News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rochester Grammar School for Girls  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: Rochester Grammar School for Girls
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 20:32:12 »
Here is a picture of the old Grammer school on the Rochester Maidstone road.
Hope x

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 18:44:53 »
Strange reading about Rochester Grammar School for Girls, today.

I attended my first Jury Service in Maidstone, in the 1950/60`s when I was chosen by the prisoner
to make up the jury of twelve men & women. It turned out that the prisoner had allegedly, broken
in to the school, through a window. The prisoner was in a leg plaster cast, at the time. He challenged
a police woman, on HOW he could get through a window, with the cast on. The case lasted for three      days, then he was aquitted. It was My one & only jury service.
MoK

Offline Rgsgirl

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 14:11:50 »
Hello Jill, I started in 1966.  One of my facourite teachers was Mrs Sandford who was a first rate teacher of French.

grantidge

Rochester Grammar School for Girls
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 21:33:35 »
Hi - anyone else on here an Old Girl of RGS?  I started there in September 1965.  It was the fulfilment of a long-held wish, as I lived just a short distance away and often saw the girls walking down the lane on their way to school.  Nice smart uniforms and hats!  I wanted to be just like them.

(I've always loved hats and have a large and varied collection to this day.)

I was very happy there and got a lot out of my time at school.  I was lucky enough to have a great English teacher, Miss Symonds who was a real enthusiast with an exhaustive knowledge of language and literature, which she passed on to me.  Another memorable teacher was Miss Narcisse-Mair, a Jamaican lady who taught music, was a REAL musician and very charismatic.  Sadly she died last year.  Then there was Crabby Croucher, who "taught" maths and often called me an idiot who had no right to be at a grammar school.  Erm - I did OK in my other subjects....

Fellow pupils I remember include Lesley Barrow, Fiona McDermott, Pen Baker, Linda Collins, Jane Ruggles, Sue Whittington and Lesley Cooper.  I am still in contact with quite a few of them.  So to any RGS-ites on here - hi!

Jill

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines