News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Location of Burham Anti-Aircraft battery????  (Read 8511 times)

Offline petejefferies

• Appreciation 0
Re: Location of Burham Anti-Aircraft battery????
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 22:07:14 »
Hi all...for what it's worth here is an aerial picture of the gun battery at Burham. This was kindly sent to me by Kent community archaeologist Andrew Mayfield. I had assumed the mound shown in the field was a Neolithic burial site.. :)

seafordpete

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 09:21:44 »
I wonareded what the quibble about cost was- I boght a short version a couple of years back for about £2.50. Just seen today`s prices, not quite in line with inflation!!!

3pinplug

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 20:03:10 »
Thanks David, pity it`s not free though as would be a very useful tool for all my future research.

Regards

Mark

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 10:50:39 »
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

3pinplug

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 18:51:31 »
Sounds like its definitely buried in the field shown on the Bing map in the earlier post, would like to be able to visit but obviously the land is owned by someone. Anyone know how you can find out via the web who owns a bit of land???

Thanks

Mark

3pinplug

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 19:36:59 »
If you look on google earth at the top of boxley hill, you will see harp farm. Apparently there was an AA battery here with 72 tonne concrete bases built for World War one, two guns I believe. Most of the 285 AA sites that were in place were removed before the outbreak of WWII, a decision we later came to regret!

Thankyou to everyone for your help so far with my post it looks like we're closing in our target.

Regards

Mark

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 15:54:05 »
Here is another list of AA batteries at September 1940, although grid locations are not given. But this list includes a Site S26, Harp Farm, which is not on the later list that we have been looking at. Could that be the one on Common Road that is shown on Google Earth, although there is no Harp Farm in that area on the today’s OS map? The Grid Ref of that site puts it next to the ‘Robin Hood’ PH:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2225.msg16845#msg16845

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 14:21:46 »
An eye witness report on the BBC website refers to the Home Guard company HQ being set up at Bluebell Hill. Perhaps the compiler of the Google Earth list got it mixed up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/02/a7065902.shtml
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

seafordpete

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:58 »
Where's the path website.  shows this as TQ 72138 61594 or 51.3272 0.469322  Those points being between the 2 features the smaller looks to be a pond or damp area
if you use the site http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
you get OS map and AP side by side and the NGR Latlong of the cursor shown on the bottom of the AP , other options are current OS v 1930s or 1940s

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 11:55:07 »
Doing some detective work I've spotted what looks like an AA site on an old 1970s map, roughly here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sjn64kh1573t&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=b

It's buried under the mound in the field now which goes along with what Ferret wrote about it in this thread: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2225.0

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:27:10 »
Try contacting Andy (RareFind) South East Defence Photos. He has one photo of Burham AA site in 1982, on his website. He gives it as TQ 721618, which is the site west of Burham rather than the Bluebell Hill site.
http://www.southeast-defencephotos.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=55

3pinplug

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 20:24:52 »
Agree that Bluebell would definitely be the better position, the coverage would be fantastic.

Tried the conversion calculator, imopressive piece of software -  but its got me beat!!

Thanks

Mark

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 20:04:46 »
Hi All

From my earlier download the google earth map puts an Anti aircraft battery on top of bluebell hill along common road, gives it the same S number as the Burham one, anyone know anything about this one, never heard of that one before??

Yes, my Google Earth shows 2 locations for S24, Burham, with different Grid references. I can't understand that unless the same battery had its guns divided over 2 separate sites, which would mean 2 sets of control equipment, etc. It would make more sense to have it along Common Road with a wider field of fire than down in Burham. Has anybody got the mental oomph to try converting the Cassini Ref - R162803 to NGR or Long/Lat using JohnVs post, to see what it throws up? 
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

3pinplug

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 19:03:07 »
Hi All

From my earlier download the google earth map puts an Anti aircraft battery on top of bluebell hill along common road, gives it the same S number as the Burham one, anyone know anything about this one, never heard of that one before??

3pinplug

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:40:12 »
Paul & Peterchall,

Thank you for the replies to my post, have downloaded the locations of the AA batteries and fitted to Google earth, fantastic piece of software. Just discovered one right near by that I never even knew existed.

Regards

Mark

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines