News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Serena's, Chatham  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Philip1957

• Appreciation 0
Re: Serena's, Chatham
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:13:06 »
Bought an 8 track stereo system for my very first car, there, in late 1974. Pretty sure it was about opposite the Debenhams store. A very exciting proposition in its time. Products of the sort that were probably only found locally at the likes of Dixons but for lower prices. I think it was Indian owned.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:50:35 »
Is this the shop that was called Serena Super Save Store? With a sign doing something clever with all the S's?

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:28 »
I have just phoned my brother to see if he and he remembered the shop and he does remember all the calculators watches etc in the main window or the glass counter where you paid ,he said it was originally 128 where Sound and Vision is now then later moved to 375 where Chockers is now.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:03:30 »
My mum always bought her watch batteries from here and we would take ages looking through the shop as it had cheap stuff galore inside, I thought it was where the CHOCKERS shoe shop is now at number 275 High Street Chatham, unless it moved there later in the 70s/80s from some where else , Im sure some one will know on here.
***I am still the child within***

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:08 »
Nicked named Cheapjacks as were a lot of that type of shop them days

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
Serena's, Chatham
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:13 »
I see a company called Serena were at 128, I remember them a bit later on from the High Street, they had a shop roughly opposite where Debenhams is today.

I used to spend most of my pocket money on cheap tapes and general tat in there  :) Very much like todays pound shops, the isles were very crampt.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Serena's, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:03:48 »
A company called Serena were at 128, I remember them a bit later on from the High Street, they had a shop roughly opposite where Debenhams is today. They sold all sorts of things, a lot of them cheap imported brands that no one had heard of. I guess they were like a predecessor of today's ubiquitous pound stores. I remember that their front window was of particular interest to me as a small boy as they alwas had loads of cheap digital watches, calculators and other 70's gadgets.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines