News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fine Fare, Chatham  (Read 6970 times)

KeithJG

Re: Fine Fare, Chatham
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 20:21:06 »
I was talking the large Tesco Supermarket :)

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 18:52:27 »
1973 Chatham High Street.
263/269 Nina Kaye, Draper
275 ???
277 Betabake (Kent) ltd Bakers.
279/285 Tesco (Supermarkets ltd) grocers.
287/Redway Discount Stores
redge

KeithJG

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 17:46:24 »
Here is "Fine Fare" in the 1960`s at number 270,Highstreet .....

Opposite was not Victor Value but Anthony Jacksons, which was  "Food Fare Ltd.,"  at numbers 279/285 according to my 1965 Kelly`s.

Opposite Tescos were only small singular shops.

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 17:11:34 »
In the 1960s I think it was Anthony Jacksons that was opposite, ?
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 17:03:53 »
In 1973 Tesco's store was opposite Fine Fare.
redge

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 08:24:02 »
Hello Rochester Bred, I'm searching for Margaret Ford who worked at Fine Fare, Chatham from 1960's.  Was Victor Value opposite Fine Fare?

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:38 »
My cousin worked in Fine Fares which was where the now 'In Shop's' centre is. Fine Fare was so good for not just food but everything. I used to go there with my mum every Monday and we would make a day of it and spend it down Chatham with our drinks and sandwiches and my little children, now all sadly grown, oh how I wish I could go back.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 21:26:58 »
Very tasty  :) :) :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 21:22:36 »
 Fine Fare had delivery access in Rhode St. On Sundays, when they were closed, my cousin and I would go round there to sort out the dented cans left in the bins. The problem was all the labels had been removed. However, after a few weeks we worked out what was in them by the weight and shaking, we did have the odd mishap though, like trying to put pilchards on apple pie.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 22:59:27 »
I remember my Mum worked for Fine Fare in the wines and spirits dept both before and after the extension. We always had strange tasting bottles of their apricot wine and other unlikely flavours.

LocalLad

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 21:52:28 »
Although the High Street has been talked about in the Pentagon Shopping Centre thread, I thought we could have a new topic covering the rest of what was once called 'Chathams Golden Mile' (stop laughing!)

This one from 1963 to start off

Harrisons, do I remember Harrisons, I should do I worked there for 2 years prior to its closure in 1970, a collegue & I had the job of boxing up the remaining stock for two weeks after it closed, you would not believe what was upstairs, it had been a workshop making coffins and it was left just as if the workmen had down tools and left, there were work benches all round the walls with tools still in their racks on the walls above the benches.
There were boxes everywhere filled with anynumber of things, where stock had been dropped in the shop, and had just been  scooped up and dumped in a box, which had been added to over the years, boxes containing nails, screws, nuts, bolts, and washers all shapes and sizes all mixed up.

The shop was bought by FineFare, was demolished and FineFares built a new extention to their store, even they've gone now.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 20:12:44 »
Hockley?s Wines, was No 282 and seems to be where Fine Fare was

Fine Fare was at 270, possibly about where the cart is further along the road?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Fine Fare, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:01:41 »
There was S & H Pink Stamps issued by Fine Fare. I can't remember where they were redeemed. I believe they were called S & H Green Stamps in USA but changed colour in UK to avoid confusion with Green Shield.

Talking of Fine Fare, and going back to the first photo, does anybody remember what was there before? Fine Fare, with its own multi-storey car park, was obviously a new build.

Fine Fare used to put piles of cardboard packaging boxes near the checkouts and customers could use these for their purchases, and there was an internal way from the shop to the car park. No free plastic bags - if you needed a bag to carry your shopping away, you had to supply your own.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines