News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Warden point Sheppey  (Read 10135 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Warden
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 23:12:18 »
Thanks for all your comments.I think it must have been a windy day as the lady at the front of the bus seems to be having difficulty keeping her hat on,I think it might have been an official outing as there appears to be another bus in the background.The bus reg seems to be KW 9745 anybody know how to check old registration numbers.
   Almost certainly artistic licence cos there ain't no cliffs over there,it's as flat as a billiard table.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 18:43:39 »
Bridgestone House was demolished the Garden bit is still there.

Theres more about it in this thread http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35.0
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 16:47:06 »
Does anyone know if Bridgestone House (The Old Post Office/ The Smack) still exists or has it been demolished or fallen off the cliff?

Please Reply

busyglen

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 15:32:16 »
I can't work out why there are cliffs in the left background on this print....artistic licence maybe

Perhaps they are artistic representations of heavy rain falling from what look like storm clouds  [cumulonimbus ?]

Having looked at a map of the Island that I have hanging in my hall, I think it is probably artistic licence.  Warden does jut out quite a bit, but then recedes back around towards Leysdown and beyond.  Looking at the position from where this is supposedly taken, it looks as if it is possibly on a piece of cliff that has fallen.  If this was the case, it is possible that part of the cliff could be seen in the distance.  However, I still think it was done to balance the picture out.   Nice picture though.  :)

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 14:14:44 »
That bus is the style I remember M&D used to put into service odd times in the late 1950s. Presumably when nothing else was available, we discussed it a couple of months back but I don't think any suggestions were made that fitted.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Warden
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:27:01 »
A few shots of Warden from my fathers archive.

I can't work out why there are cliffs in the left background on this print....artistic licence maybe

One for the bus fans I guess, maybe the reg can give us an idea of a date

The last paragraph regarding the fate of the bells is interesting tho' I have no idea where the cutting came from

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Martin H

Re: Warden point Sheppey
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 20:47:46 »
Warden Manor was run by Toc h this was a charity with religious conections, so this was probably the retreat in question.
If you google Toc h ther is lots of info about them. I know that over the door of the Manor is said "Abandon rank all ye who enter hear"

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 14:24:25 »
Nice pic :)

The Retreat caravan park is still there on Warden Rd but he could have been talking about Warden Manor?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 13:56:28 »
Hi Sheppey_bottles,
   Back in the 1950/60 era my cousin who was a Laypreacher at the Headcorn Methodist Church, used to stay with us at Tunstall for a few days every summer on his way to spend a week at a Retreat at Warden IOS. Does any one know of it ,where it was,wether still there etc? I presume it was of a religeous nature and probably connected to the Methodist,s.
PS :- I hope I haven't hijacked your post.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
Warden point Sheppey
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:06 »
I obtained this lovely old postcard recently which shows a part of warden point that has now sadly gone down the cliffs.I should imagine it is 1920/30 ish and the old Post office is out of view on the left hand side. The cliff edge is now roughly between the white post and white gate on the left and the old metal fence is no longer there. Remnants of this old type of fencing can be seen edging the field opposite Warden manor.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines