News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alders/Debenhams Chatham  (Read 3978 times)

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Alders/Debenhams Chatham
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:57:24 »
I would have said that Allders opened not in 1983 but '79

I'd agree with that - I started a YTS there in Sep '83 in their general office and although obviously modern offices on the top floor it definitely was a few years old by then.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline sharmuk

• Appreciation 8
Alders/Debenhams Chatham
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:53:07 »
I would have said that Allders opened not in 1983 but '79. My mum was with them when the store opened and I was still at school but had a Saturday job in BHS so used to get a lift with her. The first time I drove a car after passing my test was when I took us home from the car park behind Allders. There was a snap snowstorm that day and it took quite a bit longer and a different route than normal.
"He's the hairy handed gent who ran amuck in Kent"

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Alders/Debenhams Chatham
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 18:43:15 »
Now another question. When was Allder?s (now Debenham?s) built, and what was there before?

Well Lyn L has answered the when, on my site (sorry :)), there's a picture from just after the war

http://www.move2medway.co.uk/index.php?main=results&id=134  - last image, with a comparison image 17
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Alders/Debenhams Chatham
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 14:12:50 »
Before Allders started, the old building there had been a kitchen and bathroom ? store, we bought our new kitchen from there. Not sure when that was demolished but according to Wikipedia  Allders opened new branches in Chatham and Basildon in 1983, and they were the first to occupy the building I do remember that. Seen how it was on old pics recently but can't remember if one could have been on the forum or not now. Could have been on City Ark will check it out.

Primark went into BHS old store, then added Woolies old site recently, with just a little shop in between, a cafe if I think right.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines