News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Charnel House, Gun Lane, Strood  (Read 13973 times)

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 10
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Re: Charnel House, Gun Lane, Strood
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 20:00:38 »
Many thanks for the translation and extended history Merc and Apollo, it's very much appreciated  :)

It is an odd building being on 2 levels and with many windows, it appears to be accommodation now, although I'm not sure I'd be too keen on living in a former charnel house...
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

merc

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 18:38:52 »
(I hope Merc doesn't mind me jumping in and answering this question.)

Not at all, Apollo :) It's a much more informative reply than I would have given, thanks.

Apollo

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 18:25:59 »
(I hope Merc doesn't mind me jumping in and answering this question.)

The ever useful 'British Listed Buildings' describes the Grade II structure as a former charnel house (not to be confused with a morgue), built in 1856 to serve St Nicholas Churchyard.

Strood Union Workhouse was built at the north side of Gun Lane. Its infirmary still stands today, and houses a doctor's surgery; APEX Medical Centre.

The charnel house and adjacent graveyard can clearly be seen in the above map.

• Appreciation 10
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 15:03:44 »
Hello Merc,

I've had a look at the link, but it's all in archive-ese and I can't understand it... it used to be part of a workhouse?

merc

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 14:42:28 »

• Appreciation 10
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 14:34:44 »
Hello,

(I think I might of posted this twice?)
I'm intrigued by this building on Gun Lane, Strood.

Many years ago I was told it used to be a railway station (I may have heard that wrong) but I wanted to know if anyone can shed some light on this unusual building, please?

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 23:50:36 »
The infirmary block is still there, and it looks like to me the All Faiths School was built on the rest of the workhouse area.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 22:58:45 »
I remember reading about it, a small part of the building still remains!

merc

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 22:23:57 »
Looks like it Kyn.
The Strood Workhouse used to be just along the road from it too.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Strood/Strood.shtml

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 21:58:47 »
Nice one Merc, so only the basement was the morgue! 

merc

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 21:55:27 »
I found this at Cityark

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=%2F&SearchWords=gun

Additional records of Strood Parish Trustees (Strood in Need Charity) comprising:

Strood Charities paying-in book in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Rochester Branch 1872-1899 (1 booklet), Poor Rate paying-in books in account with Barclays Bank, Strood 1870-1889, 1894-1905 (W.H. Dakers, collector) and 1905-1919 (A.G. Smith, Overseer, W.H. Dakers, collector) (3 booklets), Watch Rate paying-in book in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Rochester Branch 1884-1895 (1 booklet), Strood Church Credit
ors paying-in book in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Rochester Branch 1870-1906 (2 booklet), Strood Country Rate paying-in book in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Rochester Branch 1874-1895 (1 booklet), Strood Intra Poor Rate paying-in books in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Strood Branch 1889-1901 (W.H. Dakers, collector), 1901-1912 and 1912-1920 (A.G. Smith, Assistant Overseer) (3 booklets), Strood Extra Lighting Rate paying-in book books in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Strood Branch 1902-1921 (A.G. Smith, Assistant Overseer) (1 booklet), Strood Borough Rate paying-in book in account with The London and Provincial Bank Ltd., Rochester Branch 1886-1895 (1 booklet)

Strood Rural District Council Bye-Laws respecting new buildings with covering letter from G. Wilkinson Prall, Solicitor and Clerk 1897 (2 items);

Circular letter from Hugh Owen, Secretary, Local Government Board, London SW, explaining The Allotments Rating Exemption Act (1891), with covering letter from G. Wilkinson Prall, Solicitor and Clerk to Strood Union Rural sanitary Authority 1891 (3 items, paper);

Printed financial statements or balance sheets for Rochester School Board 1891-1892 (3 items, paper);

Printed notices of Basis or Standard County Rates issued by County Treasurer?s Office, Kent County Council, Maidstone 1889-1894 (1 bundle, 9 items (including franked wrapper), paper);

Printed returns by churchwardens and overseers of men qualified to serve on juries, 1890 (6 items, duplicates)

Iron door lock and door knob with four iron keys and one brass key removed from the Committee Room;

[Archivist?s note. These items were salvaged by builders from the Committee Room, gun Lane, Strood, the former head office of various now mainly defunct organisations including Strood Parish Trustees, Strood (North Aylesford) Poor Law Union and Board of Guardians, Strood Union Rural Sanitary Authority, St. Nicholas? Parish Vestry, St. Nicholas? Burial Board and Strood Rural District Council. The building?s basement was used as a mortuary. The papers were handed to Councillor Sue Haydock (Rochester West Ward, Medway Council) for temporary safekeeping and deposited in the presence of Councillor Jane Etheridge (Strood North Ward, Medway Council), a Trustee of Strood Parish Trustees.]

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History

merc

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 21:00:14 »
Where's this please Kyn?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Charnel House, Gun Lane, Strood
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 20:55:39 »
CAme accross this a few years ago.  Apparently during the restoration they found a box full of old papers, not sure what happened to it though  ???

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines