News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zeppelin crash  (Read 8034 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: Zeppelin crash
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 21:38:52 »
2nd Lieut A. de B Brandon used Ranken darts rather than machine gun fire to attack the Zeppelin.
Since the Zeppelin did not go down in flames, he may well have missed!

According to one report the wreckage of L 15 could be seen protruding from the sea at low tide for some years after the First World War.

One Zeppelin crew member, Albrecht, was killed. When questioned about killing women and children Breithaupt said "You must not suppose that we set out to kill women and children, we have higher military aims. You would not find one officer in the German Army or Navy who would go to kill women and children. Such things happen accidentally in war."

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 03:41:29 »
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 19:10:31 »
Brandon was killed in a mid air collision over Manston airfield in October 1917, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for action aginst Gotha bombers on the 22nd August 1917.
There are contemporary pictures of the funeral which show up in various places, RAF Manston History museum being one.
The funeral started from Hill House Hospital which was at the top of the main road leading to Minster Village, the funeral parade went down the hill to Minster Church, after the service it returned to the main Minster cemetery which is at the top of the hill, on the other side of the road from the hospital. Where Brandon is buried, as to who paid for the headstone we do not at the present time know.His only relation was a sister who, as did Brandon, lived in Africa. The Grave is maintained by the museum. Although nothing to do with this thread Brandon was also involved in attacks on the Gothas, a bigger menace than the Zeppelins. 

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 16:50:26 »
Can You post the details up?   :)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 16:23:21 »
Brandon was killed in an accident over Manston Airfield,something that happened quite a lot in those days, he is buried in Minster Cemetery.
Anybody searching for his grave should be aware that his plot is civilian and not a commision stone, and it lies just inside the gate.
Full details and photos of the funeral are on display at the RAF Manston History museum.
As for any remains of the Zeppelin in the Estuary, unlikely the trawlers would have spread any what would be small light metal work all over the seabed by now.
Not like the mines that still come to light .

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 15:13:24 »
Brilliant, thanks Paul. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 13:27:03 »

Some of the Crew.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 21:40:47 »
Apparently not as Herb Collector's post in this thread http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9213.0 states that
Attempts were made to tow the Zeppelin to shore, but it foundered off Westgate. the remains were dragged up to Margate sands for inspection and then allowed to sink into the sands.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 21:16:04 »
I guess then that the last remains of a TRUE Zeppelin are still off of the Westgate Coast. Nice to know if she is still there.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 21:10:46 »
This is L15 which took part in an attack on London during the evening of 31st March 1916. Commanded by Joaqchim Breithaupt she approached the capital by way of Ipswich and Chelmsford after crossing the coast between Cromer and Great Yarmouth. When London was reached it was found to be well blacked out but the Thames acted as a guide in the moonlight. As she crossed Dartford she was hit amidships by ground battery fire which caused her Commander to turn northwards and dump much of his bombload in Rainham, Essex. She was then hit again by a ground battery in Purfleet before coming under attack by Second Lieutenant Alfred de Bath Brandon flying a B.E.2c. After throwing everything overboard that would help to lighten the craft L15 collapsed into the sea about a mile from the Kentish Knock lightship early in the morning of April 1st after the main frame had buckled in two. The crew were taken off by a flotilla of armed trawlers, with no more than four of the Zeppelin's crew taken on to any one ship. The trawler Vulture took the L15 in tow but the hull framework broke up, possibly due to a timed bomb being placed by pre-prepared crew member, and the wreckage sank off Westgate. Lieutenant Brandon was awarded the DSO for his part in the engagement.

Tina Bilbe

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 00:00:01 »
In the National Archives is a report of a team from Kingsnorth going out at 3am to examine a crashed Zeppelin 8 miles south and 86 west of the Tongue Light Vessel on 31st March 1916.
The Zeppelin sank soon after the team got there but they photographed it and got some information from it before it went down, and they set a buoy to mark the location of the wreck.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Zeppelin crash
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 20:51:54 »
With the Kingsnorth airship thread going strong I thought people might be interested in this photo of the opposition so to speak

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines