News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Featherstones Chatham  (Read 16537 times)

KeithJG

Re: Featherstones Chatham
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 19:19:26 »
Just had a look on Google maps Lyn L  and my "squarish" looking Featherstones is more to the left from the synagogue and your house is more to the right of it.

It is now Spemco Manufacturing!

I stand to be corrected the cycles was number 357 High St...the picture is number 337

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 18:11:49 »
It does look as though there is some work being done on the 'house' , architects board outside now, and it does look as though it has been cleaned up a bit on the exterior.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

KeithJG

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 16:15:26 »
The three I remember in Rochester High St were the Carpet Dept , opposite the Synagogue, ( worked there for a while ) it was originally 'home' to the Featherstone family I think , I was shown the small family Chapel upstairs there, and next door was the newest building which is now the Bike shop, then the last one was just along a bit opposite the Gundulph Rd and is the one shown in the other thread, strange I can't remember what the other two sold now but have a feeling Fashion was in that last one, shall have to look at the pic in the other thread and see what was in the window.
Also remember one lady who used to come round collecting payments from my M-in-Law, long before I worked there though.

Yes, that small squarish Featherstones opposite the Synagogue did sell motorbikes and my friend bought his Lambretta GT200 from them in 1965.

I don`t know anything about the Featherstone Family or where they lived but my stepmother in the `30`s/ `40`s used to work for them at a house they lived in up the Chatham Maidstone Road. She was always telling me how tight they were with money and she used to scrub their front door step as part of her work.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 18:30:29 »
This may be of interest

http://www.featherstonesproperty.com/history.htm

I was surprised that there is no mention of the Sittingbourne branch, which was in Bell Road, just beyond Packers, the shop with the `arched` entrance.

http://www.hrgs.co.uk/local-images/category/48-bell-road-images

Fred the Needle

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 14:20:54 »
I believe they just ceased trading, apparently the whole buildings are still owned by the family, but I might have to be corrected on that. One of the bosses ( Chris Featherstone ?) used to race cars in the 70s but what sort I have no idea, didn't see him very often.

At one point he raced a Formula 5000 car.  These looked like F1 cars but were powered by 5 litre pushrod V8's from American cars (don't you just love a geek).  If I recall correctly, Chris Featherstone's one was a Lola, maybe beige or orange, with a spaceframe chassis (you're boring everyone Fred  :)) and it was at least one season old when he got it.  I think there was an article in the Medway News about how he was going to win the Championship and I remember thinking "...not in THAT you won't..."

I remember Featherstones as they were the official school outfitters for the Math school and as such charged a fortune for the uniform - other, more savvy people (than my parents) bought the same stuff at about two thirds the price elsewhere.  I also seem to recall that they had salesmen who travelled around and you could order stuff from.  Then they'd come and collect the money either as a lump,or on the "never never".  A bit like the men from the Pru.

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 17:04:01 »
I recently bought a new bike from Cycle King (now trading from the original Featherstone building). From the carpark at the rear of the shop I was surprised (and delighted) to see the rear weatherboarding to the main Featherstone shop.

Regarding vacuum tube systems, they are still used today in supermarkets and hospitals. I worked, for many years, in the pathology department at Maidstone Hospital and was involved with the installation of a tube system from key clinical areas to the laboratory. Once installed, it greatly improved the efficiency and turnaround time for test results for patient treatment.

Offline N0SEY

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 12:31:52 »

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 10:45:28 »
I bought my wedding dress pattern for 1 and material for 9 from Featherstones back in the 70s and made the most Fab wedding dress for my wedding.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 09:32:31 »
I believe they just ceased trading, apparently the whole buildings are still owned by the family, but I might have to be corrected on that. One of the bosses ( Chris Featherstone ?) used to race cars in the 70s but what sort I have no idea, didn't see him very often.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 09:25:51 »
What happened to Featherstones ? Were they `swallowed up` by another company or just ceased trading ?

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 08:58:37 »
When I lived in Maidstone Rd Cookham Wood there was a man lived further down towards Valley View Rd who was a salesman in the bedding department at the Featherstones near Gundulph Rd.
This was in the late 50s or early 60s and he won 75K on the football pools, the biggest prize then available.
I believe he very quickly resigned  :) and moved to a very nice address not more than a mile or so away.
Slightly irrelevant I know, but all history.
AlanH.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 22:28:00 »
The only one I remember is the one opposite Gundulph Road, although it may have been more than one shop at the same location. There was a photo somewhere on KHF.
There is aphoto and another thread here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8611.0
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 20:46:48 »
Thanks for the reminder MOK, I do remember that now, I'd forgotten the downstairs, mind you  it was 1975 when I worked in Carpets.

MOK

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 19:42:14 »
Lyn L, the one that is now a bike shop was electrical goods, there was a downstairs that did radio, hi-fi and TV

Offline prb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 17:44:23 »
I believe they were coal merchants as well

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines