News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Last Lane and others,Dover.  (Read 17640 times)

Offline Bloodboy

• Appreciation 0
Re: Last Lane and others,Dover.
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 15:44:00 »
Dai would have been Dai Rees or Reece (I think the former)

jonesthenuke

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:08 »
The images of the Last Lane area are great. My father used to teach at St Mary's School, but the only image I can find is inside the school, so hope this is of interest. On the back row, fourth from left is Bob Winter, Fifth from left is Jack Jones (my father), second from right on front row is Dai ???. This was 1948. Anyone know the other names?

handyman

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 20:44:12 »
Thank you. We had to move from St Marys school in about '69 and it was knocked down soon after that. Would your photo not be earlier that '75 ?

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 14:15:08 »

Handyman -
here is an interior shot (about 1975)  of Mr Geo Fox's (baker/sweet) shop in Queen Street-  bring back memories?

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 18:23:34 »
I think i remember it(from the outside only).Any photos?

handyman

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 18:09:53 »
I used to go to St Mary's school in Queen street. Does anyone remember the little sweet shop ? Mrs Foxes. One of our teachers used to send us down there to buy his ten woodbine !

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 10:37:21 »

Before the Burlington monstrosity and roundabout were built.I can't give details about this postcard as it's stuck in my notebook.. The rear of that chapel can be seen too.The old brewery is still there as well.I'd need to check back to find the brewery's demolition date though.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 22:59:12 »

From Google Earth street scenes.This is the junction of Queen St. and York St. in more recent times.I think the site of Last Lane would have been somewhere on the left of the picture.I can't remember for sure if some remains of it crossed the bit of grass at one time.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 16:48:10 »

I took this photo in Febuary 1973 from the Western Heights.The Last Lane area is to the left of the roundabout.Looks like that much hated Tower block was under construction at the time.

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 20:56:02 »
Yes Delboy,that was probably the place.I was only about 6 years old at the time so i never paid much attention as you do at that age.The machines and a bottle of pop was about my only interest of the place.A treat on most Saturday afternoons!

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 18:50:47 »
strangelights, the arcade you visited was in the Queens hall, you used the entrance that was in Queen St opposite Gaol Lane. The pub was the Dover Tavern on the corner of Queen St / Bench St. If you came out of the rear entrance of the Market Hall the steps were directly in front of you. The other exit/entrance to the hall was in Last Lane If you look at the picture I posted you can see that "C" the Queens Hall is white and just down from it on the corner is the Dover Tavern.delboy

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 21:31:08 »
The Arcade i mentioned in Queen st from what i can remember would have been next to or near the Elephant and Hind which is now called The Flottila.Would probably have been on what is now a grassed area with wooden bollards.I can remember the Arcade as a White painted building with a few steps leading up to it.Maybe there was a couple of ride on toys outside.I can remember sitting outside with a bottle of pop while my Dad played the machines.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 17:04:36 »
I think i can recall that arcade too now it's been mentioned.I've been looking about for other photos but all i've found so far are in an interesting book about Budge Adams' photos.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:30 »
 strangelights, the arcade was in the Queens Hall for a while. It was first built as a chapel but was used by various businesses during its life, hers a bit from the Dover History site, delboy

The Zion Chapel, on the corner of Queen Street and Last Lane, was the first Dissenters' chapel to be built in Dover, being erected in 1703.  It was re-built in 1814.  After the amalgamation of 1900, it remained as a Mission Chapel until being sold to the Baptists from the Pentside Chapel in May 1902.
A few years later it was sold again, and became the Queen's Hall Electric Picture Theatre (cinema).  It was later sold to Mr Took, who used it for many years as a leather works, before finally becoming an amusement arcade.

The chapel was demolished in October 1974 to make way for a 5m "piazza" development.

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:04:02 »
I,m sure i can remember going to an Arcade with my father in Queen st?,would have been back in the early 70s.Would have been on same side as the pub.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines