News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brands Hatch  (Read 5525 times)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
Re: Brands Hatch
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 10:36:05 »
Back in the 60s a workmate of mine (the proud owner of a 500 Norton) treated himself to a track day at Brands. He had got his laps down to what he thought was his limit when Derek Minter overtook him round the outside of Paddock! He said that was when he realised he would only ever be a 'café racer'!
mmitch.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:31 »
Thanks for confirming that Ron Stilwell! I began to think that my `little grey cells` were deserting me. I expect you remember Derek Minter, the "King of Brands". I once had a front tyre on my B.S.A 350 cc which, for some reason, Derek had discarded after he had won a race at Brands. I think it was an "Avon" and it was a devil of a job to fit. Initially, it was very strange as it appeared to pull the bike around corners. When I sold the bike, I made a great point of telling the buyer, "the front tyre was a Brands Hatch winner from the King of Brand`s Manx Norton". I believe John Cooper earned the title of "King of Mallory".

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 22:41:54 »
I recently read an article stating that Barry Sheene was a pioneer of the `knee-down` style of riding, which surprised me as I`m sure I remember John Cooper using this technique at Brands in the 50s. He `stood out like a sore thumb` as he was the only one on the track riding in this manner.
Can anyone else remember this or am I confusing him with someone else? I certainly remember someone who looked as if he was about to fall off at every bend and this was before Barry Sheene arrived on the scene, I think.
You're absolutely right.  John Cooper rode in this manner.  There were one of two others, but they were very rare.  John's style of riding was certainly well before Barry Sheene took it up.  I remember that it was around the early 60's, certainly 62 and 63.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 21:43:42 »
I recently read an article stating that Barry Sheene was a pioneer of the `knee-down` style of riding, which surprised me as I`m sure I remember John Cooper using this technique at Brands in the 50s. He `stood out like a sore thumb` as he was the only one on the track riding in this manner.
Can anyone else remember this or am I confusing him with someone else? I certainly remember someone who looked as if he was about to fall off at every bend and this was before Barry Sheene arrived on the scene, I think.

keith-17

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:48:27 »
The Hutchinson Hundred...... wrong way round!

That, in 1973, was the first race I went to at Brands Hatch, later called the BEN BALL TROPHY. I remember watching from the inside at Druids and seeing Peter Williams/Dave Croxford and Barry Sheene going the up and round Paddock Bend ...Amazing !!

patmore

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 20:11:45 »
The Hutchinson Hundred...... wrong way round!

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 22:45:02 »
My time there was from the late 70s right through the 80s, bikes and cars. Got to meet some great names in racing, from Barry Sheene and Randy Mamola on bikes, to Gerry Marshall in sports cars, to Keke Rosberg, Rene Arnoux and Stefan Johansson in F1. Those were the days when you could actually get close to the drivers and machinery.... Happy days....
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 22:04:14 »
Too young to have been there in the sixties I'm afraid  :) but regular visitor to the track now.

Have been lucky enough to see some of today's big names like Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikonnen racing before they became big names when they were still in the junior formulae.

My main interest at the moment is the British Touring Car Championship. Close racing and the cars can take a bit of rough and tumble without immediately falling off the track  like they do in F1 nowadays.

Glen

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
Brands Hatch
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 18:38:28 »
The thread on Johnson's café kept reminding me on going to Brands Hatch. I first went there on August bank holiday Monday 1964. The Guards International Trophy had Graham Hill, Jim Clark, Roy Salvadori, Denny Hulme and a host of Americans in big sports cars. Then they raced touring cars and then they raced formula 2 cars all on the same day. Young Jackie Stewart won the formula 3 race and a smaller sports car race. And the sun shone too.That started me on 20 years of regular race going.
mmitch.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines