News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Troy Town, Rochester  (Read 34364 times)

Rochester-bred

Re: Troy Town, Rochester
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 12:21:54 »
Smiler Im showing my age now, yes I call anything younger than me new
and in truth there is only 2 shops one now a ladies hairdresser and the
other a small mini market of sorts. :)

MOK

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 11:57:25 »
Is this the parade of shops that had Wooley's the barber in them ? I had to go there because my father knew him, he had some interesting reading material while you waited for a ten year old lad :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 11:37:17 »

numanfan, Looking at maps this would be on the corner of gravel walk and Cazeneuve street I think, I can only remember the Pawn shop further along as you pass the new parade of shops which is now Weavers court Underground car park. The advert is a great find .
     :) :) You dont get out much Rochester bred unless the've built a new parade of shops in the last week or so your "new parade of shops" have been there over 50years  :) :)

Rochester-bred

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:14 »

numanfan, Looking at maps this would be on the corner of gravel walk and Cazeneuve street I think, I can only remember the Pawn shop further along as you pass the new parade of shops which is now Weavers court Underground car park. The advert is a great find .

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 17:08:10 »
Hello seb I remember there were 2 brothers 1 had a greengrocery shop in King St it was in a row of houses opposite John St there was a bicycle shop on a corner of the row and Queenies cafe on the other. the 2nd brother had a greengrocery wholesale business an used to collect from Covent Gdn every morning in a green Bedford lorry he had a yard between what was Smallbones & Barnes & Brookers garage the yard which is only about 8ft wide onto King St is now a used car sales I think, apart from this I dont know anymore hope this helps you sure someone else here knows more.

seb

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 10:50:30 »
Hello smiler, do you know anything at all about Jennings the greengrocer you mention?

kevin payne

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 14:38:54 »
hi peter,yes smiler is right about the brown brothers i was thinking of.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 17:19:59 »
Smiler, I remember now. It probably was Smallbones - somehow Brown Bros didn't seen quite right when I wrote it. Where I was apprenticed, at Car & Electrical Services on Chatham - Maidstone Road, it was the job of the youngest 'driver' apprentice to do the errands, until the next in line got a licence. It often meant starting the day seeing what the mechanics wanted for the jobs they were doing, then touring the garages for specific makes of spares, and we used Smallbones for non-specific spares. Then there would often be the odd 'emergency' run during the day to collect parts for a mechanic, or going out to collect or deli
ver a customer's car.

I don't remember Kevin's Brown Bros, though, but I'm talking of 1945-1950.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 16:35:18 »

peterchall I know in the 50/60s there was a motor factors in King St named Smallbones next to Jennings the greengrocers yard which was next door to Barnes & Brookers could be the one your thinking of.
as for Kevins Brown Bros I think he means the lads whose father had a small lock up in church st? where he did a few repairs I used to help him out now and then still see his son John now and again.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 00:05:04 »
Hi Kevin, I don't think we are talking about the same Brown Bros. I am thinking of the nationwide chain of Motor Factors. I don't know their origins, or what eventually happened to them.

kevin payne

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2010, 22:14:31 »
hi peter chall,i remember the brown brothers when in my early twenties,there father would always by me a drink in the local pubs,a tough family but always friendly.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 14:01:49 »
A comparision of my photograph with man-of-kent's.

I think the locations are identical.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 23:59:18 »
It's me again. These Christmas Eve drinks are making my brain active and I've just had another thought. There was a motor spares firm in King Street in the late 1940's. Could it have been Brown Bros, before they moved to Clover Street, Chatham?

My  computer has notified me that it does not work on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, so I'll probably be back on Monday - best wishes,
Peter

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 23:34:22 »
I'm not sure if the premises you are enquiring about were in Foord Street or King Street, but Naylor's the undertakers had a garage next door to Brackley's.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 21:48:15 »
Hello peterchall. :)

Yes from 1940. When Kent Fire Brigade took over in 1948, the station moved sideways to the area on the corner of Foord Street. The Appliance Bay was in King Street (according to Cyril Daniel) and access to it was via the station entrance in Foord Street. My photograph that you mention must have been taken from the same place as man-of kents. I ask about ownership as there are no records in the museum, just the reasons why the station closed. KFB rented the land but nobody seems to know who from!  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines