News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester  (Read 23606 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2017, 22:04:57 »
Signals, If that happened now someone would film it on their camera phone and it would be all over the internet within minutes.

By the way, the bloke whose meal it was must have been a bit cheesed off - he probably ended up being served with smaller portions!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2017, 17:49:52 »
Hi Smiffy,your comment about Andy Snacks staff reminded me of an incident that took place in the cafe. I was about sixteen at the time so it must have been about 1957 ish. Andy had a right old go at a lady staff member about the size of portions she had served a customer. The lady calmly picked up the dinner and slapped it in his face, you could hear the laughter all the way to Leonards shop l think. She then made a comment ref his parents 😱😱😱 and walked out, all part of life's rich tapestry. It's a reflection on our times, if you did that today you would have lawyers lined up to sue you, 'elf an safety reps on the doorstep etc. Andy took it well, a few days later Queeny was back in the cafe as if nothing had happened. Rough justice maybe, but that's how it was then.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2017, 15:59:58 »
I would imagine the poor staff who had to clean up afterward weren't too amused!

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 06:24:21 »
Smiffy thank you for showing me that, I see what you mean, sounds like the kind of thing my brothers would have got up to . :)
***I am still the child within***

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 17:03:47 »
He's probably talking about the reaction you get when you add Coca-Cola to salt.

This shows you what happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy0Hk6ZZc0A

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 10:58:28 »
We used to go Guying outside the Gaumont and somewhere in Newsspaper Archives I featured in a photograph with a sign to promote the place taken outside.
It went something like"What a Guy it was sat upstairs at the Gaumont Rochester"
Would have been around 1960-1964.
Whenever we made enough money we would go into Andy Snacks for a feast :) and play Volcano's with the Salt cellars.

Merv, I was wondering what 'Volcano's' was, please do tell.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 15:31:13 »
Shoot99, I would love to continue on the theme of the local area around the Star Hill roundabout, but may I suggest we are moving off topic ref. Majestic/Gaumont cinema, if any of you Troy Town erks and lasses want to reminisce about that part of Rochester, now long gone, I'm up for it but let's start a new section just for that. I have a few tales about the Rising Sun, Black Moors Head and many other local pubs in that area, to tell, but let's be good members and not publish off theme. No I don't want kyn`s job, she dose it so much better than anyone else, but the lady is tidy by nature, so before she gives us a warning, let's move it on to some other heading. Any ideas?😜

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 15:30:39 »
Although Star Hill was home from home for about 15 years I think I only used Andy Snacks two or three times. Nothing to do with health or cleanliness issues; more a case of not wanting to spend too much on grub. Easier and cheaper to walk up to The Delce for a bag of chips or cheaper still, some potato fritters.
I think Andy Snacks relied on a dedicated clientele to keep it going. It always seemed to be full of loners and characters; and in the days before take-a-ways, one of the few places that catered for the solitary eater. One of the characters I remember was a guy called Peter. He was always in and around the Star Hill pubs, Andy Snacks and the Gaumont. We kids called him Elvis; as he had the hair. He always wore a white shirt, jean jacket and jeans; all cleaned and pressed to an inch of their lives. That would have been during the 50s, and early 60s.
Anyway; certainly not the place to take your girlfriend after a night out at the Gaumont. Especially if you were lucky to grab the back row seats that were hidden by the large pillars that were at the back of the two main aisles. You could hear the usherettes/manager coming long before they could spot what you were up to. And one sure way to kill the romance was to take her into Andy Snacks for some egg and chips!

KeithJG

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 13:02:29 »
Can only say one thing about Andy Snacks :)

When I did the paper run on Saturdays from the end of Victoria Street in 1964 with my scooter, I used to go to Andy Snacks
until we saw a tramp lick the hard lumps off the top of the ketchup bottle......we never ever went there again....lol

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2016, 19:28:48 »
Hi all, I recall a similar blog to this somewhere on the forum some time ago, ref the Odeon/Majestic/Gaumont Rochester ,

from reply 25 onwards

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11502.15
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2016, 10:47:25 »
Signals99
Andy snacks is still there but now called Magees I believe.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 08:13:43 »
Hi all, I recall a similar blog to this somewhere on the forum some time ago, ref the Odeon/Majestic/Gaumont Rochester, it contained a whole lot of information and folks memories, especially concerning the organ and its story. My contribution to the tale is as follows:I lived in Union Street not too far from Star Hill  so much of my youth was spent in Andy snacks and other places now long gone.
My first wife, then known as Joyce Cox or Skinner worked at the cinema as an usherette for some time, the manager was a man called Tim, can't recall his last name but a very nice person, a real gent. The door man was a Mr Taylor, lived in John Street  Rochester, all the staff were a friendly crowd, when one of the usherettes had her wages stolen everyone chipped in to help.
A story of interest (Peterchall would have loved this) was that the cinema had a stand by generator, it lived up the alley between the cinema and Hobdays, the pram shop next door, the engine/generator came from a WW1 U boat scrapped on the Medway, I saw it on one occasion, it was massive, very similar to the generators I was to see later on in my life when I worked in the yard.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 14:22:02 »
I would go to Saturday morning pictures and then at 12 o'clock leave and go upstairs to the ballroom with the older children, where we would have a dance in hot pants etc and listen to a band. I remember 'Columbus;' playing there, I would always hide my make up from my dad and put it on in the toilets, mascara you would spit on with a little brush and lipstick made from beetles blood and often change clothes, as mini skirts and dresses were a no, no, with my dad.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 15:18:49 »
I was at the 1964 show. Remember it like yesterday . Second row from front  :) Shame I can't remember what I went upstairs for earlier.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

KeithJG

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:28 »
I also saw Spartacus and when Star Wars first came out at this Cinema and it was more or less my local one seeing as the Wardona in Strood was closed.

My main memory of the Odeon then in 1965 was when the Rolling Stones had a concert there.

I only went down to see them come out in the evening when they had finished.

I was stood by the cement, corrugated asbestos roofed bus stop opposite the right hand side wide alley alongside the cinema.

When the car appeared  we all ran up to it as the Stones came out and rushed into their limo. I was pressed up against the rear windows going ballistic!........I was 16 yrs.
I absolutely thought the Stones were "it" and the Beatles for me were just another group.

They also appeared in 1964 but I never went down there to see that visit.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines