News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sholden Parish, 1847.  (Read 4027 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Sholden Parish, 1847.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 16:46:28 »
SHOLDEN PARISH – 1847

SHOLDEN, or SHOULDEN, a parish and small village one mile and a half W. from Deal, the highroad from Canterbury to Deal, crosses the high part of the parish, which contains 1880 acres of land, of which a considerable portion is marsh, in the Lydden Valley.  In 1841, there were 82 houses, and 465 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 238; in 1831, 356: rateable value, £3948.16s.6d.  F.E. Morris Esq. is lord of the manor; and the principal landowners are George Hooper, Esq., Rev. John White, George Curling, Esq., Edward Iggulden, Esq., and Captain Bean.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Nicolas, consists of a nave, side aisles, with a tower, in which are three bells.  The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicars of Northbourne; the tithes  are commuted, the rectorial for £345.6s.4d. and the small for £280.  The church of Sholden was always accounted as a chapel belonging to the church of Northbourne, and the tithes, both great and small, belonged to the abbot of St. Augustine.  After the dissolution of the abbey of St. Augustine, this church, with that of Northbourne, were granted to the Archbishop of Canterbury, and he is now possessed of the rectory appropriate of Sholden, which is entirely distinct from that of Northbourne.  The manor of Norborne, claims paramount over the parish, subordinate to which is the MANOR OF HULL, which was part of the possessions of the abbey of St. Augustine, given to it probably in 618, by Eadbald, King of Kent.  After the dissolution of the abbey, Henry VIII, in his 34th year, granted this manor in exchange for other premises to the Archbishop of Canterbury, and it still continued part of the possessions of that see.  Mr. Wm. Wyburn, the lessee, re-built the mansion of this manor, and was succeeded by his son, Mr. James Wyburn, who resided here in 1800.  HULL COURT, an estate held anciently by the family of Retling.  Sir Richard de Retling, died possessed of it in the 23rd year of Edward III.; it afterwards came to the Monin’s family, by one of whom it was sold to Sir William Crayford.  It was afterwards held by the family of Aldworth.  Richard Aldworth repaired the chancel of the church in 1630.  Charles Aldworth Esq., obtained an act in the first year of Queen Anne, for the sale of this estate, with his interest in the lease of the manor of Hull, and the appendent rectory of Sholden, to Mr. Daniel Wyborn, and in 1800 James Wyborn, was the possessor.  The present mansions are Sholden Lodge, and mansion, the seat of Edward RR.G. Banks, Esq.; Sholden Cottage, that of Captain Isaac Bean; and Hull House, the residence of Mrs. Wilson.

COLMANTON COURT, now usually called Cottington, is situated in the western part of this parish, the mansion of it dividing the parishes of Sholden and Northbourne, and part of the demesnes extend into Walmer.  In early times it belonged to the family of Criol.  Simon de Criol held it of the abbot of St. Augustine, by knights service in the reign of Henry III.  After various alienations, about the middle of the reign of James I., it passed by sale to Sir Thomas Smith.  After the death of Sir John Smith, his son, it was sold to the governors of Bethlehem Hospital, Moorfields, London, to whom it at present belongs.  George Hooper, Esq. is the lessee, and resides in the mansion, adjoining to which, eastwardly, was a chapel erected for the use of the owners; the whole of the ruins of which have long been removed, so that no vestige of it now remains.

THE BATTERY, No. 1, noticed with Deal, 2 ½  miles north from that town, is in this parish.  SANDOWN CASTLE, on the sea shore one mile N.E. from Sholden, is noticed also with Deal.

CHARITIES: There is no evidence of the origin of Hickman’s charity, but in the year 1719, there is an entry of £1 from it, payable out of a house and maltkiln in Sholden.  In the returns of 1786 this sum is entered as a charity given to the poor, but for a long period has been improperly carried to the poor rate accoung.

MR RICKMAN, devised to the poor a certain house which in 1786 was vested in William Adams.  This house has noe for many years been used for parish purposes, and is now divided into four tenements.

SIR THOMAS SMITH, by will in 1625, gave a certain sum of money vested in the Skinners’ Company, and of the annual produce of £5.10s for a distribution of bread, etc.  But this gift has now been paid since the great fire of London,  in 1666.

Banks, Edw. R.R.G. Esq. Sholden Lodge.
Bean, Capt. Isaac, Sholden Cottage
Chandler, Thos. Vict. Leather Bottle
Dewell, Samuel, Beer House, Foul Mead.
Dewell, Wm. Farm Bailiff
Graham, Morris, Vict. Chequers
Holtum, Lawce, Farm Bailiff
Sladden, Richard, Parish Clerk
Wilson, Mrs. Hull House.

FARMERS:
Capp, Friend, Rt.
Harvey, Mrs.
Ladd, Wm.
Lawrence, Margaret,
Marsh, John
Marsh, Wm. S. Winklnd Oaks
Paramour, J & W. Cartptrs
Rigden, Jno. Grocer
Wellard, Wm. Hy.
Whitnall, Thos.

That concludes Sholden.
From Bagshaw’s History, Gazeteer, & Directory of Kent.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines