News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Burtons Tailors and Snooker  (Read 15635 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: Burtons Taylors and Snooker
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:14:00 »
Welcome to the forum, Tony Young! You`ve got me baffled as I cannot remember Burton`s being at the corner of William Street. As far as I know it has always been on the opposite side of the High Street and about 200yds to the east, approximately opposite where the old Town Hall was situated. As for watching the money transfer system from the entrance to Burton`s, I can`t remember them having that system, but that`s probably down to my failing memory, but I do remember the snooker tables on the first floor. The shops that I remember having the overhead money transfer system were the Co-op, Featherstones and possibly Hulburds. Perhaps you can jog my memory as, although I remember Hawksfield`s, I `ve forgotten where it was.

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 04:50:41 »
Certainly the original Burtons (1950s) in Sittingbourne High Street, corner of William St., had a snooker hall. I used to be able to watch from my bedroom on the third floor of the 'flat' above Hawksfields Coal Offices across the road. I also used to stand in the door of Burtons just to watch the money transfer on the wires above the counters to the cash centre in the store. Great machinery, little tins catapulted on wires over everyone's heads.
Life's different upside down

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 18:10:14 »

The art-Deco elephant head relief's are a nice touch, I wonder if this was a standard detail on the old Burton's buildings?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 17:46:08 »
On the outside of every Burtons I have seen is a stone engraved with the opening details, usually by a member of the Burton family. This is at ground level by the boundary to next shop along. A lot of the shops had details above the windows and nice little metal Burtons vents below, a very nice touch.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 17:18:19 »
Think you will find that as many Burtons had a dance hallover the shop, had a snooker room. The one in Margate had both.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 15:29:55 »

Thats very interesting.  I remember Burtons in Chatham very well.  When I was a small girl I used to go Ballroom Dancing on a Saturday morning, which was held in a room above their building.

Court's School of Dancing. Went there a couple of times in the early '70's. My late Brother-in-Law won gold medals there.

YoungNan

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 15:18:06 »

Thats very interesting.  I remember Burtons in Chatham very well.  When I was a small girl I used to go Ballroom Dancing on a Saturday morning, which was held in a room above their building.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:55 »
In the late 50s, the first floor of Burton`s in Chatham was used for National Service medical examinations and some other tests which I can`t remember much about. During a break in the the proceedings another conscript and myself crept out to the nearest pub and quaffed a few pints in an attempt foil the urine test. All to no avail, we were both A1.

Offline Rambo

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 13:13:43 »
Bit of history of Burtons. In 1710 was a pub called Tobacco Roll then in 1832 became the Green Man, change again in 1864 became United Services not to be confused with the United Services where Primarks stands. Finally became the Horse Shoe Hotel in 1882 till 1934 when the licence was not renewed.
Hope it is of interest.
All the best to all for 2011.
Rambo.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:40:32 »
It was to do with their sales pitch of targeting 18-30 year olds.
They knew that most Snooker/Billiards players were within that age group.
You could join the club for an annual fee. (that would cover the cost of running the hall).
Most people pre payed for a suit.
X amount shillings a week and you got a good deal.
They were worked out in Guineas 21 -/- or 1 one Shilling.

I think John Collier did the same sort of thing....

As i wasnt about then so im not 100 percent sure :)

Burtons and Snooker goes back well before 18-30 year olds were a market force and when Burtons were pretty much bespoke only. I guess that stopped about early 1970s, I had my wedding suit made to measure in 1968 ( 32) with about 3 fittings so probably took about 6 weeks. Doesn't answer the question of why the link other than it was a man's game and  outfitters and snooker attracted both so there could be mutual benefit

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:02 »
I bought a few things from Burtons on the corner of Military Rd and the High St. I think it was nearly 50 years ago....well over 40 anyway! Played snooker there as well on a number of occasions.
Didn't realise then that there was a connection between the flogging of "mens apparel" and snooker. :)
AlanH.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 23:57:15 »
It was to do with their sales pitch of targeting 18-30 year olds.
They knew that most Snooker/Billiards players were within that age group.
You could join the club for an annual fee. (that would cover the cost of running the hall).
Most people pre paid for a suit. X amount shillings a week and you got a good deal.
They were worked out in Guineas 21/- or 1 one shilling.

I think John Collier did the same sort of thing....

As I wasn't about then I'm not 100 percent sure :)

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Macaroon

• Appreciation 2
Burtons Tailors and Snooker
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 23:05:02 »
Someone passed a remark today that had my interest and it is  :  most Burton Tailors shops had a snooker hall above  them.  This made me wonder what the connection might be as it was so common.
Anyone shed any light on this?
Time fly's and its charged to your account.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines