News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: G.W.Gramuz  (Read 10606 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: G.W.Gramuz
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:46 »
In 1927 Minster Gate House part of Minster Abbey, was handed over to Dr David Randall Davidson the Archbishop of Canterbury. Here is an article from a booklet of mine called A Guide to Minster Abbey which records the event. The Gate House as many of you will know now is now our local museum and holds a fantastic collection of items of historical intrest from our Island.

PS.. What a generous man Mr. G. Ramuz was, to do this.

bigpete

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 15:18:19 »
I was talking to a friend of mine Enid Palmer nee Hemmingway and she thought thr photo of the Abbey Gatehouse ,Estate Agent was superb and she mentioned that
.  The shop shown in the front of the photo was her Uncle Fred Exeters cycle shop.

Looking at the picture of Ramuz's shop, I can remember next to the Working Men's club was 3 shops ! Nearest to the club was a tea room/cafe, then my Father's shop- Abbey Cycle Stores,( Fred Exeter ). then Ramuz's estate agency, run at that time by I believe Bob Ramuz, a rather large man who drove a Lanchester car, usually from pub to pub !!! Enid is my cousin's wife.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 20:30:05 »
Some years ago before the St.Georges school was built at Minster  I walked up the pathway to see what was left of Borstall Hall. I was looking at the remains and the foundations when I noticed that someone was watching me from the other side of the path.  After ten minutes  a very nice lady came across to me and asked me what I was doing on her land.  After I had explained that I was very interested in the old house she the gave me a postcard with a  sketch of the Hall and a short history of the hall and said that she had a lot of these postcards.  We had a very interesting chat.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

oldsunset

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 08:11:18 »
ramuz bought old borstal hall didnt he ? burnt down in the 1930s

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 13:23:06 »
Thanks for all your help on this one very much appreciated a fascinating bit of history.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 18:23:09 »
I was talking to a friend of mine Enid Palmer nee Hemmingway, and she thought the photo of the Abbey Gatehouse, Estate Agent was superb and she mentioned that the shop shown in the front of the photo was her Uncle Fred Exeters cycle shop.

Martin H

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:33:35 »
Fredrik Ramuz was the estate agent who carved up minster into plots and left us with unmade roads everywhere. His son George Ramuz started a building and decorating business operating from the yard at the back and built the houses in Baldwin Road etc. in the1930's. The staff outing probably included the staff from both businesses. I think Mr Youdale worked for F Ramuz.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:44:31 »
Surely looking at the board in front of the group, it is a Works outing for the staff of GW Ramuz. They had already had one before.

Does any one know if the firm was formed in 1936 or maybe they didn't have outings for a few years, if the firm was established earlier than 1936..

Martin H

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 18:34:13 »

This pic will explain everything. you can see where the group stood. The roof line in the modern pic of the gatehouse can be seen in the picture above and so is from a much earlier building,and as the stones are set in the wall, it is probably from a Monastic building demolished at the time of the disolution. The gate house would have led to a court yard with stables and barns, the manastic buildings would have been behind the church. The gate house itself was probably used for guest accomodation, and was outside the private part of the monastery. the groupe photo is the staff off Ramuz. The man near the centre with the glases and the diamond paterns on his jumper is probably Mr Youdale who was my wifes cousin xx times removed.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 14:10:51 »
There are some details of George Ramuz's operations on Sheppey in a book called "Arcadia for all: the legacy of a makeshift landscape" by Dennis Hardy and Colin Ward (Mansell Publishing, 1984).  His father, Frederick Ramuz, had been involved with the development of Southend.  He did issue free railway tickets from London for his land sales - the return halves were only handed over in the sale room after the sale, so you couldn't just use them for a free trip to the seaside!

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:37:14 »
Could it be one of Ramuz's free? trips from  the London area when he was trying to sell plots of building land in Minster ?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 23:47:34 »
Thanks for the info Martin H. I wonder whether the lad behind the sign is still alive I'd say he is about 7 then so would be about 80 now.It's also noticeable that they have have included the coach driver in the line up 4th from right standing.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 19:33:55 »
Is this the building that the roofline/doorway etc can be seen on the Gatehouse today?

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Martin H

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 18:28:06 »
The name is Ramuz the pic is outside the Minster Working mens club. The yard was round the back. The building on the right was the Estate office of his father Mr F Ramuz and was attached to the Gate house, which he gave to the people of Minster in 1928 ish.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
G.W.Gramuz
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 22:53:26 »
Found this amongst My dads Island photos under the Minster section,any ideas?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines