News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bouncing Bomb's  (Read 17170 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
Re: Bouncing Bomb's
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 23:02:44 »
Two photos of the statue of Sir Barnes Wallis on Beacon Hill Road, Herne Bay, and a photo of a 'bouncing bomb' at East Kirkby, Lincolnshire.
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 22:54:50 »
Second launch sequence of practice dropping the 'Upkeep' weapon at Reculver Bombing Range.

© IWM (IWM FLM 2338) An Avro Lancaster flying at 60 feet above the water, approaches the release point.
© IWM (IWM FLM 2339) The Lancaster releases the bomb towards the shore.
© IWM (IWM FLM 2340) The bomb falls from the Lancaster as the aircraft begins to climb.
© IWM (IWM FLM 2342) The bomb rises from the water after the first 'bounce'.
© IWM (IWM FLM 2343) A group of observers watches as the bomb bounces toward the shoreline. Dr Barnes, on the extreme left of the group, can be seen urging the bomb on.
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 21:51:44 »
Well after scanning them to your computer, you then need to upload them to a photo hosting site, like Photobucket or Flickr..

Once you have done that use this link and it shows you quite simply how to upload them to the forum...

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11707.0

Look forward to seeing your contributions :)

AlanPConroy

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 21:47:04 »
Certainly but can someone tell me how to put them on here please? I cannot see anyway of including images

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 19:12:36 »
Welcome to the forum AlanPConroy...

I would be interested in seeing the cuttings you have on the subject, as I feel other members would be also.

I suggest either putting the cuttings in this thread, or maybe even starting a new one in this board.

Hope I have helped a bit. :)

AlanPConroy

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 18:07:50 »
I was the Press Officer during the 1997 operation and have an extensive file of newspaper cuttings. I can copy them and make them available on-line if that would be of interest. I also have many photographs. If it is of real interest I can scan the material but where should I place it?

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 23:19:11 »
The Herne Bay Museum has one of the smaller prototypes also.

Barnes-Wallis is commemorated just up from the King's Hall...

Nobby007

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 23:06:59 »
I think Dover castle has a damaged one

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 21:59:16 »
The one at Manston is the one photographed at Fort Amherst in a seperate thread.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 19:02:49 »
The one in the spitfire museum at Manston was the smaller prototype version, and not the same as the ones used on the Dam Busters raid.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 18:03:09 »
I think that there is also one in the Spitfire Museum at Manston.

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 17:50:41 »
Hi ETA.

There is a complete bomb in the Barnes Wallis Collection at the Yorkshire Air Meseum at Elvington, near York. 
There is one in the Imperial War Museum at Duxford.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Duxford_UK_Feb2005_bouncingbomb.JPG
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 18:47:33 »
One of the reasons that a lot of the bouncing bombs recovered from Reculver are damaged, was due to the military clear up of the site after the war. Any thing sticking out of the mud/sand was blown up with a ribbon charge. Some of the bombs that were further from the shore got missed. As to what happened to the hundred bombs still in store in 1945, still looking.

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 18:23:25 »
.  Other people assisted: a liaison officer from RAF Manston was present, as was a SNCO from the RAF's EOD Flight in Wittering (whose task it was to confirm that there was no explosive hazard, .

His prescence would be purely political The RAF have ownership of all "Allied " ordnance on UK territory, generally their policy is to blow it up rather than immunise and move it. By rights there should have been a RN too as the "own" anything in tidal waters or ports

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 17:39:41 »
Hi ETA.

There is a complete bomb in the Barnes Wallis Collection at the Yorkshire Air Meseum at Elvington, near York.  I saw this specimen when it was put on display a couple of years ago and it is in perfect condition, I think that it was one of those brought ashore at Reculver, but cannot be certain.

Robin.   
Per Ardua ad Astra

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines