News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Green Shield Stamps  (Read 17451 times)

Rochester-bred

Re: Green Shield Stamps
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 22:00:45 »
I too remember when Green Shield stamps was on the New Road. I`m not sure if it was the same building but I remember in the mid 70s getting a pushchair from a cigarette coupon shop either in the same place or very near also was the building Fads, a wallpaper shop too.

Offline Steve H

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 22:45:22 »
I remember the one in the New Road. :)

I also know a man that spent several years in prison for forging quite a few million stamps.

LocalLad

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 00:12:05 »
Thanks PaulG, the penny has dropped at last :).

My mind stayed fixed on the notion that, according to Wikepedia, Green Shield Stamps were rebranded Argos in 1973, and so must have been in with Bates/Sainsbury?s/Bentall?s before then.

But it's obvious that Green Shield started in HighStreet/Gundulph Road, and moved to New Road. Then when Argos took over from Bentall?s in 1984, Green Shield moved in with them; logical as, although separate firms, they were under the same ownership.

Green Shield finally ceased trading in 1991, so all  the dates fit. Green Shield's location in the Argos building was its last, not first location, as I was thinking.

I worked for Greenshield 1967/8 at the Gundulph Rd. site, this had been Lenleys or Letleys not sure which, they had been an ironmongers/DIY shop, Greenshield later moved to the New Rd. it was here that Greenshield were re-branded Argos and became catalogue shops, and they ceased issuing the stamps, but you were still able to redeem what you had for some time afterwards, then as 'Argos' they moved into 'Bentalls'.
The Greenshield company didn't cease trading, they just changed their name and mode of business.

Hope this helps.

LocalLad

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 23:36:02 »
I've tried dredging the memory for the Green Shield shop on New Rd, and think it was where the Reproduction furniture shop ( now empty) was , I've asked
hubby and he thinks the same, but it had been where Argos is at one time.

No, the one you want is further along, what is now the Heli Bed store, prior to Greenshield/Argos it had been 'Brewers' a builders & decorators suppliers.

LocalLad

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 23:21:08 »
Green shield shop were initially in the High St, Pentagon area, then up on New Rd. - old builders merchant. I think it didn't move until Argos took over.

I worked for Green Shield stamps in 1967/8 when they were in the High St. on the corner of Gundulph Rd., the place had been an ironmongers before Green Shield had it. I remember Radio Medway opened up while I was there on the other corner of Gundulph Rd., some while after I left Green Shield, they moved to New Rd. into what had been Brewers.

Also someone mentioned pink stamps. These were know as 'S&H pink stamps', Sperrey & Hutchins I think, they once had a redemption centre in one of the shops opposite Argos (can't remember exactly which one now) they closed long before Argos moved into what was Bates.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 22:37:56 »
I once got a British and a Swiss Tchibo catalogue for the same week. They were almost identical regarding what was on offer and, allowing for the exchange rate, the prices weren't that much different.

Re trading stamps: I've just found a picture of S&H Pink Stamps, as issued by Fine Fare. Their cash value can be clearly seen as .033p
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 00:02:35 »
These were 0.33p or .033p or just 033. Press Ctrl & + to enlarge, but it gets blurred:

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 23:06:50 »
If it was .033p it was 'new' money - 'old' money would be .033d
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 23:05:02 »
Green Shield stamps had a face value printed on the stamp which was .033p. Do not know if this was old or new pence though. When I was a kid I used to go round all my neighbours asking if I could have their stamps...I had gallons of books...pink ones too! They always gave them to me as I was always running errands for them..put a bet on, half a pint of Mackeson etc :) Boy what you could get away with at around 10+ years old.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 22:13:09 »
Does anyone recall a major outcry when a woman scrimped and scaped thousands of books from people that didn't want them to get a car?
When she reached the amount stated they said it was illegal and that she had to collect them all herself, though there was nothing in the rules.
No! she never got the car, and it put paid to others like schools collecting them from parents too.

I don't remember that but do remember someone trying to claim cash to the value of whatever item a book would buy. The Court ruled that the stamps could be exchanged for cash, at something like 0.01 penny per stamp!

Merv

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 00:06:14 »
Weird how Greenshield stamps are such a popular historic topic :)but.
Does anyone recall a major outcry when a woman scrimped and scaped thousands of books from people that didn't want them to get a car?
When she reached the amount stated they said it was illegal and that she had to collect them all herself, though there was nothing in the rules.
No! she never got the car, and it put paid to others like schools collecting them from parents too.

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 23:52:32 »
Yes, I vaguely remember Green Shield on New Road, also the Co-op stamps - they used to do a stamp worth 40 regular stamps to make it easier to fill a book (guess who used to have the job licking them wwhen he was a kid....)

Believe the old Radio Medway building is still called either Radio House or Broadcasting House.... summat like that on a sign outside it...
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 22:42:21 »
I definitely remember visiting the Green Shield Stamps Shop with my mum whilst it was on New Road, that would have been early to mid seventies, maybe soon after it was opened in 1973. And does anybody remember the Co-Op doing their own stamps? I recall they were light blue in common with their logo.

In the 1967 Kelly's, it was on the corner of Gundulph Road, which is now a Premier Convenience store.

And opposite what is now that convenience store is the building that Radio Medway used to occupy. I'm pretty sure it used to be there, it eventually became Radio Kent when its broadcasting area grew and then moved down to Sun Pier. Think it's now based at Tunbridge Wells.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 08:12:18 »
My mind stayed fixed on the notion that, according to Wikepedia, Green Shield Stamps were rebranded Argos in 1973, and so must have been in with Bates/Sainsbury's/Bentall's before then.

But it's obvious that Green Shield started in HighStreet/Gundulph Road, and moved to New Road. Then when Argos took over from Bentall's in 1984, Green Shield moved in with them; logical as, although separate firms, they were under the same ownership.

Green Shield finally ceased trading in 1991, so all the dates fit. Green Shield's location in the Argos building was its last, not first location, as I was thinking.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 21:49:40 »
Back to that elusive Green Shield Stamp shop and its relation to Argos.
I think I've established the history of the present Argos building:
1.   It was first proposed in 1960 for Bates and Sainsbury's - Reply#31
2.   Occupied by Bates and Sainsbury's in 1963 ? Reply#30
3.   Taken over by Bentall's at an unknown date.
4.   Up for sale by Bentall's in 1984 - Reply#27
5.   Presumably then bought by Argos.

I said that Green Shield shop was in the 'Argos site' 'at some time' (Reply#20)
Seafordpete says it was in High Street, then on New Road (Reply#23)
Lyn L says it was on New Road (Reply#29), but it had been where Argos is 'at some time' (Reply#35)
I spoke to eldest daughter on phone about it and as soon as I mentioned Green Shield she said, "It used to be where Argos is".
Numanfan has established that it was in High Street/Gundulph Road in 1967, and on New Road in 1973 (Reply#47).

So it couldn't have shared the premises with Argos, as I suggested in Reply#36. Yet 3 people remember it being in that premises. So I now think that it must have shared Bates or Sainsbury's premises at some time between 1963 and 1967. Has anyone else got any recollections?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines