News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Mary's, Little Chart  (Read 10264 times)

Christina

Re: St Mary's, Little Chart
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 14:07:13 »
Hello, I'm new to this site so I hope this works!  Re your question concerning a possible French connection with St Mary's of Little Chart - I may be able to shed some light. We have a medieval Chapel (said to be of Saxon origin) which at that time would have been 'of Little Chart', The Brockhulls, Darells and other members of Calehill are connected. I have an abundance of information as I have been researching for many years so if I can be of any help please let me know.  What in particular are you looking for? A Name? Unfortunately not all my paperwork is in chronological order so it may take a little while before I can respond.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 47
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 16:55:49 »
I am trying to find out if there is any French connection with st Mary the virgin church in little chart near pluckley Kent please anything will help me. Thank you.

What sort of connection?

The dedication to St Mary itself points to it having a very early foundation following the Kent King Ethelbert's conversion in 597.

dazwad

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 16:10:42 »
I am trying to find out if there is any French connection with St Mary the Virgin church in Little Chart near Pluckley, Kent . Please anything will help me. Thank you.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 23:45:55 »
I'm not suprised John E Vigar, its always closed, grass overgrown and no signs of where to find a key to visit. That doesn't promote visitors or any revenue.

Offline John E Vigar

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 15:22:29 »
The new church is, itself, under threat of closure at the moment.

ellenkate

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 17:19:51 »

Very interesting report and photos, Kyn.

A few additional bits about Calehill:

John DARELL  in 1410  bought Calehill in Little Chart.  His family remained in possession of Calehill for 500 years.
 ("Kent" Vol.1 County History)

Sir John DARRELL, of Cale Hill, builder of church towers Egerton, Little Chart and Charing
( Vol.XIII,  "Saunters through Kent" by Igglesden)

Mr DARELL (gent) of Calehill - arrived back at Family Seat (Calehill) after living on the continent for some years
(Kentish Gazette May  1790)

Ellenkate

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 17:13:02 »
Will have to go along and see them, I believe some things were moved to the new church but it was closed when we had a look.

They were and I was unaware until I dropped in to Egerton that they had subsequently been put there in the last couple of years. I have yet to get in the new one too.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:28:24 »
Will have to go along and see them, I believe some things were moved to the new church but it was closed when we had a look.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 21:56:14 »
Great write up Kyn, the Calehill monuments can now be found at Egerton Church which is open during daylight hours having been originally housed in the new church. They are worth a look and are at the west end of the north aisle there.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
St Mary's, Little Chart
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 20:52:32 »
In 1086 when the Domesday Survey was undertaken there was no church on this site, however, due to two yew trees being sited here it is believed that the land here was used for religious purposes previously.

Between the years 1200 and 1500 a church was built on this site in three stages.  The Darell family and Peter de Bending, Lord of the Manor, were patrons of this work.  The first parts of the church to be constructed were the Nave and Chancel.  These were constructed using locally quaried ragstone during the 13th century.  100 years later the north aisle was constructed as a private chapel dedicated to St Catherine, this was constructed by Peter de Bending who was later buried there.  An interesting feature added here was the squint.

The west tower and southern porch were added in around 1500 by Sir John Darell.  The Darell family arrived in Calehill in 1410, they were a powerful and rich family who held senior offices in local and national government.  The north aisle was once full of memorials and monuments to this family.  This aisle was 'adopted' by this family until 1753 when they built their own chapel at Calehill, this left the north aisle chapel unsupported and in time the roof began leaking and the floor collapsed into the below vault.

Calehill

The 1800's saw much renovation and money spent on the church, new stained glass windows were installed and alot of other work.  Oak panelling was installed in 1916 along with new choir stalls.

During the Second World War a V1 Doodlebug hit the church after being shot down after 8pm on the 16th August 1944.  The bomb caused the destruction of the church though fortunately nobody was killed.

Due to the damage it was decided to construct a new church and in 1955 the new church was opened.

The church today

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines