News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Last Lane and others,Dover.  (Read 18658 times)

delboy

Re: Last Lane and others,Dover.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 17:29:58 »
 here is an aerial view of the development of the York Street dual carriageway. I have highlighted some of the points of interest . Not all of the demolition is finished yet in this picture.
A This is Chapel Street. Where the light coloured  van is is about where the Dover Express printing shed was.
B Last Lane.  Where the first parked cars are above B is about where the Criterion Inn stood.
C Queens Hall in Last Lane and Queens Street. formerly built as a chapel.
D Mercers garage,they had just the first bay.
E. Warren and Reynolds with loading bays in Queen Street.
F. The Prince Regent PH next to Market Lane that led through to Queen St and Last Lane.
G. The Market Hall, main entrance in Market Sq. and rear entrance in Queen St next to Gaol Lane.
H. The Cause is Altered PH being demolished.
 Queen St. is still in use for traffic at the time, delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 21:56:58 »

The George shop in Snargate Street in 1943.For readers not familiar with the area,the ditch from the Drop Redoubt to the cliff edge can be seen on the hill behind.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:16 »
Yes thanks delboy,that photo has lost me too.Pity it wasn't taken further back in the Lane so we could see the pub and shop opposite.I might recognize the Lane then.Interesting link which had me thinking of a pub my brothers used.You probably remember it delboy as i think it was at the top of Queen St.Was it the "Cause is Altered"?Photo of it somewhere on the internet.

delboy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 19:45:11 »
towerwill, you are in Last Lane looking at Queen Street , then across the road is market lane that came out by the Prince Regent pub. The building is either being re-roofed or demolished. When I bought my car the garage was where that building is,Mercer Brothers. I believe Warren and Reynolds took over the building where the original garage was, you may find this link interesting delboy

http://www.dover.freeuk.com/entertainment/cinemas/queenshall.htm

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 19:37:13 »
Some very interesting info,Mercers and George were well known in that era.I'm trying to place delboy's photo.Was it taken in Last Lane as the lane across the road is narrower than i recall Last Lane as being?Has that building lost it's roof slates?

delboy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 17:02:15 »
 The name Last Lane has at least 2 possible origins. Derek Leach OBE in his publication "Streets of Dover" and JC Banks on his website The History Of Dover, both mention an inn called The Lass,circa 1776, that stood where (approx) the Criterion stood and indicate that the name should be Lass Lane. They also mention the "lasts" as well.  However, it was not the last Lane before the townwalls. I have scanned Pikes entry 1937/8 for the Lane. I have also a copy of a  picture from the Dover Museum collection that shows the lane looking into Queen St. with Market Lane opposite, this led into the Market Square next to The Prince Regent . The old chapel is on the right of photo and the bow fronted shop was where Ormes were in the 50s. Mercers Garage is where I bought my first car, a Vauxhall Velox, delboy

delboy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 19:24:24 »
The second job I had after I left school was as a "gopher" for the Dover Express (general dogsbody) and they used to store huge rolls of newspaper in an empty shop in Last Lane.This was next to the secondhand furniture and antique shop that was directly opposite the Criterion. The printers would roll one down to the press when required down Chapel Street. Ormes book shop was on the corner of the lane with Queen St opposite the old chapel. When I was older I used the Criterion for a while, Tommy Burns or Byrnes, was the landlord and the walls were covered in pictures of boxers as he used to box one time. He moved to the Invicta PH in Snargate St. when the area was developed. delboy

ellenkate

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 18:18:20 »

Last Lane was probably named because of the shoemakers there, ie. became Coulthard and Wilson, viz:

“DOVER BUSINESS TO CHANGE HANDS

“Somerset shoe firm take over next month

“Established over 250 years ago, and reputed to be the oldest retail shoe business in the country, Messrs Coulthard & Wilson’s, in Pencester Road, Dover is to change hands. Clarks Ltd, of Street, in Somerset, take over the business and premises, towards the end of January,” reported the Dover Express on December 27, 1963.
“Founded in Last Lane, by Robert Low, in 1710, the business has a long and complicated history.  The firm changed its name for the first time when Mr Law married a Miss Back and established a good trade in the name of Low and Back.
“Eventually their foreman, Mr Thomas Fagg, bought the business and built up a very profitable trade. He sold it to his foreman, Mr J. Wells, shortly after the turn of the 18th century.
“When Mr Wells died, his widow married Mr George Coulthard, who eventually took the business over, although he found trading very difficult at first.
“In 1821, only Freemen of the Town and Port were allowed to run their own businesses. He was summoned and asked to state why he exercised his “trade, mystery or occupation,” not being a Freeman of the Borough.
“That difficulty was overcome, however, and, with Mr Archibald Wilson as manager, continued to build up the business until his death in 1854.
“Mr T. Fagg Coulthard succeeded his father, and a few years later sold a half share in the business to Mr Wilson.
“Some years later, when Mr Coulthard retired, Mr Wilson became the sole proprietor.
“During the last war, the Last Lane premises were destroyed by enemy action and the firm moved to Pencester Road, where a shop on the corner had been opened in 1863.
“The sole surviving proprietor, 94-year-old Charles Wilson, who was born above the Last Lane shop and joined the firm 80 years ago, died on Tuesday,” the report goes on. “It was Mr Wilson who formed the Dover branch of the Boot Trade Association, in 1919.
“He was initiated into the Freemasons in 1904, and until his death was senior Past Master of the Corinthians (1208) Lodge.”

Ellenkate

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 16:23:20 »
That's some very interesting info.I don't have a Kelly's directory to look back at such info.Warren and Reynolds was a name i was trying to think of.Did A.A. Clark sell 2nd hand furniture as well?I've an idea my parents fitted their rooms out with furniture from a place in Last Lane.That'd be around 1945.That bookshop i can now recall and the stall in the Market Hall.The Criterion pub rings a bell too.I remember one of my workmates who did boxing in the army telling me how he punched some person in that pub and knocked him backwards out through the door!Wasn't the Dover Express offices not far away,as was a cycle shop?Possibly in Snargate Street.I can recall war damage in the area as you say.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 13:55:23 »
The wholesale grocer’s in Queen St was Warren & Reynolds, TowerWill. My Kelly’s directory (1962) lists, for Last Lane (Left from Queen street[sic])
1. Groves Archie, fried fish shop
3. Payne S.E.G. hairdrssr
5. Clark Arth A. antique dlr (his brother Jack was a colleague of my father’s, both Liverpool Vic. insurance agents)
(Right from Queen street[sic])
1. Orme Chares J. Antiquarian bookseller (Alladin’s cave! Though I usually bought my books from his stall in the covered market: every book 6d)
2. Lockyer Arth. Leonard
2. Rogers Jsph. Hy (evidently flats over the shop)
4. Shotton B. gen. dlr
6. Nicholls W. boot repr
8. Criterion P.H.

(Later addition)

The 1939-40 Pike’s Blue Book also has
9. Allison, Henry, greengrocer
11. Prentis, Geo. and Son, Ltd, wine merchants
13. Dills, house furnishers, and
10. Moore, William Francis
12. Draper, Mrs. Confectioner
14. Coulthard & Wilson, bootmakers (Tele. 532)
A quick check of the Dover Express bombs and shells map confirms that this end of Last Lane was hit by a bomb.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Last Lane and others,Dover.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 13:27:40 »

I came across this street plan i used as an office messenger in the late 1960's.It reminded me of how much of old Dover has gone.Some due to German shells and bombs and some due to early 1970's roadworks for the York Street dual carriageway.Ellenkate has a photo on KHF of those excavations.Last Lane was an interesting little lane and i can recall an antiques shop there with trays full of all sorts things like badges,buttons and medals.Across from it i think there was a pub.Across the road in Queen Street there may have been a food wholesalers with a loading bay serving lorries painted grey with a red stripe(that's what my memory's turned out anyway).Also nearby was the rear entrance to the old Market Hall.
Anyone else got memories of this bit of Dover?Some bits of the lanes etc still remain.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines