News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dartford Floating Smallpox Hospital  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
Re: Dartford Floating Smallpox Hospital
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 14:15:56 »
Great stuff in the link. Some bad info as well. There were two cat hulled paddlers built for the cross channel work. One was the Castilia, the other the Calais-Douvres was far less of a success. The Calais-Douvres had two paddle wheels between the hull in tandem. That meant that one was always in the dirty water of the leading wheel (she was a double ender so there was no real difference 'tween bow and stern) and that caused drag and slowed her down. Finally she was pulled from service and one last trial with one of the wheels removed showed what she could do. Sadly too late to save her though.

The Castilia though was a reasonable success. Her wheels were side by side, I believe they were independent. She crossed many times and for a few years was the equivalent of the Canterbury on the Golden Arrow/Fleche d'Ore service. Yes she was a little slow but she was a first class vessel, both stable in the rough and in accommodation. When re-wheeled with fewer paddle floats her speed and efficiency improved but as the odd man out her time was over.

When moored on the Thames initially she was further up stream toward Barking with the other, to become, hospital ships. This had the effect of narrowing the passage available. One of the recommendations after the Princess Alice disaster was that the three be moved closer to the banks.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:27 »
When I lived at Dartford we had a wealth of hospitals around the area but one that always stood out for me was the isolation hospital as we went fishing down near Denton, Gravesend. Here is a link to Dartford hospitals website, if you look at Hospital ships in the side menu there is a nice picture there of the floating hospitals...

http://dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk/long-reach/long-reach-gallery/

PS.. Take a look at the poor lad with smallpox.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:36 »
I would hazard a guess that the Castillia would be the ex-LCDR cross channel packet steamer. She was a catamaran hulled paddle steamer with the paddle wheel between the hulls. Thanks for posting the links Gents.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Dartford Floating Smallpox Hospital
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:50:44 »
A great old photo reproduced in today's 'Kent Messenger'. It looks like a row of terrace houses built onto the deck of a ship! No other info about it in the article even a date but I guess it to be late 19th - early 20th century. I better not reproduce it here as I don't want to get in trouble with the KM but I've found another photo of it on this web-site:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/MAB/

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines