News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Hill, Rochester  (Read 4928 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Star Hill, Rochester
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 14:23:32 »
This is from the OS map of 1866. If Boy's mill and Old mill were half a furlong apart, then Old mill would have been located somewhere on or near the dotted line. I'm not sure that the information provided by Coles Finch was always entirely accurate...

KeithJG

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:05:51 »
Old Mill and Boys Mill were on the same side of New Road at the top of Star Hill but at separate times. They were half a furlong apart from one another if they stood together which they didn`t as Old Mill was pulled down around 1865.

Mayor Boys Mill was a later Mill and when renovated did not last long and then demolished and the site was then used by Rootes Group Ltd. in the 1930`s.

It is Friday`s Mill which is opposite the New Road near the Vicarage. The resident Mr Apsley Kennette,former Town Clerk of the City, is supposedly the original Mill House.

This Mill is shown standing on this spot in a map of the City dated 1882........but i cannot find it :)

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:41:13 »
Having looked at the earlier OS maps of the area, it would appear that the mill at the top of Star Hill is shown on the 1871. Listed as Starhill Mill (Corn), its location is roughly 47m north from the centre of the round-a-bout at the top of Star Hill, close to the northeast corner of the 'Works' building listed as No.1 New Road. Though it is shown on this earlier map as a hollow hexagon, by 1897 all that appears is a curving section of walling incorporated in a property boundary wall. By 1907 and 1929 this boundary is utilised as the eastern side wall of a large building, which may be a forerunner to the current 'works' building. However, the present 'works' building is slightly smaller that this earlier building (not sharing the same eastern boundary) with a short section of the curving/angled wall of the mill fossilised in the end garden wall to No. 36 Nag's Head Lane.

In regards to the other mill near to St Peter's Vicarage, I also cannot find any evidence of it standing close to the vicarage site. It must be said that the vicarage appears to have been built between 1871 and 1897 as it is not shown on the earlier map, but is on the later. Either way, there appears not to have been a mill in this location since at least 1871, which would suggest the mill and the vicarage never stood at the same time? 

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 23:50:02 »
Thanks for your input. I realise now looking a bit closer at what information is available, that The Old Mill which "stood at the top of Star Hill in the field facing the hill" clearly implies it was on the opposite side of New Road from the later Boy's Mill. The other mill as you say "stood near St. Peter's Vicarage"  which is at the bottom of Pattens Lane, as it was then. I can find no trace of them located on any map I can find so unfortunately their positions can't be pinned down with any great accuracy. Boy's, or Belsey's mill seems to have been demolished around 1890.

KeithJG

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 22:23:10 »
The dates are correct according to Coles Finch book of Watermills and Windmills 1933 edition but although the location stated is 1  furlong SE of St. Peter's church in practice it is not exactly correct .

The Old Mill was a relatively small mill at the top of Star Hill and it earned sufficient money to pay for the erection of the Friday's Mill which stood near St. Peter's Vicarage which was at the bottom of City Way where the cut goes down to the Delce Road.

Therefore they were quite away from one another.

Boys Mill, built for Major Boys, was later known as Belsey's Mill after FF Belsey who ran it for many years.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 18:29:55 »
There appears to have been three mills on this site over the years, starting with "The Old Mill" in 1787, followed by Friday's Mill in 1843 and finally by Boy's Mill in 1877. However, Friday's Mill burnt down in 1852, yet supposedly the Old Mill wasn't demolished until about 1865. This implies that for around thirteen years two windmills occupied the same site at the same time. Can anyone throw any light on this? It seems to be difficult at times to pin down any precise information regarding the construction and disappearance of many windmills, even well-known ones.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:34:57 »
I wondered when a pic of that windmill would come up ! I work just along the road a bit further ( to the R ) and you can see the original garden walls  still there. What was originally the Mill house  (the one with shuttered windows ) became the Good Companions club, my son had his 21st celebrations and also wedding reception there, now it's part of the Independent College. The only thing to have changed much is the central chimney stack which is no longer there.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Star Hill, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 21:48:54 »
Top of Star Hill

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines