News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester  (Read 23542 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 13:50:34 »
I well remember the Navy days, pre war, as my dad was an electrical fitter on submarines in the Yard. Particularly the aircraft bombing the sub. & destroyer in one of the docks (I was always interested in aircraft, so this just added to my enthusiasm). Much very noisy ack ack fire, lots of smoke & sacks of flour dropped from the aircraft (bi planes with the " observer" hanging over the side). A mass of people; I suppose a few thousand worked in the Yard so, if just they, plus their families would make a big crowd. Also the Royal Marine's band, so smart with their blancoed white pith helmets & webbing. Happy days.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 10:36:19 »
Many memories of the Gaumont and Navy Days flooding back. I loved both and reckon the dockyard visits were out of this world. They inspired me to take a naval entrance exam with some other lads at the dockyard back when I was 14 or 15, from memory...... I passed to enter Britannia as an officer cadet. I never went for reasons long lost in the mists of time. :-((( I suspect dad dying when I was 14 was the main reason.
Such is life.
AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 08:11:46 »
I lived behind the court house, 2 Bardell Terrace in 1968 so had a view from my bedroom of the picture house, what fantastic stories and memories I have of this place!
***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 20:57:26 »
Shoot99, I share you memories of the Majestic/Odeon. I lived in Union Street so Saturday morning pictures was a way of life to our little gang, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, plus many more were our heroes.
I think it was six old pence entrance fee to begin with, but not too certain about that now. How did it go? Started withe a cartoon or two, then a song , where a funny ball bounced along the words as we sang. Then the feature film, followed by the trailer for next week, though next weeks instalment had very little to do with last week`s trailer? I think the only think that topped the Saturday morning thrill was looking forward to Navy days in the dockyard. Now that was something to write home about!  I would love to hear any memories of Navy Days. What was your favourite bit? Submarines, the air display, operating a 40 mm Bofors gun, the fantastic displays in the drill sheds? Oh! so much to see and do for a young lad. Happy, happy days.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 19:32:48 »
Practically lived on the cinema steps during the late fifties early sixties as it was the place to meet for a lot of us local kids. Then on to the pictures, Andy's Snacks, wrestling or roller skating if we had the money. Or if not, Jackson's Field or Blue Boar. A lot of us moved away once they demolished most of Troy Town; (we were one of the last to go in 1962 from Morden Street), but we carried on for a few more years meeting there. Although as is the way with these things we slowly drifted apart as girl/boyfriends, jobs got in the way and by 1966 it was all over.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 10:48:04 »
Hi to all! My Mother-in-law worked at the Odeon with Miss Joan Weekes and Mr. J. Dades in the 1970s. Perhaps someone might recognise themselves in the attached image. Mother-in-Law is on the left.
Regards Troyboy

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 09:21:01 »
I and my brothers spent many a Saturday morning there at the matinee (was that what they called it?) watching Roy Rogers and all those other western heroes of yesteryear.  :)
Later on as a teenager I went to dance classes at Victor Sylvester's in the ballroom upstairs. I took a friend of mine from Blaw Knox with me a few times.....he was a really top bloke. But he was Indian.....
Went down like a lead balloon I can tell you.
Another mate of mine there got gold medals and was a really good dancer. All the girls I practised with are still suffering with bad feet..... :)
AlanH.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 17:00:58 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhBZ7oWmfuo

For those with happy memories of the back seats, check out the picture at 1:30.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 03:59:38 »
Hi Lyn L! Let me get this straight, you spent an hour or two in the back row of the Gaumont, in the company of a member of the Royal Navy who was off to sea for nine months, and all that transpired was, quote "that kind of kissing":- are you bragging or complaining ????? :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 10:25:03 »
You're very right rochester_bred, we were innocent back then and it would have been that kind of kissing in the back row  :) 'HE' was in the RN, and went away for 9 months the week after that first date, then we carried on  the romance when he came home , got married 18 months later.  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 09:39:36 »
The Odeon as it was in my time was the life and soul of us youngsters living in Bardell Terrace right on the doorstep for Saturday morning pictures and also when I got older the back seat for a cuddle and innocent kiss as we were innocent in those days, well I was. I was so shocked when they pulled it down but have so many fond memories of the place.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 06:56:57 »
My ex wife worked at the Gaumont/Odeon/Majestic in the capacity of usherette.
Some of the things she claimed to have witnessed in the back row would definitely not have passed the censor, even today? :)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 12:01:15 »
Lyn L that must have been some first date.Spartacus lasted a couple of hours  :)

Ah, young love! I can remember missing the film's to the cinema back then, was a place to be alone and in the dark!
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:07 »
Lynn L, congratulations, 49 years! Yes it was obviously worth it, as for the girlfriend `all`s fair in love and war'. Wish you many more years (you could get a video of Spartacus and watch the bit you missed) :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 09:00:47 »
Signals99....
Oh did it? We may not have seen ALL the film though  :) It will be our 49th wedding anniversary this year, so obviously it was worth it. I didn't say....  he had a girlfriend already but her father wanted her home by 9pm every night? He'd made arrangements to meet her outside the cinema, had met me the previous evening (I could stay out later :)) so got his pal to tell her he wasn't well. Poor girl, she only lived along the road though, in the Royale Cafe that used to be at the bottom of Nags Head Lane, her family emigrated to Australia not long after.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines