News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Featherstones Chatham  (Read 17070 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Featherstones Chatham
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 17:28:02 »
The three I remember in Rochester High St were the Carpet Dept , opposite the Synagogue, ( worked there for a while ) it was originally 'home' to the Featherstone family I think , I was shown the small family Chapel upstairs there, and next door was the newest building which is now the Bike shop, then the last one was just along a bit opposite the Gundulph Rd and is the one shown in the other thread, strange I can't remember what the other two sold now but have a feeling Fashion was in that last one, shall have to look at the pic in the other thread and see what was in the window.
Also remember one lady who used to come round collecting payments from my M-in-Law, long before I worked there though.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 17:18:17 »
Had a browse through the old phone books in ancestry
1922 233 Rochester High St, 106 Broadway Sheerness

1923 375 Rochester High St, 166 Parrock St Gravesend, Bell House Bell La Sittingbourne

1934, 1958, 1964  Old Palace Gate Palace St Canterbury, 375 Rochester High St, 46/50 Earl St Maidstone, 106 Broadway Sheerness,
,Bell House Bell La Sittingbourne

The early adverts describe them as "Universal Providers"

Just discovered that it`s the Bell CENTRE that`s being demolished to make way for Travelodge. It looks as if Bell House will remain which was opposite Featherstones.

I`m a bit puzzled by "Bell House". Sittingbourne. As far as I can remember Bell House was built after Featherstones left and was on the opposite side of Bell Road, but I suppose the new Bell House could have taken its name from the Featherstone building. I think some of is being demolished at the moment to make way for a travel lodge.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 17:08:39 »
Just had it confirmed that you could buy `on tick`. My wife`s brother-in-law used travel around on his`bike collecting the payments.

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 16:53:56 »
Had a browse through the old phone books in ancestry
1922 233 Rochester High St, 106 Broadway Sheerness

1923 375 Rochester High St, 166 Parrock St Gravesend, Bell House Bell La Sittingbourne

1934, 1958, 1964  Old Palace Gate Palace St Canterbury, 375 Rochester High St, 46/50 Earl St Maidstone, 106 Broadway Sheerness,
,Bell House Bell La Sittingbourne

The early adverts describe them as "Universal Providers"

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 16:44:47 »
Featherstones, Bell Road, Sittingbourne also had suction tubes and I think you could buy `on tick` there as well.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 15:42:29 »
The only one I remember is the one opposite Gundulph Road, although it may have been more than one shop at the same location. There was a photo somewhere on KHF.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

twistedpretender

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 14:55:26 »
I definitely have a recollection of the vacuum tube system, and I remember childhood visits to Featherstones before the Pentagon opened. As I recall they occupied at least three different shops along Chatham High Street.

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 5
Featherstones Chatham
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:43 »
Was the Feathertone shop in the 1972 picture ever a Coaching Inn? If not could anyone tell me anything about it history.

I would be pleased with any help you can give me in this matter.

MOK

Featherstones Chatham
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 15:23:04 »
Yes, second option, the money was sent by overhead wire to a cashiers department. You then stood gazing vacantly into space while they prepared your reciept, put the small change in the canister and pinged it back. You could have easily walked over there in this waiting time, but I suppose one had to conform to the routine. :) They did have the suction tubes to do the same job from the upstairs floor.
Boring, I have to agree, but as said before, my old mum loved the place. You could get stuff on tick too I believe.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Featherstones Chatham
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 15:16:24 »
I have a vague recollection that Featherstone's had a strange system whereby you chose your goods at the counter in the usual way, but then had to go to a 'check-out' department where you waited for your purchases to be sent there. Or was it that your money was sent to a central cashier via the vacuum tubes or overhead railway, and you had to wait for change and receipts to be returned? Either way, I remember shopping with my mother there was a tedious affair, yet she swore by them. Was there some sort of 'dividend' system, similar to the co-op?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines