News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Caroline's Rochester  (Read 5897 times)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Re: Caroline's Rochester
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 19:01:00 »
Just a quick memory the chap who sold me a single one time that I had taken back to replace told me if I had any old records that where scratched put a little pile of pennies on the arm holding the needle which ensured the needle stayed in the groove and did not jump on scratches worked for me.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 18:57:47 »
I got my first single 'Jeepster' T-Rex and still have it , I loved this shop the listening booths and looking through the records 50p for a single but you could also get singles with 3 songs on for 30p if your was lucky. My mum bought me a second hand a Dansette 5 and the shop sold her 100 singles for 1 mostly hits of the 60s, I was in heaven as music was such a big thing to us young teenagers and followed me all my life even to having two sons in the production of music and as artist with recordings themselves. Caroline's the place to go every saturday when I would spend my babysitting money Thursday. Oh the memories!
***I am still the child within***

Offline david horne

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 15:52:07 »
I bought my first Single "Ride a white swan" by T rex there on decimalisation day with a new 50 pence piece, 15th February, 1971. I always assumed at the time the shop was named after the radio station but it seems more likely it was named after the owner's wife.

Offline sandi_01

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 16:39:06 »
rochester1...you just made me laugh with your comments...wish I could have been there! Thanks for that! :)

Offline rochester1

• Appreciation 18
  • 1936 - 22.03.2017
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 15:29:06 »
A thousand years ago I purchased an LP for my dad's birthday present from Caroline's; Henry Hall Favourites! I gave it to him and went back three days later to see him, only to find he had a problem with playing it. Like all children (I suppose I was still his child even at the age of 38). I didn't believe him and took it home to play on my deck. Sure enough he was right. It jumped on track 3/side 2. So there I was Saturday morning back at Carolines with all the cool dudes and chicks bopping away to their chosen tracks and explaining to the girl behind the jump what was the problem. She took the offending LP and turning off the music being pumped into the shop at 200 decibels, much to the annoyance of all the teenyboppers, put on track3/side 2 of Henry Hall. To say I was embarassed would be to underestimate my felings, as the strains of Henry Hall playing 'The Teddy Bears Picnic filled the shop! I barely got out alive, but at least the B***** thing had the decency to jump on track3/side2.
By the way, I'm still buying and playing vinyl but now on an old Pye Plack Box. Recent purchase; a pristine copy of Pink Floyd's  Dark Side of the Moon. Can`t be bad for a quid!

chippy1

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:34:50 »
I have very fond memories of Carolines in Rochester high street, I used to get all my singles (45s) and LP`s from there. They always had a large collection of artists and if they never had them, then they would order it for you, great place for teenagers and music lovers, always seemed. Also seemed to be busy and also very fond memories of the girls who worked there. I also used Disco 2 plus 2 in Chatham.

Roders

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 14:52:24 »
As a van rep. for RCA records, I used to call at Caroline's in the early 70`s at least once a week on my journey through the Medway towns.
Carol ran the shop and I believe was co-owner with her husband Manfred (?)
I do remember Cheryl who I think later ran a record shop in Chatham (K2?) her younger sister worked for Island records in the early 80's.
The one memory I have of Caroline's was dropping a box of Aladdin Sane in the road as I tried to close the doors of my Transit van!
The box split and 50 or so gatefold albums slid all over Rochester High St. I had lots of help retrieving them from the punters who were waiting for the delivery and no complaints as the album was in such demand.
I don't know when Caroline's closed but I think they started to sell confectionery and gifty things and records were slowly eased out.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:17:53 »
There were a couple of "attractive blonde girls" who worked there, snodlandmalc, as I recall :)

Unfortunately, I was at junior school with one of them so while my mates used to drool over her, I couldn't get "excited" at all (I think her name was Cheryl May but I'm not sure).  The other one however....(be still, my beating heart).
I remember going in there every Saturday morning (ok, as close to morning as you can get as a teenager) and either picking up a casette that I'd ordered, or ordering a new one to be picked up the next week.  I'd given up on vinyl at that time so everything I liked had to be ordered.

Anyone know when it closed?

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 16:15:40 »
Working  in Rochester in my late teens/early twenties for most of the seventies Carolines was a favourite haunt of mine, my boss at the time told me it was named after the wife of the owner. I can remember an attractive blonde girl who worked in there at the time, who people mistakenly thought was 'Caroline', but was only the manager.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 14:48:06 »
No, it wasn't.

I'm not sure if they took the name from the radio station to be "trendy" or if the woman who owned it was called Caroline.

aitch

Caroline's Rochester
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 15:47:36 »
Inthe '70's was a record shop called Caroline's I think it was something to do with radio caroline.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines