News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester  (Read 23563 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 18:01:32 »
Well done for remembering the year LynL  :)

The Times – 11 April, 1964
Detention for Stabbing Police Dog

A youth who stabbed a police dog during fights between teenagers at Rochester on Saturday was sent by the town’s magistrates yesterday to a detention centre for three months and fined £25 for possessing an offensive weapon.  He is ***** ******** *******, aged 18, of Brambletree Crescent, Rochester.
Stanley Victor Franklin, aged 18, of Dorrit Way, Rochester, who was said to have been in the crowd, was fined £10 for being drunk and disorderly.  It was stated that both had been sent to a detention centre for three months at Chatham on Monday.

Name blanked out to protect his identity as he is still local, although it can be viewed in the news report.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 16:34:22 »
Smiler, the Gaumont on Chatham Hill was originally known as the Palace. the only Medway Majestic was in Rochester.
:)Just testing Barrowboy   :)   No seriously I should have remembered that thanks mate :)     

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 15:30:16 »
Having lived just behind the Rochester court house which was opposite the 'Picture's' I spent every saturday morning without fail here in the good old days, when chocolate could be bought from machines on the outside walls cigarettes too and if you went round after chucking out at the Red Lion pub at a weekend you would find handfull of cash that many a tipsy man had dropped below them.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 14:24:05 »
Smiler, the Gaumont on Chatham Hill was originally known as the Palace. the only Medway Majestic was in Rochester.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 13:27:49 »
My brother and I used to go guying on the steps during the late 50s. Having a younger sister we dressed her up as the guy. Outside of bonfire night we used to ask people to change two halfpennies for one, or to change a penny for two halfpennies. Most people couldnt be bothered and just gave us some change. When we had enough one of us would go into the cinema, and let the other two in though the fire exit. Which if my memory serves me correctly was off the entrance to the toilets.
Dont think we were the only ones as for every kid who went to the toilets, about  half a dozen would come out two minutes later!
Happy days :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 13:13:45 »
It was called The Majestic before Gaumont ,the Gaumont over the top of Chatham Hill now a camping shop was also The Majestic.

Merv

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 15:18:32 »
I remember it Lyn because my Brother was nicked has having been involved in the fights, he spent the night in the old Police Station but was let off having been a bystander.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:51:11 »
That particular fight between mods and rockers must have been about 1964 ish. We are still friends with the 'Offender' that stabbed the poor Police dog, now he's a respectable Grandfather, not sure my memory serves me right , but  we seem to think he got 6months in a Juvenile Delinquent Institute ? as they were probably called then. It had started out as a great evening and just got out of control, but the fights were always happening. Do I also remember ? that may well have been the last time that any of us went there , apart from the Cinema area.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Merv

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 00:07:27 »
There was a big Mods n Rocker fight there one night and a Police Dog lost its life.
Must have been mid to late60;s

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 23:29:16 »
I didn't even know it existed but my dear lady has a glazed look in her eyes and a smile on her face reminiscing about the place....
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

jaj

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 19:47:00 »
Last flick I saw at the Gaumont/Odeon in Rochester was in the Warriors and that was in 1979.  How time flies eh!

Merv

Gaumont/Odeon, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:58 »
We used to go Guying outside the Gaumont and somewhere in Newsspaper Archives I featured in a photograph with a sign to promote the place taken outside.
It went something like"What a Guy it was sat upstairs at the Gaumont Rochester"
Would have been around 1960-1964.
Whenever we made enough money we would go into Andy Snacks for a feast :) and play Volcano's with the Salt cellars.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines