was more a Marcus/Silvers man! It was the late sixties/early seventies and he handed over a piece of plastic to pay for the clothes. I'd never seen anything like this before; and after the assistant spent 15 minutes faffing about with flimsy papers, pens and a contraption that looked like a mini guillotine I thought to myself,  'this will never catch on!' :)

I loved the  Woolworths/Invicta/John Collier area of the High Street during the 60s. It was a great time to be a teenager  as it seemed like overnight the austerity of the 50s disappeared to be replaced by the colour and buzz of the 60s; and the High Street and Military Road were the place to be. Shop assistants who previously would look down their noses at us teens, seemed to be replaced overnight by 'dolly birds' who would tell you you looked 'gear' when trying something on, or tell you not to bother as that particular style would be 'out' soon. And who can forget the earnest conversations with an assistant over which brand of jeans was best if you intended to sit in the bath to shrink them! Yet, for whatever reason, Burtons seemed to be forever stuck in the 50s.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 12:12:50 »
I've had a bit of a google and found this ....https://www.flickr.com/photos/22737830@N02/6985402404

I knew it wasn't called the Invicta and there was previously a pic on the forum of it posted by our dear PC. I can't find it now but this is the one I recall. After a flash of inspiration, I remembered the dress shop there was called Gergels (flashes don't happen too often now :) ) many a few bob I spent in there, can't remember who took it over but it was a dress shop for years after, just known by different names.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 11:34:41 »
 The Invicta was the cinema LynL . I remember it as a dress shop, my sisters always made a bee line for it when Mum took us shopping in Chatham. The sloping floor was very noticeable. Once went to a film there "Journey to the moon",.still it had its compensations, we always went to Demarcoes ice cream parlour afterwards, cup of tea for Mum and a sticky bun for me.High on the facade of the cinema /shop was a statue of a white horse, I think the term is rampant, the sort of thing on the front of the Aveling and Porter steam rollers. Wonder if it's still there? Don't recall when the cinima closed, but I was about six , that would be 1947.

AlanH, I only went to Victor Sylvester to meet young ladies, so like you, my dancing is not so hot. Do you recall the girls at the parlour? Beehive hairdos, multi-layered petticoats plus white winkle-picker stilletos.

Best Marks and Spencer's cardigan worn draped over the shoulders as an ensemble topped of with a small hand bag to go in the middle when dancing with her mates. Happy days!

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 11:05:01 »
Burtons at Sheerness High Street, the manager was Bert Townsend, a friend of mine. We played table tennis together, he played for BlueTown church team. We also collected foreign stamps and I would purchase mint stamps for Bert as I went to various countries. On one trip I bought 8 of 1/ 6d each Australian stamps and he was delighted as this particular stamp was semi-rare.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 10:14:10 »
Lots of different memories coming from this thread. Burtons for my first and only Italian styled jacket, then a long dark overcoat which was slightly too big for me and cost about 8 guineas from memory!!!!
Must have been stark staring to have paid that much but the girls in the Parlour liked it so that was what really mattered.
Doug who owned the Parlour café and ice cream vans who wouldn't give me a job servicing his fruit machines...... they took sixpences in those days with no counter.
"1 for the landlord of the pub/café etc, 1 for Doug and 1 for me" as the blokes that serviced them used to say.  :) Doug must have seen the signs in my eyes....
Snooker upstairs with various mates and a few in the Imperial Forces afterwards.
And who can forget Victor Sylvester's dance halls? Up above the Gaumont by Star Hill. Great fun but I never could dance then and still can't. :)
AlanH.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 07:36:38 »
No Signals99, you've got the Parlour right, it was THE place to go , spent many happy hours there. How well I remember buying something myself and paying a deposit and then 10/- a week in a shop just over the road from John Colliers  ( was an old cinema at one time ) the name eludes me now . I remember  that the floor sloped down and the whole place had everything I could have wanted. It's now  £1 shop.  :)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 22:41:26 »
Hi Lyn L thanks for puting me right,yes indeed it was John Colliers ,as soon as I read your blog it came to me ,sorry I got it wrong,but those were the names that came to me when I published.Just shows you how our memories can play tricks on us.Cant honestly remember when I purchesd my Italian jacket /suite but I can remember it cost twelve pounds,two pounds down and ten shillings a week for ever,had its first outing to the Parlour coffe shop ,Chatham end of the banks,or have I got that wrong too?🐼

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines