News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twydall Shopping Centre  (Read 19649 times)

Offline prefabkid

• Appreciation 1
Re: Twydall Shopping Centre
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:32:48 »

Offline prefabkid

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:46:42 »
Taken from 1961 Kelly's Directory.
Twydall shops West side 1 to 19,
J SPENSLEY--chemist,PHYLLIS PRIDE--hairdresser,STH EASTERN NEWS--newsagent/post office,J RIX--hardware stores,TREMBETH--bakers,
STUARTS--dyers/cleaners,F JARVIS--fish and chip shop,GILLINGHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY,CO-OP--shoe shop,KEMSLEY'S--butchers,H SLADDEN--butchers,
G BROOKER--fruiterers,WORLD'S STORES--grocers,ARNOLD'S--cycle dealers,TOWNSENDS--drapers,CO-OP--grocers,L D HILL--greengrocers,
THRESHER--off licence,COPPER KETTLE--cafe.

Twydall shops East side 50 to 63,
CROSS--butchers,CONTINENTAL SHOE REPAIRS,PEARKS--provision merc
hants,F BOURNE--bakers,CO-OP--drapers,H J TUFF--chemist,
F W WOOLWORTH,FORBUOYS--newsagents,INTERNATIONAL STORES,J MEYERS--fruiterers,CENTRAL RADIO--radio/tv dealer,
HOME DECORATORS--wallpaper merchants.

Offline Uncle

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 20:13:00 »
That's a terrific picture, & I concour.....unless there's been some clever 'photoshopping', - I was mistaken! Just out of shot was a bakers that I was often sent to for a 'Long Tin'. On the other side were the older shops that included 'The Copper Kettle' cafe, then a greengrocers, the Co-op grocery store ( Mums divi: 22774)  Arnolds...(many memories - Dinky toys, Hornby, Corgi, bikes, in fact everthing a 7-year old needed!) Another grocers & then I think Jarvis's fish & chip shop...maybe a wool shop, the library, & a chemist I think at the top end...several I just cannot remember. I moved from Maidstone to Twydall in 1958....I thought that the newer shops were a little later than 1960, although I could very well be mistaken. I do remember them being built - as I do the large block of flats/maisonettes at the lower end of the shopping centre in Goudhurst Road. No doubt someone can fill in the blanks............. :)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 124
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Twydall Shopping Centre
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 21:51:21 »
Twydall, 1960.

International Stores, to the left with the striped awning.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines