Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone remember Bardell terrace Rochester.  (Read 7178 times)

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
Re: Anyone remember Bardell terrace Rochester.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 14:03:20 »
Had to smile.  :) We demand that disused buildings and building sites must be secure to protect our children and grandchildren. But turn back the clock fifty or sixty years and to us they were our playgrounds. There used to be more kids on the Troy Town building/slum clearance site of an evening than builders during the day!
And a trip down Blue Boar Lane and (was it Furrells Road?), always led to adventure. Crabbing off the pier Signals99 mentioned was a regular activity. North of the railway tracks seemed such a vast area as a kid; with an adventure around every corner. When I look on a map now it's featureless and seems so small.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:14 »
Rochester-bred, thank you for putting me right re the cafe dating. The old memory is not so good nowadays, totally agree with you about finding our own amusement. Remember the old iron dump, down Blue Boar Lane, spent many an hour on Rochester pier (not the one by the castle) just pottering about. True you did not have to worry too much about "strange men" but we still had some dodgy people about then?
          I can recall loads of places in the Medway towns at that time that invited the interest of us young people, not least the young ladies of Bardell Terrace 😜

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 15:33:27 »
The cafe was still open in the 70s but closed by the time of the fire ,when it was open the people who used it often took the liberty of using the toilets at the bottom of our garden and as you say it was a bit of a greasy spoon kind of cafe ,when it closed us children used to play inside as the door had at some point been left open and we used to serve other children with the soft drinks that had been left in bottles and play at being cafe owners ourselves ,never causing damage but as often in those days children found there own amusements on disused building sites etc anything rather than be indoors .
***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 14:04:46 »
Hi Rochester-bred, the cafe you mention that stood in Furrells Rd closed in the late sixties. It was a real 'dive' to use the slang of that time. It was mostly used by the gangs of Stevedores and dockers who gathered in the area waiting to 'dab ' on or be selected to work the pulp boats. There was a National Mission to Deep Sea Sailors in the area, up a set of stairs and over the top of Rootes garage which was also used by the gangs. Most of the boats belonged to the "Dan" line ie: Mega Dan, Ola Dan, to name a couple, when it rained they sheltered under the railway bridge at the end of Bardell Terrace.  An area best avoided before eight in the morning. (by the way I meant the men sheltered under the bridge, not the ships).😀

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 14:27:54 »
Fire in Bardell Terrace.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 14:26:07 »
I have just found a newspaper article mentioning the disused cafe which was in Furrells road behind the Rochester court house , this cafe actually was partly in the bottom of number 1 and 2 Bardell Terrace , making their gardens smaller than the rest of the houses. Its dated 9th November 1971.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 04:11:43 »
Signals99 I bet I most likely knew the lady as everyone knew everyone there. I only just found out a couple of days ago that my best friend from there had passed away. So sad as she was only a year older than me, made me very sad to hear.

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 20:37:55 »
When I was a Telegram boy in the early sixties, we used to turn into Furrels Road and then along Bardell Terrace to go into the Post Office garage to refuel. There was a gentlemen from Bardell Terrace who was a cleaner in the garage, I think his nickname was `smelly` .Very dark and dingy looking road. I remember it coming down but cannot recall the year.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 19:41:28 »
Bardell Terrace was well known to me in my youth, many of my friends lived there. I particularly recall one family the Hobdays . At one time the family owned/ran a toy shop next to the alley that ran up the side of the Majestic/Gaumont , late forties early  fifties , it sold prams as well, the high type with one set of small wheels at the front and a larger pair at the rear, got a feeling the brand name was Silver Cross or something along those lines.
I also had the pleasure of the company of a young lady who lived in the terrace, no names as the maiden in question may well be still with us,(alas no longer a maiden) I beleive the family moved to the Warren Wood /Tideway area. Happy happy days.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 14:44:29 »
I wonder if anyone remembers this road Bardell Terrace Rochester situated behind Rochester court house (now a dentist) ,the house's had no bath apart from an old tin one kept on the fence , no electric upstairs ,only one tap of cold water and no inside toilet just a toilet down the bottom of the garden, a coal fire and only a copper to heat the water up in ,I live at number 2 and my grandparents and uncles lived at number 3 ,there was 20 houses with 2 facing corporation street but when a lorry crashed into one they pulled the 2 houses down . Once we left the whole row of 3 story houses facing the railway track next to Roots the garage by the old Rochester train station ,where all pulled down ,we then moved to Bridge road in Rochester up near the Rochester cemetery into a house with an inside toilet and separate bathroom downstairs and felt like the richest children ever to live in such a palace ,I stayed on this estate in several houses for nearly 40 years only moving to Warren Wood after my mum passed 5 years ago.

I lived on the Tideway; with friends/girlfriends in Orion Road and Pennant.  Had a drive round Warren Wood this summer after an absence of 40 years. I would have given you a wave if I had known whereabouts you lived.  :) The biggest shock was to see that it is now just one big carpark. Although that could be said for just about everywhere I visited. Star Hill, Jacksons, Troy Town, Borstal Gardens. In most cases I gave up the idea of looking around as there was simply nowhere to park.

I remember Bardell well as that`s where all us Troy Town/Star Hill mob played in the 50s and fell for our first loves in the  60s.  :)

Offline smiffy

• Appreciation 51
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 14:05:12 »
OS from around 1960. I'm sure the milk depot was Bourne and Hilliers, which we had delivered to the doorstep everyday. And in glass bottles, too!

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 12:19:27 »
I wonder if anyone remembers this road Bardell Terrace Rochester situated behind Rochester court house (now a dentist) ,the house's had no bath apart from an old tin one kept on the fence , no electric upstairs ,only one tap of cold water and no inside toilet just a toilet down the bottom of the garden, a coal fire and only a copper to heat the water up in ,I live at number 2 and my grandparents and uncles lived at number 3 ,there was 20 houses with 2 facing corporation street but when a lorry crashed into one they pulled the 2 houses down . Once we left the whole row of 3 story houses facing the railway track next to Roots the garage by the old Rochester train station ,where all pulled down ,we then moved to Bridge road in Rochester up near the Rochester cemetery into a house with an inside toilet and separate bathroom downstairs and felt like the richest children ever to live in such a palace ,I stayed on this estate in several houses for nearly 40 years only moving to Warren Wood after my mum passed 5 years ago.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:32:05 »
Im not sure I moved out in about 1971/72 and my grandparents where moved to corporation street ,it was not long after they pulled them down I will have to see if i can find out ,maybe someone on here may know.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:50 »
What year were these houses demolished ?

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 09:43:13 »
Thank you.. redge and numanfan  I didn't do too bad but both your lists reminded me of the ones I forgot or didn't get too right ,Bardell was a terrace of houses still living in the dark ages to a lot of people, when i lived there, as most people had inside toilets and hot water as well as electric throughout the whole house,the houses where coming to the end of their lives, ours upstairs rooms where inhabitable also the front room, so my parents and us 4 children lived in the back room on a studio couch top n tail,next to the kitchen with our copper for heating up water and the coal fire to keep warm and to bath in front of after we got the tin bath in from the back yard to fill with water from the copper ,  we would put a clothes horse in front for privacy, me being the oldest child got the clean water which was used for the rest of my siblings, i have to say during the night we had a bucket for using as it was along cold walk down the yard to the outside dark toilet . We may of lived in poor conditions but it made all of us appreciate what we did have as we later grew up, once we moved from their it was like living in a palace to have an inside toilet and separate bathroom and to each have a bedroom with a home with hot and cold water plus a gas fire, I still see a couple of the children now grown still in Rochester.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines