News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guilford Hotel, Sandwich  (Read 9150 times)

Offline Carol gent

• Appreciation 0
Re: Guilford Hotel, Sandwich
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 15:44:48 »
Hello,
I have stumbled across info on theGuilford Hotel Sandwich.
It mentioned Old Downs Farm, my dad was the farm manager for New Downs Farm in the early 60s. Are these the same farms, but with a name change?
Any info greatly appreciated!
Thank you Carol.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 15:00:22 »
Thanks for a great photo in reply 5 Islesy, very impressed.

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Johnson044

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:52 »
You can (just) make out the rails curving across the toll road towards Old downs Farm in the right light- either the rails are still there under the tarmac or the tarmac is scarred from their removal. They used to be quite distinct. There are still some fence posts around Old Downs Farm which have dog spikes and sometimes soleplates attached. I remember the rails crossing the road near the golf club entrance near the white bridge- these must have been taken up in about 1983 or so. The loco shed at Guilford Wharf could still be found until relatively recently- there were large baulks of timber with dogspikes in them surrounded by granite setts and the ashpit was lined with blue engineering bricks.

Does anyone have any details of rolling stock? my father said he remembered simple timber wagons with inside bearings. I've never seen any photos- I do wonder if the North family of Waldershare might have some in their archives?

On another topic, can anyone substantiate the ancient rumour that there is a locomotive at the bottom of Stonar ballast pit lake? Presumably one of the Pearson locos inundated by a breach to the Stour? I've never really been sure of how the lake came to be flooded. I've fantasized about its recovery for years.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 00:06:12 »
Yes,there was a siding into Old Downs Farm,and this was where the loco 'Waldershare' was stored until it was scrapped around 1950,the rails of this siding,curving off from the 'main' line, could still be made out embedded in the road surface well into the 1980's...[just before the track that leads off to the farm and bird observatory on the right, as you travel from the toll gate heading towards the estate]

I think maybe the Guilford Tramway could do with a seperate topic all of it's own,I might start one later,but I would need to scan some stuff first..

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 21:31:15 »
I was told that the railway went in to Old Downs Farm where during WW1 an Army cycle brigade were billeted.  JohnG

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 17:11:26 »
That's great, Islesy - well done.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:09:56 »
I can't recall it being in the area where the footpath from Sandwich to the Bay joined the toll road.This path goes across St.George's golf course  
(i think that's the club).After a walk across the toll road,rough track and sand dunes one was on the beach.There wasn't a narrow gauge railway to be seen here.We started going to Sandwich Bay in the early 1960's.As i mentioned in the Lost Railways thread i do remember the rails crossing a farm road though.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:33:09 »
Does anyone know how far the 3'6" gauge track of the Guilford Tramway extended alongside the roadside in front of the hotel,-both northwards and southwards?

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 22:31:52 »
These are the Guilford Flats, originally built in the 1950s as Family Apartments for the Hotel in an effort to compete against the new fangled concept of package holidays. A covered walkway joined them to the hotel.

The gap between the flats and the next white building is the plot the Hotel stood on.

So taking Alastair's picture and the previous one taken yesterday, and making some assumptions (dangerous) about standard focal lengths and film formats used, this is what (give or take 5' or so) the scene should have looked like.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
Guilford Hotel, Sandwich
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:24 »
I visited Sandwich Bay yesterday in order to get some "Then & Now" pix, and whilst I was framing up a comparison picture I got into conversation with Gary Bancroft who lives next door to the Hotel site. Turned out he had an interest in the Guilford Hotel, and ended up looking at his small collection of photos and postcards. He kindly allowed me to copy some, which are reproduced here.

I've since found out that this photo, dates from 1916.
I've yet to process yesterday's shots, I'll post them up shortly.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 20:03:19 »
Islesy    -

particularly the second picture which shows a rail line running along the beach

That was the 3'6" gauge 'Guilford Tramway' that ran from a wharf on the Stour near New Downs Farm [TR343586] alongside the minor road towards St.Georges Golf Club then alongside Guilford Road to the estate & the hotel, being later extended northwest along the beach towards Princes Golf Club.

The line was opened in 1903 to supply materials for the construction of the Guilford Hotel & other buildings in this exclusive private estate.
The line ran until 1915 although it may have been used later during WW1 for military purposes.

A single locomotive worked the line  -  a Manning Wardle named WALDERSHARE being built new for the line.  [1611/03].

A short branch to the locoshed at Old Downs Farm crossed the private Guilford Road a few hundred yards after the tollgate & rail was still visible in the road in the mid-1950s.

A water tank at the wharf existed until well into the 60s & perhaps later & last time I was at Guilford Wharf in the 90s the wharf still existed, in a ruinous state.

There is a wellknown photo of WALDERSHARE with three 'gaffers' & I'm sure that someone on KHF will be able to post it,  my scanner is not very well at the moment.

After the closure of the line WALDERSHARE lingered on in the locoshed until broken up [by Wingham Engineering ?]  in the 1950s.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 19:08:15 »
Another couple of interesting views, particularly the second picture which shows a rail line running along the beach.

Ian Fleming used to stay here, and George Bernard Shaw made a fool of himself by chasing an actress here, Mrs Patrick Campbell, whilst she was trying to learn her lines for Barrie’s play The Adored One. After putting up with the love-sick playwright for several days, she dumped him, something Shaw took very badly.

The hotel was considered by the Canadian Red Cross Society as a rest home for nurses during the First World War, but the idea was not taken any further.

As far as I can tell, the hotel was demolished sometime in the 1970s.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
Guilford Hotel, Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 16:58:26 »
Found this Postcard of the Guildford Hotel near Sandwich, demolished some years ago.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines