News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: All Saints Hospital, Chatham  (Read 19171 times)

silkenrobe

Re: All Saints Hospital, Chatham
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 11:53:08 »
Does anyone know or heard of any of the catering staff that was at that hospital in 1957.

I haven't, personally, but wondered if you had checked out Friendsreunited? There is a long list of former employees under All Saints, Chatham.
Now, you might find who you are looking for or one of these people on the list may well have more information for you.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/all-saints-hospital-chatham/People/a4cffe30-ab25-4806-8d98-054563be2dc6?take=40&keywords=&sort=Surname&from=1955&to=1965&end=false&page=1&pager=true

Good Luck

Shaun

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:50:07 »
Does anyone know or heard of any of the catering staff that was at that hospital in 1957.

Shaun

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:45 »
I had all 6 of my children there at All Saints, the first one ni 1976 and the last one in 1994, only one in the special care unit which was not bad for 6 premature babies. I was on Elizabeth ward, the same ward my mum went into to have her first child in 1958. I thought it was a great hospital, a bit old fashioned but with the right care for whatever was needed. My 4 grandchildren have all been born in Medway Maritine in Gillingham and I wish they had not closed All Saints which seemed, in my opinon, a better hospital.
So that would have been the old hospital your mum was in. It was actually the Catering Officer there I wanted info on at that time. His name was Kenneth Davis. He also attended Maidstone college 2 times a week. I Just seem to keep drawing blanks, but thanks for that.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 17:18:10 »
I had all 6 of my children there at All Saints, the first one in 1976 and the last one in 1994, only one in the special care unit which was not bad for 6 premature babies. I was on Elizabeth ward, the same ward my mum went into to have her first child in 1958. I thought it was a great hospital, a bit old fashioned but with the right care for whatever was needed. My 4 grandchildren have all been born in Medway Maritime in Gillingham and I wish they had not closed All Saints which seemed, in my opinion, a better hospital.
***I am still the child within***

Fred the Needle

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 16:58:05 »
My kids were born there in 1981, 3 and 4.  The last 2 being born in the same room!  And the eldest being born in the room next door.

I remember doing several dummy runs before the first popped out as it would be a cold November night when he made an appearance, I was sure.  I got it down to 3 minutes drive from door to door (ignoring traffic lights - and from Grafton Avenue Rochester, that was some going  :)).

Never needed to use that skill as they were all born after respective visits to the post-natal clinic when my ex wife was told to come in.  Ah well.....

Shaun

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:09:48 »
Thanks, I will try
Shaun

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 11:49:48 »
It might be an idea to contact Medway Archives, they may have records ? I'm not sure.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Shaun

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:16 »
I need to know if there is any possible way of finding out the names of the catering staff at All Saints Hospital, Chatham in 1957. I am tring to find out the history of a certain person that worked there. It is to do with a family tree. I wondered if there are any archives still existing that may help. Thanks.
Shaun

silkenrobe

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 22:03:00 »
I knew a couple of the nurses there very well (as friends and relatives, I might add) between the early sixties and late nineties.  As a child I knew the buildings well as I used to play there sometimes.  There was, I remember, a large tunnel which stretched from underneath the main building right to the bottom end where the Path Lab was. 

The wards were named after saints when it was first a hospital - the only one I can remember was Christopher, the children's ward.  I will be seeing someone next week who worked there for over 30 years as a nurse, so I'll see what more I can unearth from her memories.

This has some pictures of All Saints after it was closed and before demolition
http://www.historicmedway.co.uk/chatham/index.htm  I believe the owner of this site is a member of KHF
My eldest daughter was born there in '89, my youngest at Medway

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 20:45:08 »
I don't think this building was built when it was a workhouse, just the main building further up the hill.

Merry

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 20:34:07 »
I was born there in 66, my sister in 69 and my son was born there in 94.  I think he must have been one of the last generation of Medway babies to come into the world there.  It was pretty grim, I seem to recall, though of course when one is having a baby the surroundings tend to become unimportant after the first few contractions!

Some of it is now used as the Children's Centre and I have heard rumours that one of the rooms has a very sad and cold atmosphere which staff attribute to its workhouse days.

All the roads on the new housing estate are named after the wards, which I think is rather nice.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 20:24:48 »
The only remaining building

donna packer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 15:47:02 »
ah memories of all saints, my nan was a midwife there back in the 40s, my mum was born there(1950),i was born there(jan 1971),my husband was born there(1960), my children were born there(1996), being twins they were in the special care ward which was about a mile away from the ward i was on! the building itself was not very pregnant lady friendly! the staff though were absolutely brilliant, i had quite a bad time and ended up having an emergency section due to developing pre eclampsia so although being terrified witless,the auxillary nurse stayed with me through the whole saga, i will never forget that lovely lady, you dont seem to get that one to one
 care these days, so if you were that nurse(karen) and you are reading this, thank you from the bottom of my heart xxxxxxx

merc

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:31:05 »
Here's an aerial shot of the hospital

Zoomed in a bit...

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:16 »
View from the Nurses Home, showing the back of Sturla Road,where I lived from 1953 to 1970. Not quite sure which house, though. My 2nd and 3rd daughters were born in Elizabeth Ward, and my wife and I could wave to each other from the ward balcony/back bedroom.

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines