Author Topic: RM Deal Barracks  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 12
Re: RM Deal Barracks
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 16:40:25 »
Haven't seen that angle of the Barracks before, Shirley B - thanks for posting it. Just as an addition to what you said earlier, my uncle's close friend was on the Royal Oak when it was torpedoed. He said it was absolutely horrific and was lucky to survive.

Alastair
   Hi Alistair- youre welcome. Aye, the RO was horrific and tracically a lot of men died of their wounds after being rescued.
I am originally from Reading but moved up to the farNorth of Scotland 10 years ago. Every year I go across to Orkney and join in the Royal Oak memorial service where a few survivors attend and relatives of both survivors and those lost. We go out on a boat and lay wreaths by the Marker bouy along with memebers of the Northern diving group who change the ensign yearly and then present it in a small ceremony afterwards to a nominated person.
My other ties with Kent are my uncle (Kens brother) who lives at Lydd on sea and my cousin.
Shirley B

It's marvellous that a memorial Ceremony is held every year. It's so important that the crew are remembered.

Getting off Topic here and I'll get  told off again

Alastair

seaJane

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 00:47:42 »
Don't know what happened to them but you might find out from the RN Trophy Store: Fort Blockhouse, Haslar Road, GOSPORT. PO12 2AB.
Another potential address for information: RN Trophy Centre, Hardy Block, HMS Nelson, HMNB Portsmouth, PO1 3HH

seaJane

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 15:08:55 »
When Chatham Barracks closed the large carved plaques of RM and Admiralty crests form the Main Gate were removed and taken to Deal. The last time I saw them was on the outside wall of what I think was the NAAFI at Deal Barracks in about 1988(?) Does anyone know what happened to them after the closure of Deal?

Don't know what happened to them but you might find out from the RN Trophy Store: Fort Blockhouse, Haslar Road, GOSPORT. PO12 2AB.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 10:33:56 »
When Chatham Barracks closed the large carved plaques of RM and Admiralty crests form the Main Gate were removed and taken to Deal. The last time I saw them was on the outside wall of what I think was the NAAFI at Deal Barracks in about 1988(?) Does anyone know what happened to them after the closure of Deal?

Incidentally the aerial picture posted by Shirley B shows a colonnaded set of barrack blocks that appear almost identical to the old Melville Hospital at Chatham.

Shirley B

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 21:14:06 »
Haven't seen that angle of the Barracks before, Shirley B - thanks for posting it. Just as an addition to what you said earlier, my uncle's close friend was on the Royal Oak when it was torpedoed. He said it was absolutely horrific and was lucky to survive.

Alastair
   Hi Alistair- youre welcome. Aye, the RO was horrific and tracically a lot of men died of their wounds after being rescued.
I am originally from Reading but moved up to the farNorth of Scotland 10 years ago. Every year I go across to Orkney and join in the Royal Oak memorial service where a few survivors attend and relatives of both survivors and those lost. We go out on a boat and lay wreaths by the Marker bouy along with memebers of the Northern diving group who change the ensign yearly and then present it in a small ceremony afterwards to a nominated person.
My other ties with Kent are my uncle (Kens brother) who lives at Lydd on sea and my cousin.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 19:07:50 »
There are some more pics of the barracks on this site.

http://royalmarinesbands.myfreeforum.org/about4511.html&highlight=

My brother joined as a Boy Bandsman in 1950 and was there , apart from overseas duties until the late 60s.

And this site shows how they kept some of the barrack buildings when it closed down.

http://www.d-j-ellis.co.uk/project/former-royal-marine-barracks-deal

Rather nice and rather expensive homes.  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 15:26:10 »

Alastair

Shirley B

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 14:00:08 »
here is the barracks, my uncle has marked his block with an ex- he was 18 when he was here and 19 when he died

Shirley B

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 13:52:53 »
My uncle Kenneth Hall was a Royal Marine who lost his life aboard HMS Royal Oak in 1939 along with 883 others.
He was based at Deal Barracks and thought you may be interested in a a picture of him at the Barracks and a card he sent to my nan.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 13:41:40 »
The Cedars Doctor's Surgery is where the Coal yard was and the Swimming Baths were later.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 66
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 19:39:32 »
it's looking down the Strand at Walmer, towards Deal - you can just see part of the Castle behind the Coal Yard. On the right is where the Paddling pool is now.

Ah yes.....I hadn't spotted the Castle, thanks.  I thought I was further along.  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 16:48:17 »
it's looking down the Strand at Walmer, towards Deal - you can just see part of the Castle behind the Coal Yard. On the right is where the Paddling pool is now.

theartist

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 16:43:21 »
i think its granville st, it leaves victoria rd. at a sharp angle just past the castle.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 66
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 14:43:19 »
Am I looking in the right direction?  Those group of cottages running across the road at the bottom, look like the Coastguard cottages, are they?
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 14:08:33 »